Aruba Beach
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible Airport Strike

Any updated information?

I have no more info. Tomorrow's Diario and Bon Dia might have something.

For now, all quiet.

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Sannic, thanks for keeping us posted. cindyo

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by SanNic44 View Post
    I have no more info. Tomorrow's Diario and Bon Dia might have something.

For now, all quiet.

Thank you SanNic.

Until this is resolved, you won't see any more , , or from me..........only and, especially . I'm on strike.
    Last edited by rob o; 02-01-2009 at 07:24 PM.
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by rob o View Post
    Thank you SanNic.

Until this is resolved, you won't see any more , , or from me..........only and, especially . I'm on strike.
    As my hubby always tells me when we travel...."Remember to pack your sense of humor". There are always going to be things that happen that are beyond our control - you just have to make the best of it (we were in Paris during 9/11....you just have to learn to roll with the punches sometimes - it would never stop me from traveling anywhere.)
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~ View Post
    As my hubby always tells me when we travel...."Remember to pack your sense of humor".
    Sorry....no sense of humor when it's an intentional act that could ruin a vacation for my family.

This is not the same as a delayed flight, a lost piece of luggage, a weather delay....a strike is intentional.

The ATA needs to take action!!

I do have to agree with RobO!! When you are travelling to a foreign country you don't need to be harrassed, feel that your safety is threatened and have your hard earned vacation ruined. Aruba, like many Carribean islands, rely on the tourists for their livelihood. A reputation can be ruined in a mere matter of minutes but it can take much longer to gain it back. In this economy, tourists will not take to kindly to the type of behaviour that was exhibited last year and will take their tourist dollars elsewhere. Unfortunatley, those "strikers" are very shortsighted. If Aruba looses tourists their livelihood and those of many on the island will suffer.
    Unfortunatley, militant strikers never seem to think of the far reaching consequences of their actions. Strike if you want but do not make people feel their safety is in jeopardy as that is a totally different "story"!
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

I guess after all the many years of traveling we've done and all the various "circumstances" we've had to deal with in foreign countries, I just don't let it bother me. It doesn't mean I agree with it, it just means that it's out of my control and that's life when you travel out of the country - travel to me is always an adventure.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Aruba since 1979
    i think that all of us should wait to see how this plays out before we get angry and frustrated.

what is rumor and what is fact and what are the employees requesting/demanding?
    there are always at least 2 sides to all stories and this may have many sides.

i am uncertain if the ata is the one to write to.
    i know i suggested writing to them.
    but, what about the labor minister's office?

we are a community with the love of aruba joining us at the hip.

i was on island last year towards the end of the job action/strike/protests and what i saw was of no consequence to my husband or me. we saw picketers holding signs. all was quite orderly.

what we saw was very different than what cindy and rob saw and experienced.

either way though, taking our inconvenience out of the mix, what gives us the right to condemn any job action that takes place out of the country? sure it is inconvenient to us, but as i said let's take the inconvenience out of the mix for this post.

sure we can all say OMGOSH they are requesting 25%?!?!?!
    but maybe that 25% is a figure that is not accurate.

a number of yrs ago, i got a 30% raise. i had not had a raise in 11 yrs so a 30% was in order and i felt was not even enough.

so before we all get out panties in a knot, let's allow this to play out, get the information that is provided and then discuss and write to whoever needs writing to.

and if i have the guts i may post my thoughts on the "tipping" thread too.

andrea

Thumbs down

Anyone remember how Ronald Reagan dealt with the air traffic controller's strike?

.....just a suggestion as to how Aruba should deal with this situation.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast