Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Luggage scales beware....

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    yes they do CHEAT
    on apr 28 at bangor international we checked 2 suitcases

weighed them both at home and they were 38 and 40 lbs

got to check in at usairways express at bangor and they each weighed in at 55

i gave the guy a look asked hi to step away and we put them on again 36 and 38 lbs, so my reply was to get the supervisor. i told him what we observed and that we were PO'D.

so yes i think there are a few unscrupulous folks there that do PAD the scales
    andrea
    The employees don't get a commission on bag fees, they would have nothing to gain personally by doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadd View Post
    The employees don't get a commission on bag fees, they would have nothing to gain personally by doing that.
    I thought that when I read it, but then I wondered, would the agent perhaps charge the fee, hope for cash and then pocket it?

There has to be surveillance (sp?) to discourage that kind of stuff no?

WOW !!!!! I have never been overweight with a suitcase and I don't even weigh them before hand.....well, that's not entirely true, I have packed them and then bet my husband they were overweight and he took the bet....and won !!! I have always come in at about 44 pounds....will see what happens this year......maybe I should invest in a scale....I assume you take them with you to check weights on the way home ??????
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Quote Originally Posted by danadog56 View Post
    I assume you take them with you to check weights on the way home ??????
    Yes.

Aruba since 1979
    that would be correct chadd
    nothing to gain unless angering the customers is the way this agent gets his kicks!

and usairways charges $15 per checked bag

andrea

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    I thought that when I read it, but then I wondered, would the agent perhaps charge the fee, hope for cash and then pocket it?

Our agent was really kind. He gave us all the time we needed to re-arrange the bags. It was my fault...those 10 dollar scales should be checked before you use them. They give repeatable results....but they're typically off by a constant amound....our scale being off by 4 pounds.

Next time...we pack 46 pounds max!
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post

There are very few places in an airport where you can do something without being on tape.

Anyone doing that would be fired on the spot. An overweight bag needs to be noted in the computer and on the manifest, so no way to slip it by. Most airlines prefer credit cards and some will not accept cash to prevent theft.

that would be correct chadd
    nothing to gain unless angering the customers is the way this agent gets his kicks!

and usairways charges $15 per checked bag

andrea
    There is also a new policy going into effect that charges you an additional $5 for the first bag if you don't check in online. It was announced during the 1Q earnings conference call. I don't expect it to last long.

Aruba since 1979
    wonder what happens to us that are not allowed to check in online?
    i would hope we would be waived the fee.

both hubby and I are on the do not fly list and with all of the flying we do, (much less than chadd of course) we have not been able to check in online.
    frustrating but life after sept 11 will never be the same and if we have to follow the rules, we do.
    andrea
    There is also a new policy going into effect that charges you an additional $5 for the first bag if you don't check in online. It was announced during the 1Q earnings conference call. I don't expect it to last long.

both hubby and I are on the do not fly list and with all of the flying we do, (much less than chadd of course) we have not been able to check in online. andrea
    Assuming you are on the list by "accident" have you tried contacting your congressman or senator for assistance in be taken off the list?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast