Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No more KLM in Aruba?

No more KLM in Aruba?

Just read a report that KLM will stop flying from Amsterdam to Aruba on March 29th. Hopefully the economy improves enough to allow this to be revived.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Chadd, what do you fly? You work for the airlines, right?? Does this affect you? Drag if it does. cindyo

Wow! We have friend that are coming from Wales via Amsterdam March 1 -15!!!

as reported on arubabeaches.net

KLM: Amsterdam - Aruba no more
    After almost seven decades of faithful service to Aruba, KLM - owned by French airline giant Air France-KLM - today announced its ceases operations to Aruba effective March 2009. Can you guess the reason? Thatís right, the economy.
    For most part in the seven decades KLM operated Amsterdam - Aruba virtually without any serious competition, until a few years ago when Martinair (recently KLM acquired 100% of Martinair) and Arkefly started flying to Aruba. Martinair announced itís Ďadjustingí the schedule to cope with the new reality which most likely means additional flights.
    Last year I read an article on KLM competitiveness where it states that most routes where KLM operates from Amsterdam it has little competition. On about only 14% of its routes it has more than two rivals operating, from which only two are trans-atlantic: Aruba and Toronto. In hindsight it was more a question of when and not if the route to Aruba was going to be abandoned. KLM seems to be the weaker of the three, as the airliner isnít making a load of money on the route anymore.
    Another difference between KLM and Martinair/Arkefly is that KLM operates the tri-jet MD11 aircraft type with a seating capacity of around 290 seats, while Martinair/Arkefly operate twin-jet Boeing 767-300 aircraft type with around 270 seats. Iím sure one is more efficient than the other.
    History doesnít count - as it shouldnít - when operating in a difficult business as the airline business. KLM will surely be missed in Aruba. Not necessarily as a company rather more as an iconic symbol and the long bond between Aruba and Holland. In the old days the only way to leave this island was through the air and the farthest away one could go was with KLM to Amsterdam. Also you felt a little pride when you passed Aruba airport and saw how the tale of the blue KLM plane towered above American giants such American Airlines, Delta Airlines, Continental Airlines or United Airlines.
    As a kid I remembered when I stepped onto the giant aircraft and had the time of my life. I traveled to Holland, Panama and Costa Rica with KLM in the 80s. Lately the feeling isnít like that anymore. In fact it was more of a drag as the seats seem very tight, long lines at the gates and the flights werenít non-stop anymore.
    Update: Local officials are needless to say not amused by the measure. Local tourism minister said to be disappointed as he said that he spoke with KLM not so long ago about a new European ad-campaign financed by Aruba in order to fill the seats to Aruba.
    The minister continued saying that the reasoning, in his opinion, is without logic. Why flights to other Dutch islands, such as Bonaire and St. Maarten continues in some form, while not to Aruba. He finalized by saying that KLM charged an average of 90 Euros more for tickets to Aruba than the other Dutch islands, thus considered it a premium destination.
    On the other side, local airport officials declared that one third of the capacity from Amsterdam is slashed and revenue will be down with about $1.5 million this year.
    As Kevin mentioned this could be a nightmare for travelers in Europe, as KLM was the easiest option even with all the extra stops
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Does this mean I won't get my raise?
    Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Sorry, no raise sannic...just one more thing to "tick" off the airport workers..

WOW...wonder what they did with folks that already had tickets booked ??? Or is the Dutch community different from us....I book my flights as soon as I see a deal I know will be hard to find again (of course as soon as I do that I always see a cheaper flight)...
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

KLM Press Release

Danadog...See KLMs Press Release. They will reticket passengers on Martinair

KLM suspending Amsterdam-Aruba service

Amstelveen Ė Tuesday, 3 February 2009
    KLM Royal Dutch Airlines is suspending its Amsterdam-Aruba service effective 29 March, 2009. Passengers will be able to continue to fly between Amsterdam and Aruba with Martinair. Martinair is part of the KLM Group.
    All passengers currently booked on KLM flights will be rebooked. Martinair will adjust its schedules and capacity to Aruba. Special guidelines are being issued for rebooking passengers who already have reservations with KLM.
    The profitability of this service has been declining for some time. The current economic crisis and the Dutch ticket tax have further increased the pressures on this routeís results.

For more information:
    KLM Media Relations, Joyce Veekman, tel.: +31 (0)20 649 4545.

AMS/DR/JV

Quote Originally Posted by cindyo View Post
    Chadd, what do you fly? You work for the airlines, right?? Does this affect you? Drag if it does. cindyo
    The only way it impacts me is if more people start flying to the US first and then down to Aruba. I need empty seats to get down there. We don't do a lot of service from Amsterdam so there is very little direct impact for me. Looking at the available seats to Aruba for March though, we could use a little more business.

For what it's worth Martinair is adding some frequencies to Aruba. It will still be a net decrease but won't be a huge impact in the overall numbers.

Catashi, thats were our rented bungalow is. Our fav beach is Rogersbeach. Our favorite hangout, the Cigar Lounge of Ruben de Lange.
    Martinair just raised there Comfert Class for 50 to 65 euro's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast