Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Pets on US Air?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    is it from the recycled air?
    The air in a commercial airliner gets exchanged very quickly, believe it or not.

Anywhere I can feel the sun and the nice aruban breeze!
    Quote Originally Posted by luvsun View Post
    John (Aquaman) and I have talked about getting our dogs down there and have not come up with a way. There is only one cruise ship that allows dogs and they don't go to Aruba. Anyone out there have a plane they would want to take us?? ;-D
    If you are paying for the airfare, I will even babysit and walk your dogs

Quote Originally Posted by Chadd View Post
    The air in a commercial airliner gets exchanged very quickly, believe it or not.

I was wandering about this. I know someone who often gets the flu on a plane Good to know the odors do not circulate much in the cabin

So if I do take all the precautions I mentionned before, my kitty cats shouldn't cause to much problems. I also will advise the people around me.

Thanks for helping me on this whole kitty matter. It was one that was stressing me a little. I now know exactly what to do.

Well, I can check this off of my to do list before my move

Quote Originally Posted by Missou View Post
    I was wandering about this. I know someone who often gets the flu on a plane Good to know the odors do not circulate much in the cabin

So if I do take all the precautions I mentionned before, my kitty cats shouldn't cause to much problems. I also will advise the people around me.

Thanks for helping me on this whole kitty matter. It was one that was stressing me a little. I now know exactly what to do.

Well, I can check this off of my to do list before my move
    I get sick much more often since I started working for an airline. It has more to do with being in such close proximity to so many people and nothing to do with the air quality in most cases.

To be honest, I wouldn't say anything at all about your cats once you get on the airplane. It's just inviting complaints and problems. If someone asks, tell them, but don't go inviting problems. Even the most allergic person won't likely notice a cat that's a row or two away. As soon as you tell people though, passengers 15 rows away will start to complain. I've seen it happen more times than I can count.

By the way, you can't have a pet in a bulkhead row. There's no seat to put the carrier under and nothing to restrain it in the event of an emergency.

Thanks Chadd!!

I haven't thought about that. I won't say a thing, I'll take a second row seat and take all the precautions that I talked about earlier.

Thanks again.

Banned
    From Chadd's recent post...."To be honest, I wouldn't say anything at all about your cats once you get on the airplane. It's just inviting complaints and problems. If someone asks, tell them, but don't go inviting problems. Even the most allergic person won't likely notice a cat that's a row or two away. As soon as you tell people though, passengers 15 rows away will start to complain. I've seen it happen more times than I can count."

I was thinking the same thing, Chadd. Mums the word, and no one will be the wiser.

US Air Pets UPDATE

Here is the first post......
    I found this on "FlyerTalk" Forums.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I was advised that effective tomorrow (May 3) that US is changing its pet policy so that pet reservations will now all be handled at the airport. Presently, if you travel with a pet accompanying you in the cabin, you call US to determine if the flight has pet availability and if so, obtain a record locator for the pet. You then pay the pet fee at the airport prior to departure.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Updates.....
    1=
    I was advised that the only difference between the old and new policy is that US will no longer make pet reservations over the phone - but that you can go to the airport and make the pet reservation.

I've written back to US asking them to clarify whether "going to the airport" to make the reservation from a timing standpoint means only on the day of travel or whether it means you can make the reservation by going to the airport in advance of the day of travel. Will post an update again when I hear back from US.

In one of my conversations, I was advised that the reason for this change was due to the number of pet "no-shows" for reservations that had been taken over the phone - and that the likelihood of not being able to get the pet onboard in the cabin was slim given that there is rarely a time that there are more than 6 pets on the plane (current limit for in-cabin pets). I don't think that addresses the issue if, for example you want to travel in First as the current 6 pet limit is 2 in first. Example: You pay for 2 FC tickets or get 2 FC award tickets - you have 2 small pets - and you get to the airport to make the pet reservation on day of travel only to find that someone else in first got to the airport with a pet and your pets are not allowed due to the 2 pet limit. Hard to advance plan in that case if you can't make the pet reservation in advance.

2=
    Latest update rec'd via email from US:
    "The procedure for booking a pet only varies in the location that the pet reservation is made now, at the airport rather than by phone. The procedure at the airport on the day of departure has not changed."
    Have gone back and asked US for one more clarification that the trip to the airport to make the reservation can be done well in advance of the trip rather than on the date of departure...

Still waiting.....
    Eagle Beach Boy
    Ontario, Canada

It would be absurd for you to have to show up in person to make a reservation in advance. Obviously, that doesn't mean it isn't the policy.

Banned
    Ok, now my head is really spinning. Why is everything sooooo difficult? There has to be a better way? Why don't they charge the pet "no-shows" a huge non-refundable fee? That might deter people who are not serious pet travelers.

Quote Originally Posted by jerseygirl View Post
    Ok, now my head is really spinning. Why is everything sooooo difficult? There has to be a better way? Why don't they charge the pet "no-shows" a huge non-refundable fee? That might deter people who are not serious pet travelers.
    I agree.

Why not charge the pet fee when you book your flight. We book Max at the same time we book our flights.

If they can not book Max we will not book our flights.
    Eagle Beach Boy
    Ontario, Canada

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast