Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: situation on a SWA plane that landed in Aruba

Aruba since 1979
    some were diverted to curacao and at least one to punta cana.

if the USA Feds prosecute, they can charge and prosecute them as terrorists.
    bet that part of the joke will not be too funny for them.

Quote Originally Posted by vallond View Post
    I saw a post on the Curacao International Airport FB page from a passenger whose flight was diverted to Curacao from Aruba, due to a bomb threat on a flight. There must have been a lot of flights diverted that way or to Bonaire as a result. In this day and age, Bomb threat jokes are not the type of jokes to make.

Pelican Pier at sunset with a bucket of Brights! Sunsets at Bunker Bar LG Smith Steakhouse, Paddock
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    my friend roughly translated the article:
    they have the pic of one of the women...it is confirmed that they are American. Alcohol involved was not mentioned, but bad joke was. it also talks about how 4 different entities have the right to press charges, Aruba, the airport, South West and the US government.
    Sounds like a whole lot of trouble for these troublemakers...

We agree. Prosecution is the answer. Then maybe it won't be so funny...
    TRIP 15 Nov-Dec 2018

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.

We were on a Southwest flight due to arrive at 1:40 pm that day. We were put into a holding pattern for about 45 minutes, told we were going to Curacao, and then re-routed to Punta Cana. Our pilot said there were 28 planes on the ground already in Curacao, which is why Southwest opted to send us to one of their destination airports. At least one other airline also diverted to Punta Cana.

We were in the plane on the tarmac there for more than 90 minutes, with no AC and no beverages. If you have had a similar experience, you know what that is like. The delays cost us what usually feels like a full first day of vacation. We arrived too late for beach time, too late to get a dinner reservation (Tamarijn), and the family was in bed by 8 pm due to exhaustion and dehydration. Not only
    should the person who thought this was funny face federal charges, they owe personal apologies to thousands of travelers and hundreds of airline crew.

Just wanted to add that the BEST thing about the delays was seeing Bully's smiling face waiting for us, telling us we can relax now.

Sorry to hear about your experience. It had to be very frustrating. Did the pilot offer the reason why you were being rerouted?

I, also, hope that this individual will face charges. Her actions were inexcusable.

Aruba since 1979
    welcome to the posting side of the aruba.com community forum.

a nightmare indeed.

swa as a gesture issued $100 SWA vouchers for future travel.
    did you and your family receive their's yet?

i am surprised that the SWA attendants did not offer bottled water as you were sitting on the tarmac..... or maybe the rules say that they must be seated and belted in.

once you got to aruba, how congested and busy was it at aruba immigration and luggage area?

Quote Originally Posted by mb_in_md View Post
    We were on a Southwest flight due to arrive at 1:40 pm that day. We were put into a holding pattern for about 45 minutes, told we were going to Curacao, and then re-routed to Punta Cana. Our pilot said there were 28 planes on the ground already in Curacao, which is why Southwest opted to send us to one of their destination airports. At least one other airline also diverted to Punta Cana.

We were in the plane on the tarmac there for more than 90 minutes, with no AC and no beverages. If you have had a similar experience, you know what that is like. The delays cost us what usually feels like a full first day of vacation. We arrived too late for beach time, too late to get a dinner reservation (Tamarijn), and the family was in bed by 8 pm due to exhaustion and dehydration. Not only
    should the person who thought this was funny face federal charges, they owe personal apologies to thousands of travelers and hundreds of airline crew.

We were first told, "due to an emergency on another airplane" which sounded like a landing for medical reasons. When the holding time extended, we were told, "due to emergency landing of another aircraft," which sounded like plane in distress. We were told 30 minutes of holding for an update from AUA. That was when I bought the texting package and tried to get messages to a friend at home to look for breaking news.

After 30+ minutes, we were told AUA would be closed indefinitely and that passenger assistance staff would meet us on the ground in Punta Cana to discuss our options. At that point, we were concerned that the worst had happened, and were VERY concerned for that flight, the airport staff and even Aruba as a country.

We were set to deplane in PC (literally out of our seats), to go to a secured area to be given food, drinks and have restroom and wifi access when we were told to hold because AUA had reopened. During the tarmac time in PC, passengers witn international roaming contacted friends/relatives in Aruba to get information. Our flight crew said they cannot discuss, "that word" (bomb). We sat in the hot airplane while the ground crew emptied restroom waste down the main aisle and over people's heads. I had some random dude standing in my lap so he could see out the open door.

Someone eventually brought two little (3-5 pound) bags of ice, but no cups. That meant no hydration for everyone until we got to our destination in AUA, hours and hours later. They did try a water service with the few reimagining cups, but snatched those away moments later when we cleared to taxi. Seriously... no cups, no beverages, hot airplane. Can the person responsible for the situation be held in similar conditions for a while?

Honestly, it would have helped to know the reality of the situation rather than to be left to our thoughts of why AUA was being closed indefinitely. We were concerned for people we know, and for the island. We have a family member with PTSD, and would have appreciated straightforward facts AND SWA following through on deplaning us in PC to make sure everyone could at least hydrate and stay cool. They promised what they felt we needed and did not follow through. Minimally, our flight crew should have been provided what they needed to keep everyone hydrated onboard, because we are still feeling drained from that two days later.

To be clear: the pilots on both SWA flights did the right thing to keep people safe. The flight crew did the best they could in a highly unusual situation within the guidelines they must follow and with inadequate support from the ground team.

Andrea--

The flight crew was up and socializing, but also keeping an eye on passengers who were struggling with health issues exacerbated by the conditions. The holding pattern was nauseating, followed by the heat.

No bottled water was offered or provided. See my above post about two tiny bags of ice.

I spoke with SWA yesterday. They said they were in the process of reaching out to people and to expect vouchers by mail in the next two weeks.

The airport had an outgoing flight in the crying room. Thank you to the mom & kids who waved excitedly as we deplaned. We know you had a rough afternoon, too, and it helped to see that you were happy to see us (and your plane--we had been told that they might have already sent a replacement plane for you, but I suppose that did not happen. I hope you had a fresh flight crew, cups and snacks onboard!)

There seemed to be one flight that had landed before us, with people still clearing immigration. No vendors, no Divi bag. The immigration line I was in closed when I got there. They had a long day, too.

Luggage was on the conveyor in world record time.

The roads in Aruba were quiet, but Bully confirmed they were closed earlier to keep people far from the airport. Apparently, they do drills for that sort of event from time to time.

So sorry you had to deal with that, all because of ignorance of young people. I hope you are able to relax and enjoy the rest of your trip. The whole experience of flying and airports is not fun on a good travel day, so I can't imagine this scenario. In my experience, Southwest customer service will do everything they can to make it up to you, but still takes away from your first day.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast