Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Jet Blue changes their policy when fares drop and you already are holding a ticket.

Aruba since 1979

Jet Blue changes their policy when fares drop and you already are holding a ticket.

http://blog.wandr.me/2014/08/jetblue...-fare-benefit/
    by Seth Miller

this was sent to me a little while ago.
    JetBlue quietly cuts re-fare benefit

POSTED BY SETH MILLER ON 15 AUGUST 2014 IN NEWS, PAXEX | 317 VIEWS | 13 RESPONSES
    One of the many very customer-friendly policies JetBlue had was the ability to re-price a ticket for the exact same itinerary when the fare dropped and receive a credit for the difference in Travel Bank credit to be used towards future travel with the airline. Alas, the flexibility of that policy has been clipped a bit; it is no longer quite as friendly as it used to be, though also not completely gone. I firstsaw mention of the new policy on FlyerTalk this morning so I followed up with JetBlue’s Twitter team to get the scoop. And, as always, they shared the details.
    So now the free repricing is only available within 14 days of purchase. I’ve definitely used it outside that window in the past; this will definitely sting a bit. And the part where it was quietly introduced suggests that passengers may be surprised to learn about it for upcoming requests, especially on previously purchased tickets. Then again, I don’t know that it was ever a formally published policy so changing it on already issued trips might be vaguely reasonable.
    On the flip side, it is still more flexible than pretty much everyone else other than Southwest on that front. And given the pressures the carrier has been under lately from the investor community to extract more revenue out of their operations it is not too surprising to see a few cuts here and there to programs which are otherwise very wallet-friendly to the passenger.
    Outside the 14-day window customers will be subject to the regular change fees in order to get a fare credit. It is a sliding scale based on the original fare for the flight being changed so there is still a bit of a customer-friendly nature to the rule. Just not as much as it once was.
    Outside of the 14-day window customers can still re-fare, but the fee to do so is $75. That’s pretty much the same as the change fee, generally speaking (Clarification provided in the comments below).
    And Mosaic members continue to have the fee waived for their itineraries, including other passengers booked on the same PNR. I guess the value of that status just went up a bit, which is nice, though unfortunate that it is at the expense of the non-elite members.

POSTED IN NEWS, PAXEX | TAGGED ELITE STATUS, FEES, JETBLUE, PAXEX
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 08-16-2014 at 12:40 AM.

This is going to be a huge deal for those who fly Jet Blue to Aruba? In reading the forums over the years everyone has come to depend upon these fare reductions just as a normal course of things?

That's a bummer. We have used the credit program in the past but in recent years I've held off until I could get a lower price. Still 14 days is at least something.

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    This is going to be a huge deal for those who fly Jet Blue to Aruba? In reading the forums over the years everyone has come to depend upon these fare reductions just as a normal course of things?

I recall seeing a number of folks here who buy their tickets as soon as their date window opens then chase credits. No more.

I now wait and watch prices, knowing what is a low price worth buying. This year I'm going to consider buying tickets one way at a time. There are sometimes wide variances between in and outbound.

I was just a victim of this. I used to chase credits too. A few weeks ago I bought my ticket for Jan 25 - Feb 8. I had already called in for 2 credits totalling $71. Then I called in on the 15th day looking for a $21 credit. No dice.
    I think it's only a matter of time before JetBlue decides to start charging the same fees as the other airlines (checked bag fees, etc.). They know they have us by the short hairs, so they'll just nickel-and-dime its customers like everybody else.

Aruba since 1979
    i think you are probably correct sk.

i wonder how long before swa changes their policies....free checked bags, no change fee etc.

Quote Originally Posted by skbrandon View Post
    I was just a victim of this. I used to chase credits too. A few weeks ago I bought my ticket for Jan 25 - Feb 8. I had already called in for 2 credits totalling $71. Then I called in on the 15th day looking for a $21 credit. No dice.
    I think it's only a matter of time before JetBlue decides to start charging the same fees as the other airlines (checked bag fees, etc.). They know they have us by the short hairs, so they'll just nickel-and-dime its customers like everybody else.

Divi links, pool, beach, lighthouse, Arikok National Park, etc.
    I have a feeling I may be flying Delta more often. Their prices to Aruba also seem to be cheaper.

if u could buy one way ticket to Aruba and wait till right price pop up to get return one it would work[of course if you willing to take risk and hope price will drop]we doing it and so far it worked[3 spits over left shoulder
    ]

Quote Originally Posted by Lewny1 View Post
    I have a feeling I may be flying Delta more often. Their prices to Aruba also seem to be cheaper.

They *do* seem cheaper, though I don't know if the checked bag fees will make up the difference. Also, the seats are more cramped (31" pitch vs. 34" for JetBlue) if that matters for you.

Quote Originally Posted by yefim8 View Post
    if u could buy one way ticket to Aruba and wait till right price pop up to get return one it would work[of course if you willing to take risk and hope price will drop]we doing it and so far it worked[3 spits over left shoulder
    ]
    I'm doing this for the first time this year. I have a great price for the BOS-AUA leg and watching the return leg prices daily.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast