Aruba Beach
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: New carry on guidelines proposed

So ... I understand that for carry-on luggage, the SIZE restrictions have been narrowed ... but no one addressed Cindyo's comment (June 2015) about restrictions on the WEIGHT of a carry on. If someone is moving some items down to Aruba (flight by flight), I prefer putting electronics (chargers, routers, VOIP phones, computer batteries) and other "dense" (read "heavy") non-liquid items in my carry-on, so as to not exceed the WEIGHT restrictions for checked-in luggage. This also ensures that I keep the more valuable items with me instead of risking having checked-in luggage being lost or delayed (the latter having happened to me 2 of my last 3 trips to AUA).

I checked the United Airlines site, and there does not appear to be any WEIGHT limitation imposed on CARRY-ON baggage.

Quote Originally Posted by jfltdoc View Post
    So ... I understand that for carry-on luggage, the SIZE restrictions have been narrowed ... but no one addressed Cindyo's comment (June 2015) about restrictions on the WEIGHT of a carry on. If someone is moving some items down to Aruba (flight by flight), I prefer putting electronics (chargers, routers, VOIP phones, computer batteries) and other "dense" (read "heavy") non-liquid items in my carry-on, so as to not exceed the WEIGHT restrictions for checked-in luggage. This also ensures that I keep the more valuable items with me instead of risking having checked-in luggage being lost or delayed (the latter having happened to me 2 of my last 3 trips to AUA).

I checked the United Airlines site, and there does not appear to be any WEIGHT limitation imposed on CARRY-ON baggage.
    I doubt the airlines would be able to enforce a weight restriction for carry-on - specifically for the reason you cited: they might end up liable for electronics, jewelry etc. if passengers are forced to check it.

That doesn't prevent them for charging $$$ if they go to a weight model though.

We always have heavy carry-on (electronics) bags but they always meet the size restrictions.

We're going to be moving things flight-by-flight and, hopefully, one day, have nothing to take but our smiles and livers.

Now if I could just figure out how to fit a dishwasher in my Tumi carry-on wheelie...

Aruba since 1979
    i will practice my yoga positions so that i can fit in your carry on wheelie, and I will be your dishwasher.
    (when i am not washing your dishes, i will be at the beach!)
    Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    I doubt the airlines would be able to enforce a weight restriction for carry-on - specifically for the reason you cited: they might end up liable for electronics, jewelry etc. if passengers are forced to check it.

We always have heavy carry-on (electronics) bags but they always meet the size restrictions.

We're going to be moving things flight-by-flight and, hopefully, one day, have nothing to take but our smiles and livers.

Now if I could just figure out how to fit a dishwasher in my Tumi carry-on wheelie...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    i will practice my yoga positions so that i can fit in your carry on wheelie, and I will be your dishwasher.
    (when i am not washing your dishes, i will be at the beach!)
    Andrea J.: Pretzel Woman

playa linda, aruba beach club, wacky wahoos, driftwood,french steakhouse, any happy hour
    looking forward to the day when there will be NO carryons !!

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    As long as people follow the guidelines for carryons, I see no problem with it. I for one like carryons but I follow the rules and do not inconvenience anybody. I'm looking forward to the day where there are airplanes for adults only.

There are moving companies here in the states with funny names like "Two Men and a Truck" and GotMovers", so I think I may start a moving company, "Do Anything to get to Aruba Moving Company", that specifically helps with moving people to Aruba. I will charge only the cost of airfare and will use all my luggage and carry-on allowances for their stuff, I only need a swimsuit. Of course, there will be a "layover" in Aruba.

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post

Aruba since 1979
    i doubt that will ever happen

we flew allegiant recently (sanford, fl to portsmouth nh) and they charge $ for any carry that has to go in the overhead compartment. it did cut down on the aisle congestion just a little. we had a checked bag ($) and 2 small wheeled daypacks that fit under the seats in front of us (no charge).

many people do not like carry on, but it is necessary as one does not want to put certain items in checked luggage.........
    medications, electronic devices, jewelry etc.

Quote Originally Posted by paulmorin View Post
    looking forward to the day when there will be NO carryons !!

Andrea, did you have a purse in addition to your wheeled daypacks? The local Allegiant here makes you pay for anything besides a purse or laptop case, even if both can fit under the seat. My daughter had her small cross body purse that is only big enough for a phone and money, a lipstick and keys. She had her computer case with her and they wanted us to pay for the computer case because they considered the cross body bag her 1 personal item. They said she could only have 1 personal item at no charge. Both items would have fit under the seat. Our solution; she put her phone and money in her pocket and shoved the small cross body purse in the laptop case until she was through security.

Aruba since 1979
    yes , i jammed the purse into the wheely day pack. i was unable to fully zip the daypack with the purse in it, but was able to make it through. i have a few words/opinions re: allegiant and their policies, but i'd be banned if i put them in here once onboard, i took my purse out of that daypack.
    Quote Originally Posted by AUA1989 View Post
    Andrea, did you have a purse in addition to your wheeled daypacks? The local Allegiant here makes you pay for anything besides a purse or laptop case, even if both can fit under the seat. My daughter had her small cross body purse that is only big enough for a phone and money, a lipstick and keys. She had her computer case with her and they wanted us to pay for the computer case because they considered the cross body bag her 1 personal item. They said she could only have 1 personal item at no charge. Both items would have fit under the seat. Our solution; she put her phone and money in her pocket and shoved the small cross body purse in the laptop case until she was through security.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast