Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Jet Blue Xtra space question

Flying with the extra space will be as close as I ever get to flying 1st class I am thinking. I am strange with money, some things I won't typically splurge on and one of them is extra seating/1st class upgrades. I will report what I think about the experience after arriving. I am secretly hoping I don't enjoy it too much or my family vacations just got much more expensive, lol.

Sometimes it pays to fly first class. There have been times where a regular flight was costing me $800, $900 round trip because it was a holiday season and the first class was $950 or $1,050 so I figure if i was going to pay $800 for a regular coach seat, I might as well pay $950 for first class and be comfortable, get a meal, free bag check in and drinks.

So it really depends.

I just paid $260 round trip to Puerto Rico for September and a first class seat is like $800 so in this case I paid for coach. However, i booked with Jet Blue and paid the extra leg room for an additional $45 each way so the flight came out to $350 round trip. Now that same flight is going for $380 without the extra leg room.

First class is the way to go. I paid $650 RT in first for each of us with one connection for the upcoming (I hope) trip. That was only about $150 over coach RT. Going down our connection is 3 hours in Miami, but we are using that time to go through our Global Entry interviews. And Jay, since you've started playing the points game, remember that you get airline elite status levels also by how many legs you fly. With American, once you attain Gold status you are automatically put on the first class standby list within 48 hours of departure with a coach ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    Unfortunately, mint service is not yet available from Boston. They have announced plans to offer it though. Hate to admit it but I would be tempted to try it once.
    Peg, I was of the same presumption re Mint Service, N/S BOS~AUA. Just happened to check the JB website a few minutes ago and, lo and behold, Mint Service, N/S R/T, is now available - at least for the month of November where I was looking - Saturday flights' numbers 673 (to AUA) and 674 (return to BOS). The aircraft are A321's.

Thanks again guys, I am in Aruba and its awesome out. The extra leg room was perfect as well.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    First class is the way to go. I paid $650 RT in first for each of us with one connection for the upcoming (I hope) trip. That was only about $150 over coach RT. Going down our connection is 3 hours in Miami, but we are using that time to go through our Global Entry interviews. And Jay, since you've started playing the points game, remember that you get airline elite status levels also by how many legs you fly. With American, once you attain Gold status you are automatically put on the first class standby list within 48 hours of departure with a coach ticket.
    Delta's Medallion program is similar depending on your Medallion level for the year (Delta uses miles flown and/or legs flown - whichever number you achieve first.) My husband and I are both Medallion members and get bumped up to First Class about 80% of the time. Sometimes we get the free upgrade a week or so in advance and sometimes it can be while we're sitting at the gate (which is always a nice last minute surprise.) We also get the Delta Comfort (extra leg room, free drinks) seats for free in advance, too. I can't remember the last time we've sat in a regular coach seat - and I hope that continues.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

NH Mark, we're going in November as well so I just went back to check the JetBlue site. For our dates it shows a Mint column but beneath it there's a big ole N/A! Maybe it's only available on certain dates?

Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    NH Mark, we're going in November as well so I just went back to check the JetBlue site. For our dates it shows a Mint column but beneath it there's a big ole N/A! Maybe it's only available on certain dates?
    Let's see, we fly south on the 5th, north on the 19th.

Interesting, it looks like they're only offering it on Saturdays. We're heading down on Tuesday the 22nd. Maybe not as much demand on the weekdays?

The flight that I rebooked on today was 100% sold out after they added me at the last minute...I could see myself booking a sat/sat trip, lol.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast