Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping a large dog question

Shipping a large dog question

I am looking for recommendations on taking a 85lb Irish Setter to Aruba. I will be on the island for an extended period. The ideal situation would be to see if we could get on a ship from Miami to Aruba if such a possibility exists. If anyone can suggest a way to get Finnegan there with us please let us know.

Aquaman

John,

I know of many people who bring their dogs back and forth from US and Canada to here.
    You will need a certificate of health, a valid rabies shot and perhaps having your dog chipped (which I don't think they do any more).

You can fly a dog of that size in Cargo. It depends on when you are flying because there
    are temperature restrictions on most airlines. You should do a google of your airline with the words 'pet policy' and you will find that most airlines have all the information there.

To fly your dog back it's the same thing in reverse - a certificate of health and rabies shot.

Here is the official site for Canada. We just flew a cat from here to Vancouver. The people had a layover at Toronto at the Sheraton at the airport. We called them and they accepted pets at the hotel. So if you have to fly and have a layover, you can call around and I have found that most airport hotels do accept pets. You have to sign a waiver which covers any damage the pet might do.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/...i/canine.shtml

If you need more info - please contact me. I can also ask around to my dog rescue friends, but this pretty much covers everything.

Aruba since 1979
    to add more to liz's reply

contact cheryl (username cheryl) by private message on this site.
    she brings her annie with her all of the time, annie though fits under the seat.
    cheryl and her contacts will have answers too for you.

Aruba since 1979
    to add more to liz's reply

contact cheryl (username cheryl) by private message on this site.
    she brings her annie with her all of the time, annie though fits under the seat.
    cheryl and her contacts will have answers too for you.

The problem we have encountered is 2 fold. The weight at 85lbs and the temperature at departure and destination. The airlines will not accept the dog if the temp is 85 or above.

There must be some way to transport a larger animal.

Aruba since 1979
    yes the temperature ALWAYS going in and out of aruba is probably always over 85 degrees.

question............one of the times we were on a flight to or from aruba, there was a large yellow lab laying on the floor in front of an empty seat in 1st class. i stopped and gave him a pat and the owner said it was the only way to transport him, buying him a 1st class ticket. is that really an option?

Wow that's really crazy! A first class ticket!! LOL!

The only thing that I would see as a problem with that is that you
    are required to have your pet in a carrier during the entire plane
    ride in the cabin.

Not sure what they would do with a 'service' dog......

Aruba since 1979
    service dogs are "exempt"
    they must have their "uniform on" (their stuff saying service dog)
    they get to ride under the seat at one's feet.

I did see if we could get a first class ticket for our dogs....can't!!
    Also, i talked to united air, if you put your dog as cargo it is much more expensive then if they go as cargo. they can not exceed 150 lb, including the weight of the kennel. We will be flying out of chicago on a direct flight to aruba. they will keep the dogs in a room until they have to load them on. they are the last ones on and the first ones off. the direct flight is in the morning and should be ok to leave as far as the degrees.

Eagle beach boy (Gary) lives in Canada and did a lot of research on this. I don't know the size of his dog - but you might PM him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast