Aruba Beach

Thread: Need help!

Need help!

Okay so I travel all the time and know how to comparison shop like everyone else... I work for a company that is affiliated with the airlines. I choose not to fly interline anymore due to the chance of getting stuck somewhere.

I purchased tickets not that long ago for our trip in August. I shopped around and ended up purchasing the tickets with United. The flights were all operated by US Airway. I asked the United agent on the phone if I check in with United or US Air and she said United. I asked her this because by checking with United we each get two bags free international. If we had to check with US Air we have to pay 140 dollars for two bags a person (3 people). If we had to pay for the bags I would have just chose a Delta flight which has better flight times and cheaper international bag fees.

So now United just sent me new tickets and it says US Airways on the tickets. The prior tickets were United tickets. I called them and they said that now I would be checking in with US Air. So now we are going to have to pay up to 140-150 for our bags. They told me they'd do nothing for me to reimburse me for the money or waive the bag fees on US Air. I could have actually saved a little money now by purchasing the Delta tickets. I'm so mad because the customer service is so horrible.

Any ideas on what to do to take action?

Each of us needs to take two bags too due to the amount of time we will be there... We've already considered taking one a person and it won't work.....

Dom
    If you booked a US Air flight through United, it is probably a "code share" flight. A code share flight would have different flight numbers for US Air and United, but it would be the same flight. In my experience, you always check in with the airline that is actually flying the plane, and not with the airline that sold you the ticket. It look like United gave you bad information. Unfortunately, other than complaining to United, I doubt that US Air will do anything for you.
    Dom
    First visited Aruba in 1972

International with American Airlines, 2 bags no fee..

http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/problems.htm
    File a complaint against United and they may make it up to you in order to retire the complaint. I would also call United back and have them put you on United flights so you don't have to pay the fees. You agreed to purchase the tickets based on the United baggage rules, now you are being forced to pay more. They should accommodate you as long as you are polite, firm and insist on speaking to the next person up the chain if the person you speak to is unwilling or unable to provide a reasonable remedy.

Another thought is to go to their website and lookup the contact for marketing or customer service under "investor relations". There is nothing good about bad publicity, but happy customers are always good.

I did what Chad suggested. I hope to hear something back in reference to this all.