Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New Delta mileage system

Mangel Halto for snorkeling, Palm and Arashi for beach time.

Thumbs down New Delta mileage system

http://takingoff.delta.com/post/7789.../skymiles-2015

Apparently Delta decided to "reward passengers' loyalty" by giving them something like half the miles they used to collect for each flight. At least for ordinary folks who don't have any special status.

All the best from Brazil

Marcio

Even with Gold Medallion (my hubby) and Silver (me) status on Delta, we won't be getting as many miles either. I used their comparison calculator and plugged in average fares we normally pay and the miles are considerably less. They're trying to spin this as a good thing in the media....and it's not! The only way to get decent miles now is to pay ALOT for your airfare - and who wants to do that?

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...gram.html#earn
    ~Amy~® - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

How incredible. It looks like this might be our last "miles" trip to Aruba due to the airlines changing everything up. Bass turds...

It is sure going to be interesting. Our entire family just spent almost all of our miles so I guess that is a good thing.

I used the calculator Amy mentioned http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...gram.html#earn and the 3 itineraries and most common price points all come out pretty equal. One is a short haul flight, one is a more expensive flight and Aruba depends upon time of year. Off season flights to Aruba we are probably going to lose some miles, but peak season like Aruba when the fare is $885 such as it is now, we will come out ahead.

Based upon the buzz in social media even the Diamond and Platinum medallion members are upset. Delta is maintaining that they http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=2278 are gong along with the "trend in the travel industry of rewarding customer behavior based on price." From what I understand, Southwest, JetBlue and Virgin America already use a price based model?

Like a blogger did state though,

"So what can we do? Well, I still think there’s time to have our say. Delta can still roll back these changes if it wants to, and in order to make that happen, a lot of people need to understand just how bad these changes are and what it means for them. But then they also have to call, email, write and do anything else possible to get in touch with Delta and complain loudly and often with your thoughts on these changes. ...
    These huge changes – the ones we know about so far – are going to affect millions of flyers, and if you’re one of them, you should let Delta know how you feel, and share your thoughts on this move ... ."

Another analysis

Interesting ...

"...There's also a belief in the 2/40 rule. It's the idea that 2% of travelers produce 40% of a company's profit.

So in the past, when you were rewarded based on miles, a lot of people in December would take long flights (usually to Asia) without even visiting where the plane went in order to maintain their status. And they might do 2 or 3 mileage runs in a week just to maintain status! That era is now over.

The other facet of the new Delta changes go back to the profitability index again. If you have a Delta American Express card, your rewards will now be magnified. That's because it's mostly business people who work for large companies that have Delta AMEX cards. So they're trying to tie-in closer with high profit business customers. ..."

I always wondered how bored one would have to be in their life to sit cooped up on an airplane for 2 -3 days zig-zagging across the globe just in order to keep one's "status".

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    I always wondered how bored one would have to be in their life to sit cooped up on an airplane for 2 -3 days zig-zagging across the globe just in order to keep one's "status".
    I can imagine some people may do that but most just need maybe an additional 500-1000 MQM's at the end of year if they fall a little short to keep their status. So they just opt for a long weekend to someplace fun. We've done that before (friends of ours have as well) and just do a 3 day weekend trip to Seattle, Vegas, or Scottsdale to stay Gold. It's worth it in that we still get the free upgrades to first class, the additional miles when flying, the free use of the Sky Club in Europe, and....we also get a long weekend trip that we are "forced" to take. LOL!
    ~Amy~® - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Another analysis

Interesting ...

"...There's also a belief in the 2/40 rule. It's the idea that 2% of travelers produce 40% of a company's profit.

So in the past, when you were rewarded based on miles, a lot of people in December would take long flights (usually to Asia) without even visiting where the plane went in order to maintain their status. And they might do 2 or 3 mileage runs in a week just to maintain status! That era is now over.

The other facet of the new Delta changes go back to the profitability index again. If you have a Delta American Express card, your rewards will now be magnified. That's because it's mostly business people who work for large companies that have Delta AMEX cards. So they're trying to tie-in closer with high profit business customers. ..."

We have a Delta Amex card. We also have an AA Citibanc card. When I had my business we paid everything we could with the cards both home and office and then sent them a check each month for the balance. We usually got 80 to a 100 thousand miles a year. We didn't buy a plane ticket for nearly 20 years. I am going to miss that. A friend of mine works contract labor for a computer installation and repair company. He installs all kinds of computer and business equipment in businesses in a 4 state area. He is required to purchase all the equipment he installs from a couple of vendors and then is reimbursed by his company. He uses an airmile card and racks up several hundred thousand miles a year.

Quote Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
    We have a Delta Amex card. We also have an AA Citibanc card. When I had my business we paid everything we could with the cards both home and office and then sent them a check each month for the balance. We usually got 80 to a 100 thousand miles a year. We didn't buy a plane ticket for nearly 20 years. I am going to miss that. A friend of mine works contract labor for a computer installation and repair company. He installs all kinds of computer and business equipment in businesses in a 4 state area. He is required to purchase all the equipment he installs from a couple of vendors and then is reimbursed by his company. He uses an airmile card and racks up several hundred thousand miles a year.
    We use the Delta Amex card, too, but most of our miles still come from flight miles since we both travel for work and Medallion members get bonus miles on top of it. We really should start using our Delta Amex CC more - we already rack up about 100k miles each per year on flight miles and the cc miles would add to it. We always use the miles for first class seats/trips to Europe. But it does get harder and harder to use the miles every year because they keep increasing the miles needed for flights.

Another great article about frequent flier miles

Is Now The Time To Quit Frequent Flyer Programs?

"...Delta sells $675 million worth of miles for Amex to give to credit cardholders every year and that because of this preferential relationship, the airline will necessarily have to cut back on the perks and benefits it gives to other flyers. Lieber sums it up rather succinctly, saying: “In order to toss 10 or 11 miles at some travelers for every dollar they spend, however, Delta will have to do less for plenty of others on many of its routes. The opposite of rewarding a good customer is penalizing a bad one.” And that, in effect, is what Delta is doing.""

FWIW, who those who are not aware, AMEX has been "financing" Delta for a number of years. From 2005 when Delta/Northwest filed for bankruptcy American Express advances $350M to Delta

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Another great article about frequent flier miles

Is Now The Time To Quit Frequent Flyer Programs?

"...Delta sells $675 million worth of miles for Amex to give to credit cardholders every year and that because of this preferential relationship, the airline will necessarily have to cut back on the perks and benefits it gives to other flyers. Lieber sums it up rather succinctly, saying: “In order to toss 10 or 11 miles at some travelers for every dollar they spend, however, Delta will have to do less for plenty of others on many of its routes. The opposite of rewarding a good customer is penalizing a bad one.” And that, in effect, is what Delta is doing.""

FWIW, who those who are not aware, AMEX has been "financing" Delta for a number of years. From 2005 when Delta/Northwest filed for bankruptcy American Express advances $350M to Delta
    No reason to quit the program if you get most of your miles on the credit cards. I still use the cards and I still take vacations. If we can get a free ticket or money off a ticket, it is still worth doing nothing to get the miles. We saved $450 on our 3 tickets this year and got 1 free ticket and $150 each off 2 other tickets last year. We do pay our cc balances in full each month though. I wouldn't recommend a cc just to get an airline ff program though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast