Aruba Beach
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Saturday Jan. 2nd US Air flight and airport...INSANE!

The story is supposed to be true..

Actually it was used as an example back in the days when I was trained for airline work. In my company we are allowed to answer back if someone is way out of line, or attacks us personally. Language needs to be decent of course.

Same rules within your airline Chadd?

Quote Originally Posted by princess View Post
    The story is supposed to be true..
    http://www.snopes.com/travel/airline/obnoxious.asp

Thanks for the link, Arubalisa, love reading that stuff

True or not, we all have something to learn from this!

Smile Is this what I should expect?

First, I loved the story. We are coming to Aruba on January 13th for our first trip. I am a little nervous with all that is going on in the airlines right now. I read your story and I am hoping this was a one time incident. Should I expect to be at the airport in line for three to four hours? I am leaving from Philly on US Air. Also, I was told that now we can bring a personal item as well as a carry on. Do you know if that is true? Can't wait to see Aruba!
    Terjoe

In Aruba, when departing, under normal circumstances you need to give yourself lots of time because you are clearing Aruba customs and then you clear US Customs all in the same airport. This is not the case when you are leaving the US.

Jan. 2nd was the busiest travel day of the high season. By Sunday, it was busy but not like on Saturday. Generally speaking, Saturday departures are much busier than any other day of the week.

As far as carry ons, many people had a personal item and a carry on. Your choice, in Aruba they were going through all your carry ons so it depends on how long you want to stand in line. Perhaps someone can tell you how it is leaving Philly to go to Aruba.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Smile Saturday, January 2

Thanks for your reply. Can't wait to see Aruba.

Quote Originally Posted by princess View Post
    Same rules within your airline Chadd?
    I do my best to bite my tongue and not fight back. I've been commended by other passengers a number of times for my ability to do so. Inside my head there are a litany of abusive and derogatory things that I want to say, but I've managed to keep them inside so far.

Fortunately people tend to complain less once they're on the airplane. I also do my best to play the messenger, "it's not my rule, it the company or FAA" and I'm a fairly stocky 6-1. I know how to make all of those things work in my favor when appropriate. Besides, being nice to those people just ticks them off even more than if you fire back at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    In Aruba, when departing, under normal circumstances you need to give yourself lots of time because you are clearing Aruba customs and then you clear US Customs all in the same airport. This is not the case when you are leaving the US.

Jan. 2nd was the busiest travel day of the high season. By Sunday, it was busy but not like on Saturday. Generally speaking, Saturday departures are much busier than any other day of the week.

As far as carry ons, many people had a personal item and a carry on. Your choice, in Aruba they were going through all your carry ons so it depends on how long you want to stand in line. Perhaps someone can tell you how it is leaving Philly to go to Aruba.
    You can never be too early for your flight. I would rather spend an extra hour grabbing some breakfast or reading a book than rushing and worrying about making my flight. Philly can be completely hit or miss as well. It all depends on how many other flights are leaving at roughly the same time as your flight. It usually isn't too bad for the 7:55 flight but as I said, you can never be too early.

As for the carry on, regulations are one carry on and one personal item. I've seen four carry on bags and a large purse/duffel bag. As long as one fits in the overhead and the other fits under your seat, you're fine.

Re: Carry ons

What gets me very angry is when people are seated at the back of the plane put their carry on in the front of the plane! I have seen this happen thousands of time and this makes things so difficult for the people who want to put their carry ons above their seat. Don't know why the flight attendants don't "nip that one in the bud"!!
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Quote Originally Posted by Chadd View Post
    I do my best to bite my tongue and not fight back. I've been commended by other passengers a number of times for my ability to do so. Inside my head there are a litany of abusive and derogatory things that I want to say, but I've managed to keep them inside so far.

Fortunately people tend to complain less once they're on the airplane. I also do my best to play the messenger, "it's not my rule, it the company or FAA" and I'm a fairly stocky 6-1. I know how to make all of those things work in my favor when appropriate. Besides, being nice to those people just ticks them off even more than if you fire back at them.
    Well said Chadd!

I agree, in most cases it is better not to fight back. Part of the job is to see it as a challenge whenever passengers act up. Gives me lots of pleasure and satisfaction every time my patience helps turning someone's bad mood around, makes my day when angry customers leave with a smile after all

I am ground staff, and you are right, we tend to get more complaints, being the ones that so often are the first bearers of bad news when irregularites occur..

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast