Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passenger courtesy and the dreaded Knee Defender

Passenger courtesy and the dreaded Knee Defender

Greetings one and all.
    First off, best of the season to you all.
    For the non-traditionals out there, Happy Yule, Happy Solstice and all that.
    Has anyone come across a little device that's just been sprung on the world, the Knee Defender? There's a lot of discussion about this little device on the Canadian newswires, presumably because those of us north of the 49th are devising ways out of the chill, and I was wondering what the thoughts of my fellow Aruba-lovers was on this? I don't know about you, but personally, I sort of like the idea of not having someone I don't know in my lap during my 4 hour flight.
    Here's the link to the article I'm referring to http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle1842287/

If you have a moment, give it a read, I'd really appreciate hearing what you think.

And on the note of flying, YAY! We're booked for the annual migration.
    Now THAT'S a Xmas/Yule treat if you ask me.
    Hitting the beach in paradise April 10th.... Reiki, meditation and good energy on the beach again.
    Can't beat that...
    Mr. Ratt
    "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got..."
    Aruba.... May 12, 2018... 3pm at the Tamarijn, see you there.
    http://www.heyoka-healing.com

For US travel, installing any device on a seat wouldn't be legal without FAA approval, at a minimum, and I can't imagine the FAA approved them for use.

For what it's worth, they have nothing to do with "defending knees" as I have yet to see someone so tall that their knees come up into the back of the seat without slouching significantly. AT 31"-32" pitch, you would have to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 7' tall for it to actually be a problem. I'd be willing to bet the average height of the guys buying them is a lot closer to 5'-8".

I'm not really aware of the FAA regulations regarding this, apparently there have been all manner of discussion on the issue and no one's quite sure which way to turn. As for the name, I guess they had to call it something. I guess it would be difficult and, ahem, politically incorrect, to call it the "Little thing that keeps the person in front from jamming their seat in your face".
    I tend to think that the reasoning of being tall doesn't have much to do with it.
    I'm of average height, and personally it's not so much a thing of my knees, it's the space. Having the seat in front of me in my lap.... somehow, I don't find it all that appealing, nor enjoyable. Add that to the happy snugglies that are on their way to their probable honeymoon doing the kissy-kissy thing. Don't get me wrong, I can and do appreciate it, however, please, not in my lap, and not for four plus hours.
    The reality of it is courtesy and manners extended in all directions goes a long, long way, especially on a long flight. Tilt your seat back a bit by all means, be comfy, but please, and I DO stress please, one doesn't have to lay in my lap.
    Mr. Ratt

Most seats only recline about 4" or so at the top, unless you're sitting up front. Not really a big deal when the average pitch is 31"-33". There's already way too much passive-aggressive behavior on airplanes, these things are just going to make it worse of they become more widespread.

Eagle Beach, exploring the "Outback", Madi's tour to the Natural Pool , dinner at Papiamento's
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ratt View Post
    The reality of it is courtesy and manners extended in all directions goes a long, long way, especially on a long flight. Tilt your seat back a bit by all means, be comfy, but please, and I DO stress please, one doesn't have to lay in my lap.
    I'm right with you on that comment!!!!

It really is all about courtesy, yet it's been a rare flight in which the person in front of me hasn't reclined. I never really thought it made that much of difference to me since I am quite short, but this past trip we flew Jet Blue and I didn't see anyone reclinining and I really was a lot more comfortable. It certainly would make me think twice before I reclined again.

In most cases reclining a seat is not a problem even though I avoid doing this in most occasions except for very long flights
    some flights like a Air Transat Charters the seat pitch is 29" for economy seating,
    never again.. if I can"t fly Club Class I won't fly Air Transat.
    But I could have used these things in the past , there have been occasion when the people in front of me feel as soon as we're off the ground it's there invitation to throw there seat back and forth at there own will, or reclining with there arms stretched back over the seat nearly teasing my hair, that been said I can't see these being allowed as the price you pay for your seat can reflect wether the seat can recline or not or is situated .

Here is the easiest way to think of it, or at least from where I sit...
    "Be the traveler you want to see in the world"
    Go ahead, be a trendsetter, set an example.
    You never know what good might come of it.
    Mr. Ratt

Quote Originally Posted by Chadd View Post
    For US travel, installing any device on a seat wouldn't be legal without FAA approval, at a minimum, and I can't imagine the FAA approved them for use.

For what it's worth, they have nothing to do with "defending knees" as I have yet to see someone so tall that their knees come up into the back of the seat without slouching significantly. AT 31"-32" pitch, you would have to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 7' tall for it to actually be a problem. I'd be willing to bet the average height of the guys buying them is a lot closer to 5'-8".
    @ 6'4" and a 36" inseam I am hardly close to 7' tall but can tell you a 31" seat pitch puts my knees just touching the seat back. The person in front of me can crack the recline and I am still OK, but when that 5'8" guy treats his seat like a LazyBoy I am screwed.

I on the other hand never full recline a seat no matter the size of the person behind me. It would be nice to be in an exit row but it too is filled with 5'8" people looking for "legroom". If they only had a clue.
    Aruba where the toughest question each day is "where to dine tonight".

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ratt View Post
    Here is the easiest way to think of it, or at least from where I sit...
    "Be the traveler you want to see in the world"
    Go ahead, be a trendsetter, set an example.
    You never know what good might come of it.
    Agreed...treat people like you like to be treated. Way too much selfishness in the world.

Commit acts of kindness and it will come back ten fold

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast