Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Insurance

Many thanks for this thread, it has me convinced to get some trip insurance. I remember a year or so ago our local TV station did a story about a woman who was in a ATV wreck in Aruba and then got stuck there because she could not fly home with a normal flight and needed to have an air ambulance to get out. Costs were astronomical. Here is the story:

http://www.wral.com/raleigh-woman-fr...dent/14582135/

Thanks for the topic...and helping me make up my mind!

Quote Originally Posted by TravelNLesa View Post
    Aruba Ace, my husband and I had the insurance conversation this weekend. His mother is undergoing chemo for stage 4 ovarian cancer. She will have treatment 4 next week plus a new pet scan to determine if and when to schedule surgery. Are there any travel insurance policies that cover cancellation of a trip for both the husband and wife when the MIL/FIL is ill/hospitalized?
    My understanding from when my FIL was terminally ill was that we would only be covered to cancel or end the trip early if he passed away. Illness or hospitalization was only a covered reason for cancellation it is was One of those travelling. There may be other policies out there though.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

In October my boss had a golf trip to Myrtle Beach SC scheduled with trip insurance thru Expedia. His wife was in a car accident and he had to cancel the trip. He was reimbursed in full.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Aruba since 1979
    way back in 2003 we had to cancel a cruise. my mother was ill.
    we were reimbursed fully.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    In October my boss had a golf trip to Myrtle Beach SC scheduled with trip insurance thru Expedia. His wife was in a car accident and he had to cancel the trip. He was reimbursed in full.
    Jacki, was it only your boss who wanted to go on the trio to Myrtle Beach? Or was his wife supposed to go with him and therefore on the trip insurance policy as well?

That would be interesting to know. Thank you.

Only the boss. Fairly serious accident though. She broke a few vertebrae in the neck
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Thanks for the response, Jacki. Sorry to hear that the accident was so serious. I hope, your boss's wife will fully recover soon.

Several years ago, my parents had a trip planned with another couple to New Zealand and Australia. The wife was subsequently diagnosed with cancer. My parents had to supply proof of her diagnosis (she did not have a problem providing that), and their trip was fully refunded. They eventually rebooked when she was able to travel.

The only concern for me, not airfare and hotel, but the cost of the medical
    on the island, want to be sure the insurance pays cost, minimal out of pocket..

I've seen where different options of insurance are offered. One option would be that you can cancel the trip without any reason or explanation. This type of insurance is the high end level.

The main reason I recommend insurance is the medical and the medivac should it be required as in the article Bradrobster attached and I thank him for posting. You just never know! On one trip, my Mother fell forward in the parking lot of la cabana. It was dark so she did not see the cement bumper in the parking space and she tripped right over it. Thank god she landed on her knees and broke her fall with her hands and did not bump her head.

Insurance also covers for lost and delayed luggage, trip delays and cancellation. I just got back from Puerto Rico and my flight was delayed for 10 hours. If the flight would have been cancelled and I had to book a hotel, my insurance was covering me up to $500.00 if the flight was delayed over 8 hours or was cancelled and i had to incur expenses for lodging, food etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast