Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: A post from a new member...re: denied air due to parental permission

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    How do any of these authorities know if a child traveling with 1 parent even has a father or mother? Maybe the childs other parent is deceased or maybe a single parent for other reasons. Who do you get a note from then, and why should you?

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
    How do any of these authorities know if a child traveling with 1 parent even has a father or mother? Maybe the childs other parent is deceased or maybe a single parent for other reasons. Who do you get a note from then, and why should you?
    Excerpt from the link I posted:

If there is no second parent with legal claims to the child (deceased, sole custody, etc.) any other relevant paperwork, such as a court decision, birth certificate naming only one parent, death certificate, etc., would be useful.

According to Visit Aruba "Children under the age of 18 not traveling with parents must have an original birth certificate or a certified copy of birth certificate AND a notarized letter of permission signed by BOTH parents or a Sole Custody or Father Unknown document." While Children under the age of 18 not traveling with parents must have an original birth certificate or a certified copy of birth certificate AND a notarized letter of permission signed by BOTH parents or a Sole Custody or Father Unknown document.
    Jen
    Owner 2 weeks Marriott Surf ClubNov 02, Jul 06, Jul 08, Oct 09, back in Aug 11
    Mom to DS Dec 06 and DD Dec 08

While It might be infuriating that the airline did not allow them onto the plane, if Aruba's rules state they must have the documentation it would be horribly irresponsible for the airline to allow them on the plane. Did they research the rules of the US and Aruba before going to the airport? Honestly I know I would be pissed if I were them but as far as the airline knew the mother did not have permission to take the child. Out of the country, honestly I think the airlines should check for this in every situation.
    Jen

I've been lucky too - it was never a problem for me when I traveled with my daughter and we have different last names.

Quote Originally Posted by gretch View Post
    Hi, I have 2 children ages 9 and 14. The only places we travel to are Aruba and Florida and always on Jetblue. I like to vacation for 2 weeks but my husband canít take that long off from work so he meets us wherever we are going 5 or 6 days later which means I travel alone with the kids. I have NEVER been denied boarding. Iíve actually never been questioned or anything similar. If I had to guess Iíve flown alone with my girls at least 10 times.

As a matter of fact, my husband adopted my oldest daughter but before he did she had a different last name than both of us. I had her biological father sign a notarized letter giving us permission just in case but the airline never asked for it. This was in 2002 on AA before Jetblue had non-stop to Aruba (or may AA was cheaper, I forget).

It probably depends on who you get at the airline and whether or not they are a stickler. Although, now Iím paranoid and will have a letter from my husband in August!!

Correct PR is not international but still even flying domestic with a child that you are not the legal parent or that has a different last name, they could ask for documentation. Otherwise people can kidnap children and Fly to another state. I think what Jet Blue told me was that as long as the minor was 14 and over they could fly alone. We were on separate reservations but on the same flight. We also flew to Seattle that year from NY and I also checked before i left and they told me the same that as long as she was 14 I would not have a problem. We are flying again this fall to Puerto Rico and she will be 16.

I am the person who originally asked the question. I was just accepted this AM as a member and I thank all for responding. It has been hard not being able to respond over the weekend. My main question was trying to find out if this is a common occurrence --- for us it was not. While I agree the ruling may be good to prevent kidnapping -- what is the purpose of the passport when both parents have to appear in person to get a passport -- and if it is not enforced for all?

I questioned the airlines when I gave them her NEW passport number (she is on her second one) -- if all was OK for her. I called and got my seat assignments. I also called to get her a FF#. Somewhere in this process somewhere it should state this is required.
    If this is a rule and it is randomly enforced --- what is the purpose?

I have written to the US Consulate and received the following:
    http://www.aruba.com/sigma/Entry_Req-Eng.pdf
    The airlines web page does not state that a notarized form is needed to travel with children.

When researching the Passport requirements http://travel.state.gov/content/chil...t-program.html ---- it gives another option for parents - if they are concerned for kidnapping. It also states both parents must appear.

While Visit Aruba -- may state the need for this letter --- I do not rank it as high as the other sites for validity. But if it is the rule -- I give them credit for stepping forward.

Thanks again to all. I am posting this to alert anyone and also to find out if this was a random act. Personally -- we feel like the victim of an ambiguous "rule". The agents were doing what they felt was their job. But even they could not produce a document showing where it was required -- only a Blog posting. This Blog posting caused us the loss of our timeshare for this year. I am just asking for the facts.
    Thanks again to all.

Because something can change between a passport being issued and a child traveling. You could get a passport for your child with your husband and then decide to leave him and leave the country with your child. You may not be in a relationship with the other parent and give permission to travel to Canada but not Egypt. While in this situation the passport was recently issued they are also good for five years and a good situation can become very very different in that timeframe.

Many rules are randomly enforced, some airports make you take off your shoes and some don't for example. Some rules they choose to keep you guessing on if you will be singled out and checked. I am not saying it does not suck but that this is the world of traveling today.

What airline was it?
    Jen

The airlines was AirTran. I went to two additional layers of management and no document was produced other than a blog from Trip Advisor for a child traveling without a parent......posted in 2010.
    I wrote them and they copied what they had on their website on March 25th. On the day of travel -March 15 - I have to assume it was the same. But I
    can say a month prior --- what was posted is the same as it is now. Neither stated a notarized letter the end of February nor the end of April.
    To your point --- I asked the agent - when this letter should be signed. I was told it could be signed a YEAR in advance. We all know LOTs can change in a YEAR - a MONTH or a WEEK.
    The reason they denied us boarding --- as we were told -- was not a US rule but a rule from Aruba. If they had allowed us to go - we could have been stuck in Aruba. Point still remains --- where is it written and why does it not apply to all traveling with children.
    You are correct -- it is the world we live in. Who knows your next flight may be brown shoe day and they deny because you are wearing black --- haha.
    Thanks for your input.
    Answer to my original question --- no one has had the same experience.

So sorry to hear of your experience. I have never traveled internationally without my husband so I have nothing to add but just wanted to respond.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast