Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pull the trigger?

Pull the trigger?

Was on flydotcom today getting airfare quotes. Cheapoair popped up with a $415 quote roundtrip from Detroit Metro. With promo code I can get them at $405 each - the airline is Spirit Air. The flight is from DTW to Ft Lauderdale, then to Aruba. DTW is only 2 hours all expressway from us and is a very easy airport to get in and out of.

My only kicker is Spirit Air, I have heard some pretty bad reviews?? Should I say what the heck what can you expect for $405 or should I spend more and go with US Airways? Spirit quotes the same flight on their site for $930 - so the $120 savings would more than likely cover all baggage fee's.

US Air is at $1100 total right now.

Any thoughts?

Save the money and spend it on a good meal.$415 from anywhere is a great price.Is that with taxes?

Yes $810 total all taxes and fee's included.

I would go with what you feel most comfortable with. In my own mind, you are right about the extra charges = to US Air fare so may as go with a full service airline no? Real quick off the top of my head two carry ons and 2 suitcases round trip on Spirit will run you $212 total round trip

Lisa you may even be low on that quote Looks like a carry on would be $35 ea since we would not be able to do it online while purchasing the tickets on cheapoair. Checked would be $38 each. So $146 each way....going to have to jump into US Air and check their baggage fee's now.

US Air only charges for checked bags - would be $50 each way.

US Air - $1073 + $100 baggage fee's
    Spirit - $810 + $292 baggage fee's

A mere $71 difference???

Aruba since 1979
    spirit brings folks in with what to be low fares.
    then they nickel and dime all the way til you say to "heck with it" and move on to another airline. spirit charges for carry on that is stowed in the overhead. :-(

go with usair or whatever you feel most comfortable with.

US Air flight does not depart until 4:40 PM from the island Well guess it was not such a special deal after all will keep searching. Should just spring for the extra $600 and book 1st class on the way down No baggage fee's that way LOL
    Last edited by milocoman; 05-11-2011 at 09:22 PM.

If you are thinking of booking via spirit, you might want to look into joining their $9 fare club. There are usually some discounts that go along with the program. I flew down on them once and they treated me very well, but they do hit you harder on the add-on fees than just about anyone else.

Well all the extra fee's from Spirit scared me away!! We booked Airtran out of DTW going down - 6AM departure will be on the beach at 1:30

Return I had to go through US Air as Airtran had nothing favorable for return to trip to DTW. US Air does not depart until 4:40 and gets us to DTW around midnight.

$404 to
    $576 back

With no charge carry ons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast