Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: A post from a new member...re: denied air due to parental permission

Jomar, I’m really glad you shared your situation here as I often travel with my children alone to Aruba, as stated above. Because of that, yesterday I had a document created and notarized on behalf of my husband giving me permission to travel to Aruba with our kids. I would not have done this had I not seen your post. It will be interesting to see if I am asked for it, but at least now I am prepared. I feel awful that happened to you, I can’t imagine being denied boarding.

I will be anxious to hear if they ask for it. No one has ever heard of this happening before.
    I own at the Surf Club and mentioned it to my rep there and no one at Marriott had ever heard of this.
    It was a sad day for a 6 year old to find out she could not go..........and for the rest of us.
    Thanks for responding and grab a ray of sunshine for us.

Last November we had a similar situation with AirTran. We were taking a friend (12 year old girl) for our 13 year old daughter. We were denied boarding with her for not having notarized permission from her parents. We thought we were doing right by travel ins., medical cards, CC authorization for her, etc.. Did not know about the permission thing. We immediately called her parents, they rushed out to the nearest notary, hand wrote the document, had it notarized, faxed a copy to the manager at the ticket counter and emailed her and us a copy. We were pushed through all the check in/security lines by this manager and had plenty of time at boarding. After the initial shock and frantic phone call to her parents, the airline was to the point. We were kind and they worked with us. All in all, not a bad experience. They explained, I understood.

Why did you not contact the father for the document? Even if you had to make delayed flight arrangements to Aruba, I would not have cancelled my vacation.

Aruba since 1979
    Awesome that all worked out well.
    Thank you for telling us your story !
    Quote Originally Posted by White5WV View Post
    Last November we had a similar situation with AirTran. We were taking a friend (12 year old girl) for our 13 year old daughter. We were denied boarding with her for not having notarized permission from her parents. We thought we were doing right by travel ins., medical cards, CC authorization for her, etc.. Did not know about the permission thing. We immediately called her parents, they rushed out to the nearest notary, hand wrote the document, had it notarized, faxed a copy to the manager at the ticket counter and emailed her and us a copy. We were pushed through all the check in/security lines by this manager and had plenty of time at boarding. After the initial shock and frantic phone call to her parents, the airline was to the point. We were kind and they worked with us. All in all, not a bad experience. They explained, I understood.

Why did you not contact the father for the document? Even if you had to make delayed flight arrangements to Aruba, I would not have cancelled my vacation.

It was 6:30 am on a Sat and the flight left at 8:30. We called the father and he was willing to do what was needed --- but there was no notary available at that time.
    They did not want to talk to him.
    We tried to get another flight later --- but they told us they were sold out -- and that the next available flight was not a direct flight -- it would leave late Monday --- and at that time the forecast was for a snow event for BALTIMORE on Monday.
    We had a return flight for Sat --- and opted to go back home.

Thanks for responding

I am sorry this happened. I am also traveling with 4 boys who arent mine....3 of them are already 18 and one is about to be. for him i have permission notarized from parents, copies of his medical and dental insurance cards, and permission to make medical decisions for him.

ok---i have everything but his birth certificate...not a problem. i can get that today. but i noticed someone mentioned CC authorization......what is that?

Aruba since 1979
    cc authorization

when we brought our son's friend on our travels we had all of the proper documentation.
    we carried trip insurance too for the 4 of us.

remember though, ALL medical expenses are out of pocket and would be reimbursable from one's own health insurance and the trip insurance.

that being said...
    if there was something huge, catastrophic, requiring med flight which can be in the many thousands of $$$, would you want it on your credit card and hope that they reimburse you? or the parent of the child's credit card?
    the parents allowed to have him and us as an authorized signer for the duration for the trip.
    during the numerous times that he traveled with us on cruises and aruba, the credit card never came out of its envelope.

there is a huge amount of trust that goes with all of this

jane...the 4th kid, he has a passport right?

Quote Originally Posted by nikko View Post
    I am sorry this happened. I am also traveling with 4 boys who arent mine....3 of them are already 18 and one is about to be. for him i have permission notarized from parents, copies of his medical and dental insurance cards, and permission to make medical decisions for him.

ok---i have everything but his birth certificate...not a problem. i can get that today. but i noticed someone mentioned CC authorization......what is that?

yes he does.....lol.....i have it and everything else so far. so i would need his moms card and a notarized authorization for us to use it.....thats what it is right? do i have to have that or is it just a personal precaution for yourself?

Aruba since 1979
    personal precaution, you do NOT have to have it.

also we did not have notarized authorization to use it.
    we actually were added onto the card acct as was the child and got a credit card to keep in the travel folder for him.

when we came home from each trip, we handed ALL documents and credit cards (entire travel folder) back to them.

as i said, there is a lot of trust involved.

when you go to the counter to check in for your upcoming flight.
    i would suggest that you do not offer any of the documents re: this 17 yr old unless asked.

Quote Originally Posted by nikko View Post
    yes he does.....lol.....i have it and everything else so far. so i would need his moms card and a notarized authorization for us to use it.....thats what it is right? do i have to have that or is it just a personal precaution for yourself?

dont plan on it!!! lol thanks!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast