Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Long Delay or other airport/airline nightmares

Aruba since 1979
    you win!
    yours so far is the worst.

what a crummy deal that was. yikes.

i bet many of our canadian members have horror stories too about that airline.

Quote Originally Posted by rpumpire View Post
    Two years ago in December, I had a multi-destination trip. I attended my friends' daughter's wedding at Disney World, followed by my trip to Aruba. In putting together a decent price for the trip, my return flight from Aruba to Hartford was on Air Canada with a layover in Toronto.

The morning of my flight home, they had an ice storm in Toronto, so the arriving flight to Aruba was more than two hours late. That should have been my clue right there, but after a long, multi-stop trip the thought of getting home must have clouded my mind. There was no chance I would make my connecting flight to Hartford -- which turned out to be cancelled anyway.

I ended up stranded at the airport in Toronto. Air Canada set up one long line for folks to stand in. I was in the line for over an hour, when it finally got to an area where it opened up into a larger room. From there it was clear it would be at least three or four more hours standing in line before getting service. And all they were doing was issuing hotel vouchers. The people finishing their business at this point were being issued vouchers for hotels 80 miles away. They weren't re-booking any flights.

I immediately got out of line and found a comfortable seat as it was clear I was to spend the night stranded at the airport in Toronto. As I sat, I pulled out my tablet computer and got online. Although the agents at the airport weren't re-booking people, I was able to re-book myself onto a next morning Air Canada flight at the cost of $925 (it's a short flight on a "puddle jumper" plane).

Later, in seeking some reimbursement, Air Canada wouldn't even acknowledge any of my correspondence. At the very least (and I mean "very least!") I should have been entitled to reimbursement for the new luggage fees I had been charged, as my luggage had already been paid for through to Hartford.

At least I got home the next day, after a 25-hour ordeal. But after Air Canada completely ignored me, I will certainly never again travel with that airline. And how the hell can they justify $925 for a short flight from Toronto to Hartford?

Thanks, Andrea! What do I win? As long as it doesn't involve travel on Air Canada, I'll accept!

As I pointed out (although you re-quoted before I added it), the lesson learned is that with any potential travel issue, the best bet would be to spend another night in Aruba!!!!
    Last edited by rpumpire; 02-18-2016 at 12:50 AM.

Speaking of which, I just noticed I am now a "Senior Member". What do I win for that? LOL

Aruba since 1979
    you win a big pat on the back for not going "postal"
    Thanks, Andrea! What do I win? As long as it doesn't involve travel on Air Canada, I'll accept!

As I pointed out (although you re-quoted before I added it), the lesson learned is that with any potential travel issue, the best bet would be to spend another night in Aruba!!!!

Rpumpire, Twenty-five hours to get home?? OUCH!!! That makes any delay out of T&T or Curacao look like heavenly experience. Cant's say that I blame you wanting to avoid said airline.

Speaking of which, I just noticed I am now a "Senior Member". What do I win for that? LOL
    Has the Porsche not arrived? It might take a few days.

Sunday March 20, 2016. United flight 1650 to Chicago scheduled for 1:50 PM. At check-in was told there would be a 2 hr delay as the in-bound aircraft had to return to DC for mechanical issues. No problem with our connecting flight in Chicago as we'd have sufficient time. Fastest we ever made it through customs. 20 minutes to the gate and that included me having additional security due to metal hips. As the afternoon passed I had 4 flight updates/delays on my phone however information at the gate continued to show the original scheduled departure. The last update had departure at 7:00 PM leaving no chance of making the connecting flight. At approximately 5:00 PM got a notice the flight was cancelled and one attendant appear to begin dealing with passengers. Fortunately I was roughly 6th in line. Overnight at Renaissance with coupons for dinner and breakfast. Special flight scheduled for Monday afternoon. We made the first bus to Renaissance. Not sure how long it took for all the passengers to be processed. We're retired so I looked at this as another travel experience. Better to overnight in Aruba versus Chicago. Somewhat disappointing to find out the dinner coupon was for $10. A hamburger at Ren is $12. Had never stayed at the Ren so now we have that under our belt. Our Monday customs was not as smooth as Sunday. Our printout tickets from the kiosk had a big X. Proceed through custom agent with only 2 stations open. (everyone on our flight received the X) Turns out that on Sunday when we went back through Aruba customs to go to the Ren, they never scanned our passports so the US scan showed that we weren't in Aruba and had departed the prior day. Easy fix once we got to the agent. Plane departed approximately 15 minutes late. Just prior to landing in Chicago the pilot apologized for our inconvenience and instructed us to visit United customer service website. Bottom line we got a written apology and were offered 15,000 miles or a $300 e-certificate. Made it home a day late. Not much inconvenience for us but appeared some of the working folks were extremely upset. Bothers me more that United never provided a single update at the gate including a notice the flight was cancelled. Only those with phone notices knew what was going on.
    Joe & Mimi

LIFE IS GOOD

I talked to my cousin yesterday who was on that flight that had to return to DC that Sunday. They were originally supposed to get to Aruba Saturday afternoon and got bumped from the overbooked Saturday flight. Then they were on the Sunday flight that had issues and had to turn around. They ended up not getting to Aruba till Monday. They lost 2 days! They still had a great time though.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

We Missed a flight in Charlotte

family made it to aruba, but I stayed in charlotte another day
    Last edited by __steve__; 04-03-2016 at 07:30 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12