Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Long Delay or other airport/airline nightmares

Aruba since 1979

Long Delay or other airport/airline nightmares

Forum member Aruba4ever and family encounterd a long delay yesterday due to the frigid weather in New England.

Have you ever experienced long delays going to or from Aruba ?

Why was there a delay and what did you do to pass the time?

In January 2005, a major snow storm delayed our departure by a few days. We got off on Tuesday rather than Sunday. That was a sad and frustrating couple of days and DW spent most of the time whimpering.

However, karma kicked in. The following year, our departure from Aruba was delayed because of storms back home and we had a few extra days in Aruba! With some scrambling, we got $99/nite rooms at the Trop. Needless to say we thoroughly enjoyed the extra time.

A women that was on the plane yesterday was telling me about losing 4 days last winter because of the snow in Boston on her 2 week trip...that makes my 4 hours look like 4 seconds...ouch.

Aruba since 1979
    Years ago, maybe 18 or more..we had an issue on AA with boston to miami to aruba.
    it was in august.

we left logan and due to airplane difficulties we landed in orlando and there was a change of planes and a 3+ hour delay.
    we sat thru the delay, and AA took us to Dallas.
    in Dallas, we connected to a flight to Miami and went on to Aruba.

all together it was about a 17 hour event and to say we were tired and a bit cranky is an understatement.

we practically kissed the ground in aruba once we arrived.

Lighthouse, Tiera Del Sol, Palm Beach, Baby Beach
    A number of years ago, they all blend together, left AUA for EWR and had to circle Newark because of thunderstorms, ran low on fuel, diverted to Philly had to get in there queue to land, re fuel, back in queue in Philly then again in Newark. All in all an additional 4 hours on the plane circling, landing, fueling, etc. Did not de plane in Philly. Needless to say the passengers were cranky. And no cart service !!! LOL

We had an issue a couple years ago on our way home. Our plane was delayed coming from Orlando. Then there was some kind of customs issue so all together we were delayed about 3 hours then had to board from the tarmac because there were no gates available. Southwest style boarding from the tarmac was a free for all with no assigned seats. Lucky for us we had a direct flight, lots of others missed their connections. We had been at the airport for about 6 hours total, then the chaos of boarding, and so many stressed people was not a fun ride home.
    At least that trip we were delayed in the airport. Most recently on our connection through Miami, we were stuck sitting on the plane for about an hour and a half. I've never been so thankful for 1st class in my life. They had to fix a bracket for an oxygen tank in the cabin. Wish they would have just let us sit in the airport, we never even pushed back from the gate so we were getting emails every 15 minutes telling us the flight was delayed.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

On my first visit to Aruba my flight with Suriname Airways to Curacao was delayed by thirty minutes. My connecting flight to Aruba was not scheduled to depart Curacao till 7:45pm that evening, so the delay did not bother me all that much as I would still have a lot of time in which to make my flight. On Curacao my connecting flight with Insel Air was delayed from 7:45pm till 8:45pm. To kill the added time I made a couple laps of the departure area looking around at the souvenir shops, purchased a copy of Stephen King's "Under The Dome" (1000+ pages, could not fit that book inside my backpack) and proceed to read it, while glancing up occasionally at my fellow travelers. The area where I was seated was crammed with people, looking around I wondered if ALL these people were going to Aruba? Only to see them all get up all at once to board a flight for Amsterdam, leaving the seating area nearly deserted. The delay was not all bad I managed to pour through three chapters of "Under Dome" before it was time to board, and having such a huge book made for an interesting conversation starter with a couple from the U.K. who were heading for Bonaire. The quick flight over more than made up for the extra time that I had to spend on Curacao.

This may not qualify as a delay, on my third trip to Aruba my layover on Curacao was 13+ hours(arrived on Curacao at 9:25am, to depart for Curacao at 10:45pm). When I made the booking I was expecting a layover of five or six plus hours; the site where I made my booking (Cheap-O-Air) told me that because of the price I purchased the ticket for I had to take the late flight from Curacao to Aruba. I was even entertaining purchasing a ticket at the Insel Air office on landing for an earlier flight to Aruba. Luckily a family friend arranged for a friend of hers on the island to meet me and show me around the island during my extended time on the island. It was great to see more than just the international airport. Got a pretty good tour of the capital city and some other areas before heading back to the airport for my flight. As my flight was the last one for the evening by the time I checked in most of the shops in the airport had already closed, so there was no chance for my usual hunt for souvenirs for the folks at home. While sitting near the boarding gate I was surprised to run into a family of four who had been on the Suriname Airways flight to Curacao that morning. Apparently they had checked into a hotel for the day before returning to the airport for their flight. The aircraft was a small and rather unusual aircraft, it had room for twenty+ passengers, and much to my surprise the flight attendant handed out Immigration Cards for Aruba before takeoff. The approach to Aruba at that late hour was beautiful, even at night the island still looks amazing. The airport at that hour of the night was like a Ghost Town, not a soul could be seen in the Crying Rooms(both upstairs and downstairs) and there were only three agents in the Immigration Hall. Then again there were only fourteen of us on the flight. Made it outside in under twelve minutes (a record) and had to wait twenty-five minutes for my friend to meet me to take me over to the Coconut Inn Hotel in Noord. Finding that place at that hour of the night was an adventure in itself.

Coming home in November, flying AA we got to airport, checked in and while going through US customs i received an email from AA that our flight was delayed 35 minutes......At 815 pm (3 hours after scheduled take off) our flight was officially cancelled and we were taken to the Ren for an overnight. The airlines said there were mechanical problems and the flight was diverted to the Dominican Republic for repairs. After about an hour-hour&1/2 wait at hotel check-in we were given a $12 food voucher for dinner and a $7 breakfast voucher.....(do they know you can barely get a drink for 12 let alone supper ......)
    Got picked back up at hotel at 11 only to have to suffer the airport routine yet again...
    Have I mentioned I hate AA....strong word yes, but with all the travel I do I rarely had trouble with the old USAir but ALWAYS had problems with AA. I never flew them, went with every other airline but them...now I have so many miles to use I have to deal with them....ugh !!!!!
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Two years ago in December, I had a multi-destination trip. I attended my friends' daughter's wedding at Disney World, followed by my trip to Aruba. In putting together a decent price for the trip, my return flight from Aruba to Hartford was on Air Canada with a layover in Toronto.

The morning of my flight home, they had an ice storm in Toronto, so the arriving flight to Aruba was more than two hours late. That should have been my clue right there, but after a long, multi-stop trip the thought of getting home must have clouded my mind. There was little chance I would make my connecting flight to Hartford -- which turned out to be cancelled anyway.

I ended up stranded at the airport in Toronto. Air Canada set up one long line for folks to stand in. I was in the line for over an hour, when it finally got to an area where it opened up into a larger room. From there it was clear it would be at least three or four more hours standing in line before getting service. And all they were doing was issuing hotel vouchers. The people finishing their business at this point were being issued vouchers for hotels 80 miles (or kilometers, I can't remember) away. They weren't re-booking any flights.

I immediately got out of line and found a comfortable seat as it was clear I was to spend the night stranded at the airport in Toronto. As I sat, I pulled out my tablet computer and got online. Although the agents at the airport weren't re-booking people, I was able to re-book myself onto a next morning Air Canada flight at the cost of $925 (it's a short flight on a "puddle jumper" plane).

Later, in seeking some reimbursement, Air Canada wouldn't even acknowledge any of my correspondence. At the very least (and I mean "very least!") I should have been entitled to reimbursement for the new luggage fees I had been charged, as my luggage had already been paid for through to Hartford.

At least I got home the next day, after a 25-hour ordeal. But after Air Canada completely ignored me, I will certainly never again travel with that airline. And how the hell can they justify $925 for a short flight from Toronto to Hartford?

The lesson learned from all of this, of course, is that the next time any potential travel issue comes up -- an extra night in Aruba would be the best option!!!!!
    Last edited by rpumpire; 02-18-2016 at 12:26 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast