Aruba since 1979

Several injured by turbulence on American Airlines flight to Miam

from Miami Herald
    Posted on Tuesday, 07.10.12
    emailprintcommentreprint

Several injured by turbulence on American Airlines flight to Miami

BY MEREDITH RUTLAND
    MRUTLAND@MIAMIHERALD.COM
    Two flight attendants were hospitalized Tuesday and a handful of passengers treated for minor injuries after turbulence slammed into an American Airlines flight bound for Miami International Airport.

The Boeing 757 with 185-passengers onboard took off from Aruba for Miami at around 3:30 p.m., said American Airlines spokesman Matt Miller said.

Some 30 minutes from Miami, Flight 1780 experienced 15 seconds of severe turbulence. The jolting ride threw around the flight attendants and passengers.

The plane finally landed safely at 6:06 p.m. at MIA, where Miami-Dade Fire Rescue workers were waiting, Miller said.

The passengers were treated at the gate, and the two flight attendants were taken to local hospitals.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/07/1...#storylink=cpy

Aruba since 1979
    Must have been incredibly frightening.

So when the captain announces that he is turning the seatbelt light off, but he suggests keeping it on while seated..............remember, he means it . yikes.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Freaking scarey to say the least.

Pelican Pier at sunset with a bucket of Brights! Sunsets at Bunker Bar LG Smith Steakhouse, Paddock
    Saw this on the news this morning pretty scary...I wonder if any of our forum friends were on the flight. One of my biggest fears while flying (other than the obvious of course) it would probably stop me from any future flights. I never take off my seatbelt you never know what mother nature has in store. Hopefully all injured will be ok and glad they made it to land safely.

Oh goodness! Flying that route on that airline!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

To second what Andrea said,

Please, ALWAYS wear your seat belt. And DO NOT congregate in the aisles or at the galley or at the toilet.

There are people who just don't get it, and insist on chatting up the flight attendants. All these fools are doing is putting themselves and others in dangers.

Enjoy the flight from your seat.

Thank you.

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

Maybe it's from the conditioning of wearing my seatbelt in the car, but I always keep mine clicked in the air. That must have been very scary for everyone on the plane. I hope the injured are all okay.
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

Mangel Halto for snorkeling, Palm and Arashi for beach time.
    If it had happened to us, my wife would never get into a plane again. No matter how much I explain to her that a, let's say, 20 cm / 8 in "bump" means a lot to us but nothing to the airplane beacuse we are small and the airplane is a metal giant, she gets scared at the slightest shake. Of course what may have happened to the AA flight wasn't a mere 8 inches bump, but anyway turbulence isn't enough to put a huge jet down, as far as I know.

And yes, I always keep my seatbelts clicked.

Cheers

Marcio

You can't always see it coming and when it hits out of the blue, there is nothing you can do if you aren't strapped in. It may be a 1 in a million thing, but it's also incredibly easy to prevent.

Costa Linda, Renaissance Ocean Suites, any place where there is a beach and tiki hut I am good 8)
    I just don't understand why you wouldn't wear your seat belt while sitting down? You are sitting there anyway, right? Why not just buckle up? Especially if you are going to take a nap or something, you never know.

I don't get it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast