Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for information about Newark

Looking for information about Newark

I am just about done looking at flights using USAir from PHL.
    over 500pp plus baggage and no flight amenities.
    But it is a convenient airport for us

Looking at Continental out of Newark-which would leave at 8:30am non stop.
    We would get their via amtrak at a cost of 80.00pp round trip- it takes 1 hour 10 minutes.

Am looking for information regarding a hotel CLOSE to the airport or one that offers a free shuttle. If hotels are cheap enough I may consider heading to Newark late on a Saturday evening---stay over- grab a breakfast and head to the airport at 6:30.

Do you have information?

Look into this www.parksleepfly.com also. Stay overnight the night before your flight and park your car for 10 days at less money than your Amtrak option. Please post if you find you can save a few bucks using EWR.

Personally I have never been able to make it work for us and just do the USAir N/S out of PHL, at the prices you are finding. $450-$480pp, plus $46 r/t for a bag.
    Aruba where the toughest question each day is "where to dine tonight".

The flights we are looking at is for Sept. (i am hoping that at 300 days I should see price reduction)

The flights out of Neward are 100pp cheaper on Continenetal.
    add the cost of the amtrak tickets-- 160.

BUT it will cost about 70.00 to park for the week.

I do see an amtrak train that leaves at 5:00 am so I can forgo the hotel room if really needed.

Do I understand correctly? You would be driving to PHL and parking your car or Amtrak to EWR?

IF I flew USAir out of PHL at the cost of 560.00pp I would be parking my car for the week.

IF I flew Continental out of Newark at the cost of 447.00pp I would be taking Amtrak.

I am weighing pros/cons of both flights to see which is the better choice.

I've taken the USAir N/S flights a total of 4 r/t now.

1) It leaves on time and gets to AUA early and ahead of some of the other flights. ie: limited customs lines.
    2) No video either direction.
    3) There is food for purchase going to AUA but returning don't plan on purchasing food on the plane. They do not restock in AUA.
    4) The flight arrives PHL on time to a bit early. Early enough they do switch to the A west terminal some flights.
    5) USAir baggage claim in PHL is still an issue. Plan on waiting for your bag.

April 2010 I paid $472 for a October flight and paid for my checked bag online @ $46 r/t. Parking at Winner was $7.75/day, including the outrageous city tax. The year before (2009) I purchase in January @ $448 for a October flight and my bags flew free.

We have been to Aruba 3 times- 4th if counting by cruise ship.

The three times we flew the price was reasonable. For next year the price is 550.00 (about 100 more then what we paid in the past.)

I am hoping the price comes down after the 300 day mark.

But i was looking at flights in May and June and those flights were the same price. 550.00

I am liking the COntinental out of Newark because-- theyoffer inflight movies and or the satellite tv at your seat. Makes the 4 1/2 hour flight seem rather entertaining---LOL

When we fly out of PHL we park at fast trak- reserve our space ahead of time- get a 25% off coupon and the price is right around 6.00 (including tax)

Just my opinion and this is from someone who has no choice but to go to Aruba via two flights as there are no directs from where we live.

The additional $100 pp gets reduced when you add the parking, train, etc. I would rather fly from my city then worry about going to another destination and worry about the "what ifs" when you have a window to catch your flight. If the difference in money was hundreads of dollars then that would be a different story.

We fly US Air to Aruba and it is a nice flight. We have gone United too. Never Continental.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Airfares, unless there is a sale, are more expensive than they have been in past years.
    Right now for next June, Delta wants $747 out of Atlanta.
    Traditionally this flight had been no more than $625 or so.
    sale, $425 is a bargain.
    So I guess my point is unless you get a fare sale, expect to pay more.

Increased Airfare and Hotel Rates Across the Globe Expected According to the American Express Business Travel 2011 Forecast

"I am liking the COntinental out of Newark because-- theyoffer inflight movies and or the satellite tv at your seat. Makes the 4 1/2 hour flight seem rather entertaining---LOL"

Hi Serene-
    We always fly the direct Continental flight from Newark as we live in Northern NJ and it is usually a great flight. kepp in mind that the satellite tv actually goes off when the flight is out over the Ocean. I'm not sure why this happens since the satellite is in space, but there is not was no tv or movie for half of the flight last time we flew until we were back over land.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast