Aruba Beach
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: A post from a new member...re: denied air due to parental permission

This is an update:
    I booked my tickets with Southwest for 2015. Because of all the problems we encountered at the counter trying to board last year --- I asked customer service what documents were needed and proceeded to explain what happened last year. The agent said she was not aware of that being a requirement to enter into Aruba. She said that Mexico was a definite for having the parental papers --- but since the mother was there --- she was not sure what the problem was.
    I will have the letter notarized this year --- and it will be interesting to see whether it is asked for.
    As a note -- over 5000 people have read this posting and no one had the same problem. So wish me luck -- I am a little gun shy and hope that an agent does not have a new rule......... and we lose another week.
    Happy Travels to all.

Quote Originally Posted by jomar410 View Post
    This is an update:
    I booked my tickets with Southwest for 2015. Because of all the problems we encountered at the counter trying to board last year --- I asked customer service what documents were needed and proceeded to explain what happened last year. The agent said she was not aware of that being a requirement to enter into Aruba. She said that Mexico was a definite for having the parental papers --- but since the mother was there --- she was not sure what the problem was.
    I will have the letter notarized this year --- and it will be interesting to see whether it is asked for.
    As a note -- over 5000 people have read this posting and no one had the same problem. So wish me luck -- I am a little gun shy and hope that an agent does not have a new rule......... and we lose another week.
    Happy Travels to all.
    I believe that I wrote about being asked a number of times for a parental letter. Many times you need to show the parental letter BEFORE you board the plane. I have been asked at check in and at US customs en route to Aruba. I was the mother traveling with my children without my husband/their father. Many times I did not get asked either. As stated my kids traveled without both parents and they also got asked as well. Go back and read my previous (long) post.
    Think about this... we have heard many stories about a parent taking a child out of the country and the other parent can't locate them. A parent could tell the child we are going on vacation as a way to get that child out of the country. It happens!! So, while it is a pain to get these notarized documents it is really for a good reason. More agents should be asking and checking as it is for the child's own safety.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    It would be impossible for us to take our 14 year old GD to Aruba. Her mother would sign the permission slip but the father is no where to be found. We know he was in Louisiana 2 years ago, but that was the last time he contacted her and no one knows how to contact him. He is a drug addict so he could even be in jail or dead.

Aruba since 1979
    tragic
    a family court judge should be able to issue the proper documentation so that she'd be able to travel.

Quote Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
    It would be impossible for us to take our 14 year old GD to Aruba. Her mother would sign the permission slip but the father is no where to be found. We know he was in Louisiana 2 years ago, but that was the last time he contacted her and no one knows how to contact him. He is a drug addict so he could even be in jail or dead.

I am no lawyer but I would assume if the mother has sole custody then she could provide the notarized letter. She would have to state that she is the sole custodian parent and she gives her permission. A family lawyer would be able to tell her what to provide in the letter. Where we live there are no such thing as a Notary so my letters were done by a family lawyer with his legal seal on it. He provided his telephone number and business card was attached.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

You may have an issue getting a passport if he is listed on her birth certificate. You would have to have a judge grant her mother sole custody.

Quote Originally Posted by jomar410 View Post
    This is an update:
    Happy Travels to all.
    Good luck!! Hope all goes smoothly!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

In 2011, I took our two small children to Aruba without my wife, we were never asked a single question. I did have a notarized letter, wife was coming for the 2nd week (work issue).

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345