Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Most miserable airport in the USA

Aruba since 1979

Most miserable airport in the USA

http://www.travelandleisure.com/trav...airport-newark

and i would have guessed miami international.

many of our forum members are from the jersey area......what are your opinions of newark liberty ?

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    well, since we travel out of that airport always let me weigh in. First off, as far as check in, can't comment because we print our boarding passes & don't have luggage to check. As far as security, in the last five years I've only had Newark Airport, McCarran in Vegas and of course the airport in Aruba. Out of all three, I thought Newark security moves faster than Vegas and by far faster than Aruba. So I can't agree with that. And we usually fly out primetime and on prime days.

However, saying that, United is by far the worse airline. And United has an entire terminal dedicated to them because they have the most flights out of Newark. But one thing you must understand, many people stop off at Newark from other airports because they have so many non-stop flights. Many New Yorkers fly from Newark instead of Kennedy or LaGuardia. There are tons and tons of people that use this airport.

So if you are considering how many people have to go through security (which is all I can comment on, not check in), but considering how many people go through security there as opposed to other airports, I think they move very fast.

I wish we had other choices besides United, and if that is what they are basing that article on, strictly United, hopefully United with take that to task. But we are stuck with United because I don't do stop overs and they fly direct pretty much everywhere.
    Last edited by gaby; 05-29-2016 at 10:30 AM. Reason: adding something

My wife and I fly out of Newark on all of our flights and use United Airlines exclusively. My experience with Newark Airport and United have been great. We often fly to Aruba, Portugal and Italy and have never had an issue. Most of the time, we are upgraded to first class as we are Gold members and this just makes things a little easier. We also take advantage of the United Club located within the airport. They have free drinks, snacks, televisions, showers, etc. We have priority boarding and Global Entry, which includes TSA pre-approvell, so all of things things makes traveling much easier and more enjoyable. We probably would not like to fly out of Newark and use United if it were not for the perks.

I've experienced flying through Miami International on three occasions. Two of those experiences can be counted as bad in the sense that on once occasion I missed my connecting flight and had to overnight in the airport( this was at the start of Labor Day weekend) and on the second occasion while connecting through Miami International airport I was pulled aside by airport security after clearing immigration and customs, and while on my way to check my bags for my flight to Arizona I was kindly asked to undergo a bag search because I had three pieces of luggage( backpack, and two medium sized rolling suitcases) and I was only going to be in the States for seven days. When asked why I had so many pieces luggage I told them, "I did not want to risk going over the weight limit with one suitcase so I used two." I was asked the same questions over and over again in addition to the type of job that I did for a living, for ten minutes before the officer found me to not be a potential overstay and allowed me to proceed on....whatever!!

As for my trips to Aruba I have to connect through Hato International Airport in Curacao and it's always been a pleasant experience. Granted I keep getting mistaken for a local till they look at the confused look on my face and take a look at my passport till the realize that I'm not. All in all, a pretty nice airport to connect through.

Going to be grateful that my flight is direct out of MCO.

We've flown in and out of Miami Airport many times over the years and have never had a bad experience there. But, we've never connected through there - it's always been a direct flight to/from Miami for a long weekend in South Beach. So that probably makes a big difference in that we don't have to deal with connections or the international terminal.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~ View Post
    We've flown in and out of Miami Airport many times over the years and have never had a bad experience there. But, we've never connected through there - it's always been a direct flight to/from Miami for a long weekend in South Beach. So that probably makes a big difference in that we don't have to deal with connections or the international terminal.
    We've connected through Miami a few times. Never had an issue on our morning flights, but the last two connections coming home from Aruba in the evening on our way home were both delayed over an hour. We have a lot more flexibility when we connect through Miami so we deal with it. We wouldn't if we had to clear customs there though.

We had a long delay on a direct flight from there too when we came back from a cruise, but that whole trip was a bust so the delay wasn't surprising.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Another reason to only travel to Aruba...never a bust

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    We've connected through Miami a few times. Never had an issue on our morning flights, but the last two connections coming home from Aruba in the evening on our way home were both delayed over an hour. We have a lot more flexibility when we connect through Miami so we deal with it. We wouldn't if we had to clear customs there though.

We had a long delay on a direct flight from there too when we came back from a cruise, but that whole trip was a bust so the delay wasn't surprising.

Although TIA Tampa International is more convenient, it entails a connecting flight in Miami. Quite a nightmare. It is 40miles to MCO Orlando, but the direct flight is heaven. Especially since I am traveling with hubby in wheelchair, multiple bags of medication and even with airport assistance I am so ready for happy hour in Aruba.
    Driving to Orlando for departure is SO worth it for us.

Well, I wonder what it really means. Being that I trust no one, and believe they are writing to try to sell their story, I wonder how many of those non-on time flights were actually early?

I fly out of Newark, Kennedy or LaGuardia depending on price. They are all pretty much the same. Remember, even though 9/11 was a long time ago to some, we are still dealing with the repercussions of that day.. We still have security in places that we didn't before 9/11. We still have the responsibility of screening everyone that gets on a plane out of this area to protect our skies. I may be wrong, but that's my opinion on the security & check in lines and I'm ok with the extended wait times.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast