Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Saturday departure disaster at the airport- was it because it was a holiday?

Saturday departure disaster at the airport- was it because it was a holiday?

We left on Saturday and our flight was leaving at 3:30pm, prime time for most of the flights leaving Aruba. Although we were going directly back to Canada and only had to clear Aruba customs and Aruba security, it was absolutely crazy at the Aruba security line. We have traveled at this time in March before but we never saw the security line this bad. The Canadian and US meet up at the Aruba security line so we could see the line up for security for the US flights. It was backed up down the hall and through the door. I don't think there were enough Aruba security people working because it was Flag Day. Apparently, people missed flights as it took close to 4 hours to do both customs/security lines.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Glad you made it out but sounds like a stressful day at the airport.

Wow! Stressful flying days are the worst!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

We were going to Canada not US so the line was long but it wasn't anywhere near what the US departure was. For us it wasn't too bad.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Aruba since 1979
    sounds terrible
    i cannot imagine...folks must have been quite angry.

i do wonder if it was related to flag/anthem day?
    or if it was US Customs being understaffed and causing the back up?

you said that you had to clear Aruba Customs.
    clearing Aruba customs usually happens upon entry into Aruba.
    clearing it again on departure, is this something new?

folks on saturdays, probably need to leave even more time to plan for getting thru the airport.

this is not a good last memory of an aruba vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    We left on Saturday and our flight was leaving at 3:30pm, prime time for most of the flights leaving Aruba. Although we were going directly back to Canada and only had to clear Aruba customs and Aruba security, it was absolutely crazy at the Aruba security line. We have traveled at this time in March before but we never saw the security line this bad. The Canadian and US meet up at the Aruba security line so we could see the line up for security for the US flights. It was backed up down the hall and through the door. I don't think there were enough Aruba security people working because it was Flag Day. Apparently, people missed flights as it took close to 4 hours to do both customs/security lines.

Sorry I meant Aruba security not customs. The backlog that I could see was waiting for Aruba security. US and Canada clear separately at the agent desk and then come together when you have to go through the security screening part. Canada has one line for security screening and US another. Canada was backed up but nothing like the US line, it was terrible. It didn't seem like there were enough staff or may be they need a bigger area to get more equipment to get people through quicker. You could see staff were getting anxious with the back up. I assumed it was because of Flag Day. Glad I wasn't going home via the US this trip!

Palm Beach, Renaissance Island, Arikok National Park
    We went through this same situation traveling back to Canada last July. Crazy Busy! That was the 1st time in the 7 years coming to Aruba. We left to come home this past Sunday and breezed through everything.
    Aruba Trip #7.....March 2017..

Natural Pool, Druif Beach, Eagle Beach, California Lighthouse, Helicopter
    When we went through Aruba security on Wed. 3/15 it seemed slow. People were "on Aruba time" or just flat out didn't want to leave (ME!!!) We always get to the airport 3 hours before our flight and this time we only had about 45 minutes before boarding.
    Im glad you didn't have any problems, Randi. Did you have a direct flight from Aruba to Canada?!
    Laura

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysmiles View Post
    When we went through Aruba security on Wed. 3/15 it seemed slow. People were "on Aruba time" or just flat out didn't want to leave (ME!!!) We always get to the airport 3 hours before our flight and this time we only had about 45 minutes before boarding.
    Im glad you didn't have any problems, Randi. Did you have a direct flight from Aruba to Canada?!
    Yes we went direct to Canada/Toronto. We don't live in Toronto so we had to do a second flight. Many times we will travel through the US as going to Toronto isn't necessarily an advantage since we can't go direct. However, going through customs in Toronto is not picnic either!!!

I always knew that the US bound travelers had to pass through the same security check point as the Non-US passengers. Sometimes what tends to happen is that everyone will line up to go through one of the Security check points, failing to realize that there are two other lines for them to go through. Thankfully my departures out of Aruba have been smooth. Than again I'm always booked on an early flight to Curacao and at that hour of the morning the lines to Security check are not that bad. The floor is extremely cold though, especially when you have to take your shoes off. There needs to be a Security Agent just before to direct departing passengers, or as they do in some of the other islands they will direct families and couples to one booth, single men travelling by themselves to another and single women to the other. Worth a try.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast