Aruba Beach

Thread: To our Canadian friends

Aruba since 1979

To our Canadian friends

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/05/06/446...-non-stop.html

I think this has been posted before but here is the news release

Unfortunately, what they are not telling you is that the Westjet service to Aruba is only until October 21st with no plans to continue it after that date.

I have been in touch with them numerous times about this. They say that if this route is popular they will continue with it. I tried to explain that this route during the summer will not be popular but perhaps they should try it over the winter months as that is when Canadians travel to warmer climates!! Hmm, they don't get it!

Also, their website is misleading as in one area they advertise that the route is year round but in reality it is only being run from May to October. Again....
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Smile update on Westjet!

Hi All Canadians,
    Here is the most up to date information on a new way to get to Aruba with a Canadian airline.
    Thomas Cook is no longer going to be flying to Aruba (via Toronto). Sunquest booked their flights/vacation packages with the Thomas Cook airline. The two charter companies shared the same plane. As of last week both companies signed an agreement with Westjet to fly for them to Aruba. However, if you go to Westjet website or call them they have no idea about this.
    I spoke to someone at Sunquest and then looked online (via the Sunquest website) and the flights are in there with prices! Not as good a bargain as hoped and they also seem more expensive than when Thomas Cook was flying there. The flight prices during the Christmas season are around $1400 per person. We bought flights from USAIR far cheaper than that.

Westjet will be flying to Aruba on Tuesdays and Saturdays, which is good as it give people the option of staying longer than one week. Hopefully, the prices during the non Christmas season might be more reasonable. Also, if you are traveling not from the GTA you can get a flight to Toronto as an add on to your reservation.

So, all in all, this is a good thing as it (hopefully) will put pressure on Air Canada to reduce their prices with some competition but Westjet still needs to lower their prices by a few hundred dollars. We spent $950 for the same saturday dates via USAIR compared to the almost $1500 they were quoting.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Since 1980, and throughout the many changes, we still love going downtown in Oranjestad.
    Once again, Canadian airlines just don't get it!

Westjet seems to have had no problem rapidly expanding their routes to include places like Jamaica, The Bahamas, Cayman Islands and Barbados but Aruba seems to be an issue for them.

$1400 airfares to Aruba are the norm for Canadians. I haven't even bothered to check the airfare on Westjet from Winnipeg to Aruba. Whatever the fare is, for us we'd probably have to stay o/night in Toronto which adds another $200 to $300 to the cpst of getting there. We abandoned Air Canada a long time ago.

As I've said so many times here, my preference is to go with a Canadian carrier but not at any cost. In terms of cost and conveniece, we'll keep using Unted from Winnipeg to Chicago, then American to Miami, and American again on to Aruba. We see no incentive to change.

Glenn

Hi Folks,

I plugged in from Dec15--29th on the Sunwing website and got fares of 895--775 plus 300 taxes. These are direct flights ( if the plane shows up that is. Last weeks flight to Mexico..no plane and the counter staff got fed up with customers asking at the desk that they abandonded the counter. A major disturbance and Sunwing had to call in the police to calm the passengers down. Great entertainment factor when travelling with Sunwing)

Just Fly out of Buffalo and save yourself $200 to $300.00 and that's per person We never have and never will fly out of Toronto.

There are a lot of pros and cons of flying from Buffalo. Done it a number of times. Going through the states is not without its inconveniences. Also if flying with a pet it is a whole lot more expensive and difficult. I also had the misfortune of being involved in a car accident as a taxi passenger while coming back through Buffalo. Let me tell you that you do not ever want to be in that predicament.

To each his/her own I guess

If you don't live in Toronto, flying out of Buffalo is not an option. Many of us do not live in the GTA and are always looking for another Canadian option.

While coming home via Pearson is just a nightmare and many times prefer traveling home via Charlotte or Philadelphia, having a reasonably priced option through Toronto would be nice. The plus, imo, going to Aruba via TO is that during the winter months the airport can handle snow situations. Many of the US cities close down if the slightest hint of snow, where we have the ability to carry on with almost all snow storms.

Since 1980, and throughout the many changes, we still love going downtown in Oranjestad.
    Hi Randi,

I have to agree with you there. Canadian airports in general, and Toronto in particualr, are better equipped to handle winter weather.

You're right about another thing. For those of us living outside the centre of the universe (if you have to ask, you don't know Canada.), flying out of Buffalo isn't an option.

I still don't understand Westjet's issue with Aruba. Discontinuing service from Canada to Aruba in October sounds silly to me. Have these guys maybe streched themselves a little to thin, both financially and with regards to the availability of aircraft?

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    If you don't live in Toronto, flying out of Buffalo is not an option. Many of us do not live in the GTA and are always looking for another Canadian option.

While coming home via Pearson is just a nightmare and many times prefer traveling home via Charlotte or Philadelphia, having a reasonably priced option through Toronto would be nice. The plus, imo, going to Aruba via TO is that during the winter months the airport can handle snow situations. Many of the US cities close down if the slightest hint of snow, where we have the ability to carry on with almost all snow storms.

We ALWAYS fly outta BUF, it's a chance you take.