Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Newark Liberty Airport??

Newark Liberty Airport??

Hello seasoned travelers. The hubby and I will be heading to Aruba in March. We will be flying using our flight miles. Which leaves us with less than desirable flights. We will be leaving Houston and flying in to Newark where we will have a 9 hour layover. Those of you familiar with EWR, how large is it compared to other international airports? Do you think we would have time to leave the airport to catch a few hours sleep at a hotel (our flight would get in at midnight, and depart at 9 a.m.)? I haven't flown through EWR since I was a child, so I'm at a loss. Thank you

There are a number of properties near by including the Marriott right at the airport. I would stay there as it limits commute times back and forth and allows you to sleep more.

I agree - there are many very near by hotels to choose from.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

I have to ask, is there really no other way? You will be losing a full day and so much time in the air and with the layover. I think I would consider an alternate location. Here are some ideas: book 1 ticket with miles and pay cash for 1, uses more miles but you don't lose a day.
    What about using miles to Florida and then taking advantage of some of the low fares from Florida to Aruba? If you are only going for a week it just seems like such a time suck. What about changing the dates of your trip?
    I know flying from TX you are limited and it's pricey, as I was looking for a friend recently.
    7 trips in and still finding things to love. #8 will be great in November!

Luckily, our work schedules are flexible, so we can still arrive on our initial check in day, and have most of the day. Even if we use miles for one ticket, they are still putting us through EWR. We could suck it up and pay to fly with American or travel a bit further and fly SW, but I'm kind of a penny pincher. I actually didn't think of flying to FL on miles, and then purchasing tickets from there. So I'm going to look in to it, thank you!

If you fly to other places maybe its best to use those miles somewhere else.

Wouldn't it be better for you travel wise if you were to connect through an airport in Miami, Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale, or even Charlotte NC instead of having to go all the way to Newark NJ? If the flight is based on your miles, then I guess you will have no other choice but to go to NJ. Thankfully there are hotels close to the airport where you can go and relax for a bit before your connecting flight departs. Or you can stick around the airport, they have a good range of shops and places to eat.

Traveling to Aruba in the winter is always tricky and I carefully consider what city we travel through when planning our winter trips. Our preference is to always move south as a stopover to try and avoid weather issues. We live in Ontario (Canada) so we can fly to Aruba via Toronto or a few different cities in the US. For example, one option is to fly to Chicago (which isn't really a great option due to moving more west just to go east again) but we avoid this unless there is NO other option due to the fact that Chicago generally deals with a lot of weather issues in the winter.
    My point being that living in Houston, I would NOT recommend heading north to Newark during the winter. March is still unpredictable and if you head into a storm you could be stuck in Newark for an extra day or two or even three!! We have seen this happen on a few occasions. We love using points our points too but sometimes its best to leave them for another trip. I would pay the money and travel to Aruba via some other city and stay away for the Eastern Seaboard in the winter like the plague!
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Traveling to Aruba in the winter is always tricky and I carefully consider what city we travel through when planning our winter trips. Our preference is to always move south as a stopover to try and avoid weather issues. We live in Ontario (Canada) so we can fly to Aruba via Toronto or a few different cities in the US. For example, one option is to fly to Chicago (which isn't really a great option due to moving more west just to go east again) but we avoid this unless there is NO other option due to the fact that Chicago generally deals with a lot of weather issues in the winter.
    My point being that living in Houston, I would NOT recommend heading north to Newark during the winter. March is still unpredictable and if you head into a storm you could be stuck in Newark for an extra day or two or even three!! We have seen this happen on a few occasions. We love using points our points too but sometimes its best to leave them for another trip. I would pay the money and travel to Aruba via some other city and stay away for the Eastern Seaboard in the winter like the plague!
    Good point! I didn't think of this at all. Usually by March we are dealing with temps in the high 70s, so no need to worry about winter weather

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    we live 15 minutes from Newark Airport. Randi is quite correct. March is a very iffy time. We have seen so many delays in flights during that month cause our weather is unpredictable. I would fly to another airport or as Randi said, use your miles for another trip. For some reason, Nwk Airport tends to cancel alot more flights due to weather then they ever did in the past.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast