Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Luggage Lock

We have never used locks when traveling, but are wondering if we should do so in the future. When we arrived home after a trip in January, some items were missing. Would this have anything to do with the fact that our bags arrived a day later? Would the delay have given more people (besides TSA) the opportunity to handle our bags? I guess I don't understand the processes and procedures of baggage handling. Who else, besides TSA, handles luggage?

I am also wondering why it seems that every time we travel, we get a note in our very messed-up suitcase that our bags were searched in a 'random' check. Anyone have any idea how that determination is made - i.e., is there anything that would 'red-flag' a suitcase to be pulled out to be checked? I had assumed that would have been the time something would have been taken out of the bag - so what good would a 'TSA approved" lock do? Anyone have any insight in this? I would love to know!

Aruba since 1979
    who else handles your luggage once it is out of your site is a great question.......the gate agent, then baggage handlers, then "maybe tse folks, then baggage handlers again and then if all goes to plan the owner of the luggage. (i do not know if all checked luggage go thru tsa screening)
    but there are evil people in the world not limited to tsa and baggage handlers.....if there is opportunity for a bad person to swipe your bag or some of its contents, there is not much you can do about it. maybe the locks will deter...maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruba76 View Post
    We have never used locks when traveling, but are wondering if we should do so in the future. When we arrived home after a trip in January, some items were missing. Would this have anything to do with the fact that our bags arrived a day later? Would the delay have given more people (besides TSA) the opportunity to handle our bags? I guess I don't understand the processes and procedures of baggage handling. Who else, besides TSA, handles luggage?

I am also wondering why it seems that every time we travel, we get a note in our very messed-up suitcase that our bags were searched in a 'random' check. Anyone have any idea how that determination is made - i.e., is there anything that would 'red-flag' a suitcase to be pulled out to be checked? I had assumed that would have been the time something would have been taken out of the bag - so what good would a 'TSA approved" lock do? Anyone have any insight in this? I would love to know!

Exclamation

Never ever place any valuables in your checked luggage.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysmiles View Post
    It's my understanding (so I could be wrong), being a tsa approved lock they have like a master key, open it, check your luggage and put the lock back on.
    That's correct. I have TSA locks and have never had a problem. I never use room safes, so I lock up all valuables in the suitcase when I leave the room.

Quote Originally Posted by tangy003 View Post
    I have another question regarding TSA locks.What happens if TSA decides to search your bag?What happens to the lock?Thanks.
    Transportation Security Administration or TSA approved luggage locks are locks you put on your suitcase which have a master key available to the TSA

Natural Pool, Druif Beach, Eagle Beach, California Lighthouse, Helicopter
    At least with the TSA lock on it, you know (hopefully) it's only tsa getting into it.

Quote Originally Posted by purpleangel View Post
    That's correct. I have TSA locks and have never had a problem. I never use room safes, so I lock up all valuables in the suitcase when I leave the room.

OK i get this,but then what if someone walked with the whole suitcase,lock and all??

Quote Originally Posted by tangy003 View Post
    OK i get this,but then what if someone walked with the whole suitcase,lock and all??
    Well, I guess it could happen, but chances are it won't. For that matter, if someone was that desperate to steal a suitcase, I would think they would pick one without a lock on it.

Natural Pool, Druif Beach, Eagle Beach, California Lighthouse, Helicopter
    Quote Originally Posted by purpleangel View Post
    Well, I guess it could happen, but chances are it won't. For that matter, if someone was that desperate to steal a suitcase, I would think they would pick one without a lock on it.
    I figure the only people in my room are going to be cleaning people and if they walk out with a suitcase, I'd hope someone would stop them or at least report it.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysmiles View Post
    I figure the only people in my room are going to be cleaning people and if they walk out with a suitcase, I'd hope someone would stop them or at least report it.
    Not necessarily. I've been to some resorts where the cleaning people leave the door open and work on several rooms at once.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast