Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: March 22, 2013 Departure

March 22, 2013 Departure

Having heard of long lines @ the airport the past couple weeks, we had Bully pick us up @ 10:30 AM for our 1:50 PM flight. Bully was a little early so we were in the airport @ 10:40 AM. United didn't open thier counters until 11:00 AM. Processing went smoothly until we approach the baggage claim prior to US Customs. Standstill! Line did not move for 15 minutes. Took us a total of 1 1/2 hrs to first get into the baggage claim room and then through the zizzag customs line. Only 5 of the 10 customs stations open. As we approached the stations, a 6th was opened. We got to our gate 15 minutes prior to boarding. Our flight was then delayed 30 minutes waiting for to passengers to board. I do believe numerous flights Had similar situations.

We went to the airport expecting long lines and delays. Those that didn't, had a very unpleasant end to thier time on Aruba.

Our flight crew made up most of the delay and we arrived ORD 5 minutes late.

Be prepared for long lines and waits.
    Last edited by Snidely; 03-23-2013 at 10:50 PM.
    Joe & Mimi

LIFE IS GOOD

Wow, that stinks, thanks for the heads up.

That is cutting it close, 15 mins b4 u board and u were there 3 hrs as suggested. I will do the same.

My favorite place is Aruba, so anywhere on the island is perfect!!!
    Seriously thank you for the info. We are heading down next Sunday, so we'll have to make sure on our trip back to allow for lots of extra time.

@ the divi and tamarijin they charge u to check in on the plane, we skip it and save a few bucks and do it @ the airport for free. May wana pay now to avoid long lines.

We depart on easter Monday, there r no cruize ships so traffic should be okay, we will get there 3hrs before, but sooner.

Aruba since 1979
    the very least the resorts should do is allow check in and boarding pass printing for free.

nickel and dimeing the guests to death on these little niceties is totally not necessary and it should not impact their bottom line..........but it does make guests remember that "gee they charged us, how cheap of them"

Quote Originally Posted by mjl60621 View Post
    @ the divi and tamarijin they charge u to check in on the plane, we skip it and save a few bucks and do it @ the airport for free. May wana pay now to avoid long lines.

We depart on easter Monday, there r no cruize ships so traffic should be okay, we will get there 3hrs before, but sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    nickel and dimeing the guests to death on these little niceties is totally not necessary and it should not impact their bottom line..........but it does make guests remember that "gee they charged us, how cheap of them"
    The Tamarijn and Divi charge 75 cents each for local phone calls as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mjl60621 View Post

If you're checking any bags it doesn't matter. The baggage drop counter also did not open until 11:00. Once the counter opened, we moved through check-in quickly. The back-up was @ US Customs.
    Joe & Mimi

LIFE IS GOOD

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Quote Originally Posted by Snidely View Post
    If you're checking any bags it doesn't matter. The baggage drop counter also did not open until 11:00. Once the counter opened, we moved through check-in quickly. The back-up was @ US Customs.
    We were not at all prepared for the lines at customs last month. We got through check in with United fairly quickly, got through the first few check points, and thought we had time to spare. Little did we know! Our flight also boarded late, but made it to our destination on time.

We always do the online check in before we go to the airport. I've never noticed an express line at United for those who have done the pre check in, only the first class line. Am I just missing it? A few years ago, we got so backed up in the check in line, we worried we'd miss our flight.

Quote Originally Posted by hatteras View Post
    We were not at all prepared for the lines at customs last month. We got through check in with United fairly quickly, got through the first few check points, and thought we had time to spare. Little did we know! Our flight also boarded late, but made it to our destination on time.

We always do the online check in before we go to the airport. I've never noticed an express line at United for those who have done the pre check in, only the first class line. Am I just missing it? A few years ago, we got so backed up in the check in line, we worried we'd miss our flight.
    United had 2 lanes (far right) for pre-checked baggage drop. There also was an attendant walking the line asking if passengers had already checked in to move to those lines. Didn't have those lines last year.
    Joe & Mimi

LIFE IS GOOD

For some reason they have someone checking tickets/passports to get into the bag claim room before customs. That slows things down pretty significantly at times. I tried to talk to one of the customs agents on my second trip through (flight was canceled the first day) and he was pretty gruff and not really forthcoming with any information about what is going to happen with cutbacks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast