Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Knee Defender

Aruba since 1979
    i think that the lady that threw the water lost a lot of credibility because she threw the water.
    when i first read the article, i was damning the guy who placed the knee defender on the tray arms..........but when she threw the water at him, her status as innocent victim came down more than a few notches in my book

I'm surprised the airlines haven't figured out a way to offer "premium", non-recline seating rows. Or, even better, reduced fare, non-recline seating rows. I'd sit up straight to save a few bucks on flights!

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    when i recline, i usually go back just a little and am not tall enough to bother anyone. I have had people in front of me go all the way back and pretty much are sitting in my lap. but the bottomline is, if you pay for a seat and that seat reclines, you're entitled to recline. it may not be a perfect system but it is what it is. i would never say anything to anyone sitting in front of me who reclines, even all the way. they have that right. i may not like it but its too bad for me. now i do think you have a right when someone keeps kicking the back of YOUR seat, (especially kids who have mothers who are oblivious to the world, though some adults are no better)

So, at 5'9", am I super-fun-size? I hadn't heard about the incident and had to google it. Being 5'9" and mostly legs, my knees pretty much hit the back of the seat in front of me before that person even reclines. My son hit 6'4" this summer and I now must always purchase exit row seating or you'll have his knees in your back if you're unlucky enough to be in front of him in a standard seat. It was the best Christmas present EVER when I purchased exit row seats 2 winters ago and I won't go back to standard seats if at all possible. It's no different for my 5'10" daughter and 6'1" hubby (we grow em big here in northeast Ohio). None of us fit on a plane very comfortably and a seat that reclines in front of us makes it a bit claustrophobic. But, the airlines make the seats reclinable, and we all pay our fare share...

We had a nightmare crammed flight where my dh was in the middle of me (a bit on the wide side) and a 6'5" neighbor and got then reclined on. From that day forward we agreed to buy the economy plus type seats or better when possible. In the extra leg room seats the reclining isn't such an issue to us. We typically don't recline but we also try to keep our flights no longer than 4-5 hours.

I don't think the knee defender should be allowed. But I also don't think the airlines should have reclining seats in the regular coach section.
    Last edited by Traceyd14; 08-28-2014 at 06:50 PM.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

wow, this is a hot topic...and as a frequent flyer to aruba and elsewhere I have been behind folks that recline. I personally do not recline as respect for the person behind me, but that is just me as I would not want the person in front of me to recline. But as many others have mentioned, if you pay for the seat you have the right to recline.
    I have had folks recline and it is usually not an issue unless they keep trying to recline more.....and keep trying to "force" the seat farther back....then I get nervous that it may snap and I will end up with an idiot laying on my 2 broken legs !!!!
    The up side for me is that i usually choose an aisle seat which helps and if I can when booking I choose bulkhead or an exit row (status with airlines allows this)

But, the knee defender is not fair to the person that paid the same price for a ticket. I think the airlines should make the person that used it remove it.....as for the lady that threw water.....she just, as Andrea mentioned went from victim to aggressor !!!! Now she basically is as bad if not worse as the KD user
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

It's a bit amusing that in all of the discussions about this issue, here and in other places, nobody seems to want to place the blame where it belongs -- on the greedy airlines, who have crammed the rows closer and closer together over the years. They are the ones that have created this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by rpumpire View Post
    It's a bit amusing that in all of the discussions about this issue, here and in other places, nobody seems to want to place the blame where it belongs -- on the greedy airlines, who have crammed the rows closer and closer together over the years. They are the ones that have created this problem.

I disagree. Whether the seats are closer together or farther apart, everyone had to deal with the same issue on equal footing (seating?). The KD disrupts the equal footing enabling one person to put themselves in a better situation at the expense of another.

Yes, but if the airlines hadn't crammed the rows so close together, it wouldn't even be an issue. Nobody would see the need to prevent those in front of them from reclining.

Airlines are entitled to a profit, folks. If you want more space pay the bucks and fly first class. Everyone is looking for a cheap fare so don't blame the airlines for tight seating.

Me? I'm cheap and can deal with the tight seating. However, don't dare pull the knee defender crap on me.....not that I need to recline...but, just don't do it as a matter of principle.
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast