Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Newark to Aruba in June, is this a good airfare?

Quote Originally Posted by debkeith1 View Post
    This week the price for dates in April was $407, so $500 seems high to me. I would recommend Kayak.com, it will give you advise on buy or wait, based on past faring between the cities and the dates you are requesting. Kayak is usually very accurate for me.
    Good luck and have a great trip!

How do you access the information on kayak that tells you to buy or wait. I am on kayak but don't see anywhere to find that information. Can you help me find it. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Bixa2805 View Post
    Looking to go to Aruba in June, dates are set at June 22nd to June 30th. The airfare is currently $507 pp round trip nonstop out of Newark. Thinking of booking, does this sound like a good price?
    Hey Bixa,

Just booked Jet Blue yesterday JFK to AUA non-stop $407.00 per ticket. Take a look.

Regards,

DAG

Aruba since 1979
    dates please?
    Quote Originally Posted by dgrossman158 View Post
    Hey Bixa,

Just booked Jet Blue yesterday JFK to AUA non-stop $407.00 per ticket. Take a look.

Regards,

DAG

Our dates are June 22 to June 30. Rates at JFK arel $457 non stop for those dates. I much prefer to fly out of Newark if possible, easier for us to get too and we know the area.
    Last edited by Bixa2805; 02-21-2014 at 10:31 PM.

For Sept 20 to 27 Jet blue $607 so $457 is a nice price..When the September schedule first came out it was $507 but for only a few days. I should have jump on the $507. Still haven't bought the $607 but I think I will before it goes up..

Radisson; Madame Janette; Downtown; Natural Bridge (even though only remnants remain); Marriott; Eagle Beach; Palm Beach
    Suggestion: Sign up with tripadvisor.com. They will send you a timely e-mail notifying you of "lowest price" for air fares to your destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Bixa2805 View Post
    How do you access the information on kayak that tells you to buy or wait. I am on kayak but don't see anywhere to find that information. Can you help me find it. Thank you!
    You will see it on the upper left hand side of the flight search results page.

I have to be honest. I have been monitoring fares from Miami, Newark, Philadelphia and Atlanta and there have been some fare alerts from Kayak that were not correct. They may be correct at 4:30 a.m. when they are sent out?

Your best options are to be flexible with your dates. If your dates are not flexible, your best chance of scoring a cheaper fare is to be your own airfare search engine and diligently search fares manually at least twice a day. There is no "golden rule" anymore for cheap fares on Tuesday at midnight or any other time frame.

If your dates are flexible, I have found google flight search to be an easy to use tool. Enter your dates and click on the bar graph. A graphic will then appear showing a calendar with dates. Click on enlarge and you can mouseover any pair of dates for the cheapest fare available.

Radisson; Madame Janette; Downtown; Natural Bridge (even though only remnants remain); Marriott; Eagle Beach; Palm Beach

"Be flexible with dates....."

Trying to be"flexible with dates" is one of the main reasons why we literally gave away our time share in Orlando. In the 80's, we had little problem trading for Aruba. As time went on, it became more and more difficult to do so. Not only that, since check-in for most time shares is Sat. or Sun., we were relegated to those days when seats were at a premium as were prices. Now, we base our stay on when fares are cheapest or...use Players Choice!! to book our vacations in Aruba!

Aruba since 1979
    there was a segment on the ABC nightly news last night that spoke about the "magic number" of when to get the best deal on air tix.
    apparently, per the segment and all sorts of graphs etc…..the magic number is 54 days out.

they did have a caveat though. they reporter said that certain destinations like florida and mexico over spring break and other popular destinations were not part of the "54"

they also did say that for thanksgiving or christmas travel, the time to buy is in june.

again, not my opinion…….just what i watched on tv news.

Aruba since 1979
    arubalisa posted this on another thread.
    very interesting and thank you lisa!!
    Confessions of an Airline Revenue Manager

Posted by George Hobica on Friday, February 21, 2014

Every airline employs a cadre of fare revenue managers. These are the folks who adjust airfares throughout the day, depending on route, season, demand, supply and other factors. They're a notoriously tight-lipped bunch, but, on condition of anonymity, we got one to explain how the fare game works.

Is there a best time of the day or best day of the week to buy airline tickets?

No. We constantly read stories from pundits who proclaim that Tuesday nights are the best or Saturday at midnight is the lowest time for airfares, but that is not entirely true. Each airline loads fares at different times of the day every day. To say that there is one time of the day or one day of the week that is better than another is false.

Plus, fares are so dynamic since they are based on market conditions and the actual number of passengers who are currently booked on a specific flight that they can change rapidly at any time. Many airlines tend to announce sales on a Monday leading other airlines to match certain fares the following day, but this is not a hard and fast rule. It truly varies from airline to airline.

How do airlines post “mistake” airfares and what are the consequences?

Quite simply, it’s human error. A revenue manager might attempt to do a global reduction on all North America fares for example and lower all fares by more than he intended. We have warnings and systems in place to catch these “fat finger fares” but they don’t always work and it takes a while to correct them. The consequences vary depending on the damage done. Usually you get one mistake and a warning. However, I heard through the grapevine that the guy responsible for that Dec. 26 Delta fare glitch got fired immediately. It probably cost the airline over a million dollars in lost revenue.

What is your role as a revenue manager?

Each airline has a complex computer system based on algorithms that can maximize the profit on each flight based on the types of fares offered on that specific flight. On one flight, there could be as many as two dozen different fares based on different factors such as advance purchase or how many days you stay at the destination. The computer knows that, by releasing (for example) 5 seats at a very low price, 10 seats at a slightly higher price and 20 seats at a slightly higher price, it can maximize revenue as the flight fills up.

On a full flight, we no longer want to offer that el-cheapo fare because it is based on supply and demand. The computer adjusts fares all the way up until the departure time, but as a revenue manager, I can go in and adjust things based on information that the computer may not know. For example, are there specific events taking place at a destination? Are there certain conditions at the departure airport that will allow more than the desired amount of seats to go empty such as weather?

How often do fares change?

Most of the time you will see the same fares for a few days unless they sell out. The biggest changes happen at 21 days, 14 days, 10 days, 7 days and 4 days, typically when advance purchase restrictions knock fares up a notch. The majority of fare changes aren’t really changes on our part: they happen because people are purchasing up inventory at the lowest published fare or the advance purchase restrictions are kicking in.

Why is it that sometimes I can wait until the last minute and find a cheap fare, but other times the fare goes up?

Well, most of the time the fare will go up because the flight will be filling up or the advance purchase restrictions will be kicking in. But on routes with significant competition -- New York to Los Angeles for example -- airlines may have sales or "dump seats" at the last minute to fill the plane if it's not particularly full. It also depends on the day of the week. Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday are often the cheapest days to fly because we carry fewer business passengers those days.

Why do airlines advertise sales and then I can never find the tickets available at the stated price?

When an airline puts seats on sale, not every item in the store is for sale, just a percentage. Plus, not every flight on a given route may offer seats for sale. A popular 6 p.m. flight may not have anything on sale since people are willing to pay full price for it whereas the early bird 5 a.m. flight may have more seats on sale. When airfares go down, jump on it. The limited capacity of seats will dwindle as time passes.

Why are there so few award seats out there? Each time I try to use my miles, I can't.

This is really a false assumption. There are a lot of award seats out there. We often give away 10-15 percent of our seats as award seats. We are operating a business, and our shareholders wouldn't like it if we passed on top-line revenue. If you are flexible with dates or flight times, there are lots of award seats out there. If a flight is not filling up as we may expect, we can open up award availability as the departure date approaches, so you’ll sometimes do better searching a day before travel or at the very last second.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast