Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: lines at airport

Aruba since 1979
    an no one yet has been able to tell us exactly "WHY" this is happening?

from all that i have read i know that , one of the scanner/xray machines has been problematic. (but that has little/no effect on the US CUSTOMS line)

the sequester has not kicked in yet for the US Customs so their furloughs are not yet in place.

this problem is or is not US Customs related?

reasons are still unknown?

began in early February so we are now 6 or 7 weeks into these "lines/delays"

dpemerald.......you are correct! spending 4 hours in an airport is not acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by DPEmerald View Post
    On April 27th we are going to Aruba for the 5th year. We go for 10 days and leave Aruba on either a Tuesday or Wednesday. The lines have been OK the last two years. I'm starting to think it's that we leave mid week or that we go after all the school vacations and have less people to deal with.

I hope we don't start running into problems. We love Aruba but would hate to have to spend 4 hours in the airport before a 5 hour flight.

I just got back from Italy, clearing immigration and customs in France and the US with ease. Maybe we should go back to clearing customs/immigration at the arrival airport in the states. What started out as a huge convenience has become in years somewhat of a last day ordeal many of us really don't look forward to. Although we get there early and usually have plenty of time to enjoy a last beverage at One Happy Bar, I would rather spend those extra hours with one last dip in the warm water, a pancake at Linda's or a Bloody Mary at Scott's Brats. We usually have a long layover returning through Charlotte or Philly anyway, may as well kill time in line at customs/immigration there.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    I agree Walt. The airport in Aruba is no way as big as Newark or JFK and it doesn't take 3 hours to get through security and/or customs. Something needs to be looked at. First off, why two security. If the USA has security, then those flying into the USA should go through USA security and those flying to other countries should go through Aruba security. I don't get why you need to go through two security points when there is nothing between the Aruba security & the US security. that would definitely knock off some time. even if it was half an hour, it sounds better to say it took 2 hours as opposed to 2/5 to 3 hours, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    I just got back from Italy, clearing immigration and customs in France and the US with ease. Maybe we should go back to clearing customs/immigration at the arrival airport in the states. What started out as a huge convenience has become in years somewhat of a last day ordeal many of us really don't look forward to. Although we get there early and usually have plenty of time to enjoy a last beverage at One Happy Bar, I would rather spend those extra hours with one last dip in the warm water, a pancake at Linda's or a Bloody Mary at Scott's Brats. We usually have a long layover returning through Charlotte or Philly anyway, may as well kill time in line at customs/immigration there.
    When I come home through Charlotte (4:40 departure), there is only 90 minutes or so before the last flight home. If there are any other international flights coming in around the same time, there would be no way of clearing customs and security before catching that flight. I think you would see the later flights moved up in order to allow those outbound connections.

Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    I don't get why you need to go through two security points when there is nothing between the Aruba security & the US security.
    Because there are things that you can put in your checked bag that you can not have on the airplane. Since you are in contact with your checked bags for US customs, you need to be screened again before you can get on the airplane.

We just left today. Our flight was at 8:25 am and we were at the airport at 5:30am. While we did have to wait for U.S. Customs to open, we were happy to be at the front of the line, as by the time it opened it was backed up a bit. That being said, we remarked that the whole process would be a nightmare on a busy day and could easily see how it could take more than 3 hours to get through everything. Just looking at the tiny Aruba security area made me cringe. The U.S security wasn't much bigger. I completely agree that clearing customs/immigration should be done at your first point of entry in the U.S. Perhaps it would mean some adjustment of flight times, but I don't know that I would continue to go to Aruba if I had to wait 4 hours to get through everything.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    if I had to spend 3 hours every time I left Aruba, I would have to find a new place to go. Once is okay but if that is the normal thing, then I don't think I could do it. It would become too stressful, sort of like the feeling you get on a sunday nite when you have to go to work on Monday. it makes you forget all the fun you had, just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    if I had to spend 3 hours every time I left Aruba, I would have to find a new place to go. Once is okay but if that is the normal thing, then I don't think I could do it. It would become too stressful, sort of like the feeling you get on a sunday nite when you have to go to work on Monday. it makes you forget all the fun you had, just my opinion.
    From my perspective after visting the island 13 times; 3 hours for departure will never phase us and why so many feel this to be a 'deal changer' is confusing. People will wait 1-11/2 hrs at a finer restaurant but not 3 hrs to depart paradise? Sorry, I have different priorities.
    Joe & Mimi

LIFE IS GOOD

We spend 3 hours on almost every trip to Aruba as we travel during busy season. While having to go through the entire "ordeal" is a pain, we just take it in stride as our departure routine.
    We actually prefer clearing customs in Aruba as this way we can almost guarantee our connection in the US (usually Philadelphia or Charlotte). Charlotte we only have one hour and ten minutes and would never make that connection if we had to clear customs. As explained above, you would have to clear security again and that is an absolute disaster. The few times we went Air Canada, we had to clear customs in Toronto before we took our final flight home. Waiting for bags, which could sometimes take over one hour, run to get through customs, put bags back on to be boarded, go through security all over again and then run to flight... 50% of the time we would miss that connection and have to stay over night. We would have over 2 hours to make connection but it just wasn't enough time. For those who need to make connections, the extra time is not pleasant but it makes it way better on the other end. No "sweating it out" hoping to get through everything on time to make connection. Trust me when I say this is far better to clear US customs in Aruba. I am sure many would have to stay overnight to get home as many connections are short and ppl couldn't get home all in one day.
    Last edited by Randi; 04-02-2013 at 02:48 PM.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

As we prepare for our trip later this month, I started off a little stressed over our Saturday departure after reading about all the lines. I don't want to leave our week of relaxation a stressed out mess. Then I remembered I am going to Aruba for a week , so there is no way I am going to let a wait at the airport get me down and ruin that week of relaxation. I'm just going into it with eyes wide open. Of course I hope they figure this out, but with the furloughs looming I really don't see a solution in the near future. I know the whole process seems a little overwhelming but I prefer going through customs in Aruba. For us, it gives lots of options for a Miami connections which usually have lower rates for us, and we have AA frequent flyer miles now. If we had to clear customs in Miami, no way I would want to deal with that as a connection. I would much rather do it in Aruba. Here is my question, (sorry I can't figure out how to start a new paragraph in the new format)...anyway...I have seen a few posts about them holding planes for people getting through lines. Does that mean that after I get to the airport 3+ hours early, I may then have to be boarded and stuck waiting on the plane for others? Again, its a small sacrifice, but I want to be crammed on the plane for as little time as possible. But if people are following the 3 hour rule and still not making it on time, I wouldn't want to see them left or anything like that, just want to be prepared.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast