Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Pets on US Air?

Quote Originally Posted by luvsun View Post
    Has anyone put there dogs in baggage? Ours are too big for under the seat!! We are talking to friends about keeping our dogs, just not sure how they will do on the flight. (Chicago direct). We don't want them to be tramatized. I'm not sure if I can give them away when we move.
    There is a airline that is for animals but they don't fly international. ;~(
    When we first talked about taking Max to Aruba I checked all airlines. Because of Temperatures at each airport it was almost impossible for a pet to fly in baggage.
    We see pets fly in from Europe all the time. I guess they are more civilized as to pets.
    I personally think all/most North American Airlines do not have a heated, pressurized area below any more.

I know Aquaman (John) was having great difficulty tring to get his 2 dogs to Aruba last year. I do not know if he was able to.
    Eagle Beach Boy
    Ontario, Canada

Arrow Delta

Pets As Carry On

"Some pets can travel with you in the cabin for a one-way fee of 125 USD/CAD* (to be collected at check-in) for travel within U.S./Canada, U.S. Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico (200 USD/CAD/EUR* for travel outside the U.S.).

Pets permitted in the cabin include dogs, cats, and household birds. The following restrictions apply:

• Your pet must be small enough to fit comfortably in a kennel under the seat directly in front of you. Maximum carry-on kennel dimensions are determined by your flight. You must contact Delta Reservations to determine the appropriate kennel size.
    • Your pet must remain inside the kennel (with door secured) while in a Delta boarding area (during boarding and deplaning), a Delta airport lounge, and while onboard the aircraft.
    • Your pet must be at least 8 weeks old.
    • You may not carry on more than one pet.
    • Your pet in-cabin counts as one piece of carry-on baggage.
    • If you're traveling to Hawaii, your pet won't be able to go with you in the cabin, and other restrictions may apply. See Pets to Hawaii for more information.
    • *CAD amount will be charged exit Canada, and EUR amount will be charged exit Europe. Fees established by the contract of carriage in effect at the time of ticket issuance will apply.

Exception: Two pets of the same type may be allowed in one kennel, for example two dogs or two cats. They must be small enough to fit in one kennel provided they are compatible and must be of the same species and size, and they must meet the requirements of acceptance. They will be charged as one pet.

Also, Delta limits the number of pets per flight, but only one per passenger, to:

Class Number of Pets Allowed
    First Class 2
    BusinessElite® 2
    Main Cabin 4

Pets are accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis. Call Delta in advance at 800-221-1212 to arrange to bring your pet on board."

Requirements & Restrictions -- there are MANY of them

Year-round Restrictions

Delta will not accept animals as checked baggage during extreme weather ... if at any point during the animal's trip the temperature is forecast to be: Above

75° Fahrenheit (24°C) for snub- or pug-nosed dogs and cats. See chart
    85° Fahrenheit (29.4°C) for all other breeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Beach Boy View Post
    When we first talked about taking Max to Aruba I checked all airlines. Because of Temperatures at each airport it was almost impossible for a pet to fly in baggage.
    We see pets fly in from Europe all the time. I guess they are more civilized as to pets.
    I personally think all/most North American Airlines do not have a heated, pressurized area below any more.

I know Aquaman (John) was having great difficulty tring to get his 2 dogs to Aruba last year. I do not know if he was able to.
    The big issue is the temp. Just about every airline has a maximum temperature for pets in the cargo bin, as there were a significant number of deaths annually prior to those policies being put in place. Rarely does the temp reach that point in most of Europe.

I know Delta has even gone so far as to refuse to accept a number of bulldog breeds as their genetic breathing issues make them more susceptible to problems.

As for those with allergies, as long as the airlines can charge a bunch of people $100 or more to bring pets in the cabin, you're really out of luck. They're going to take the added revenue every time.

Anywhere I can feel the sun and the nice aruban breeze!
    I can totally understand the allergy problem but I will move to Aruba with 2 of my 4 cats. Frankly, I don't know if I would put them in the cargo section. One was traumatised before I got her and she is still a nervous wreck. I will give my cats a tranquilizer for the drive to the airport and for the flight but I would prefer to have them with me in case they wake up during the flight.

I will make my stay in the plane as short as possible by getting a window seat in the first or second row so I can board last and exit first. I will also talk to my vet, maybe there is somekind of product that will help prevent the spread of my cats' fur.

Thank you for bringing this up, I wouldn't want to cause someone any major problem.

Aruba since 1979
    i find it "interesting" that a cat in a carrier (caged) and under a seat can cause severe allergic reactions to those allergic to cats.
    i know cat dander is the thing that triggers allergic reactions.
    is it from the recycled air?

i also find it "interesting" that the smell of peanut butter on a plane can cause someone on the plane with a peanut allergy to have an allergic reaction.

can someone smarter than i explain how cat dander from a cat in a carrier under seat A row 14 can cause difficulties to someone in row 4 ?
    how does the allergan from the cat dander travel?
    from the air handling system?

**we have 2 cats and 1 dog in our family. my husband's brother and wife will not come to florida to visit as they tell us they are allergic and cannot come in the house. when they used to visit us in waltham, it took very little time for my husband's brother to have red eyes and be wheezing.

It was a big deal here in the news a couple of weeks ago...a third grader who was allergic to peanuts had a severe reaction by just touching peanut butter while doing a crafts project in class. They were rolling pine cones in peanut butter and then rolling in seeds for birds.

There are MANY arguments on this subject if you do a search on google...

If You're Severely Allergic to Cats, Flying Can Be a Hazard to Your Health

http://allergicliving.com/index.php/...-on-the-plane/

"
    The risk of a severe reaction for passengers with asthma is relatively low with air travel, according to Dr. Antony Ham Pong, an Ottawa allergist. Dander takes time to accumulate, so the level of dander would depend on how long the cat has been on the plane. “The risk is certainly lower than walking into a house where someone lives with a cat,” he says.

The level of reaction would also depend on a person’s asthma control. “If someone has uncontrolled asthma and he or she is sitting beside a cat, it can lead to big-time trouble,” says Dr. Ham Pong. “It could be fatal. But if his or her asthma is under control, it shouldn’t be a big issue. Just don’t sit next to the cat.” "

I am not taking a stance on this issue, "I don't have a cat in this fight " but would ask the question,

If peanuts are not allowed on airplanes due to people being allergic, then why would animals be permitted if people were allergic?

I have a ton of allergies and know for a fact that you can be slightly allergic to some things and highly allergic to others. At what point do you draw the line?

I just googled cat dander and landed on this website http://cats.about.com/od/allergiesan.../catdander.htm

I too am allergic to cats but discovered that certain cats did not trigger my allergies as much as others. My brother in law, who is allergic and has asthma finds that my cats do not cause him to have so much problems. I now understand things a lot more. My cats are female, they have short hair and are neutered. I wonder, if I wash them before going off for the flight, will that help reduce the spreading of the dander. I'll talk to my vet about it.

As for peanut butter, the sense of smell is closely related to the sense of taste. It is biological if I am not mistaking. Here is a website that could explain things a little better. http://peanut-butter.org/peanut-butt...Butter+Allergy

Aruba since 1979
    it is good that the member randl posted about her sister being highly allergic.
    see what interesting conversation started?
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 05-05-2011 at 04:36 PM.

As John Tesh puts it, it is food for thoughts.

John (Aquaman) and I have talked about getting our dogs down there and have not come up with a way. There is only one cruise ship that allows dogs and they don't go to Aruba. Anyone out there have a plane they would want to take us?? ;-D

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast