Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Southwest soon?

Southwest soon?

Southwest was recently granted the right to do international flying. Look for them to start transitioning the Air Tran flights over to their own name in the not too distant future.

Aruba since 1979
    Good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadd View Post
    Southwest was recently granted the right to do international flying. Look for them to start transitioning the Air Tran flights over to their own name in the not too distant future.

Boca Catalina Beach Marriott properties Mangel Halto for Snorkeling
    That would be great. They just took over the Air Tran routes in Rochester, NY, where we live. That should make the fares even more competitive.

will there be a difference in price ???? coz otherwise what difference will it make since they are the same company and you get the same benefits ???
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Aruba since 1979
    i am wondering if the name SOUTHWEST is a better aname and more recognizable than Air Tran?

when we flew Air Tran few times to Aruba a few years ago, i associated Air Tran w/ Valu Jet which had a horrendous reputation. Did Air Tran take over Value Jet?

I hope the pricing will continue to be competitive with whatever name they will use and my guess is that the name Air Tran will be phased out and SWA will be the name.

Chadd may know more and have different thoughts.

michelle/danadog....fair skies and wonderful breezes. safe travels!
    Quote Originally Posted by danadog56 View Post
    will there be a difference in price ???? coz otherwise what difference will it make since they are the same company and you get the same benefits ???

Boca Catalina Beach Marriott properties Mangel Halto for Snorkeling
    Southwest generally seems to lower fares when it moves into a new market. Air Tran was fine to travel with, put the additional fees added up (bags, picking a seat). WIth SW, there are no bag or seat fees.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsphr View Post
    Southwest generally seems to lower fares when it moves into a new market. Air Tran was fine to travel with, put the additional fees added up (bags, picking a seat). WIth SW, there are no bag or seat fees.
    Southwest isn't moving into a new market in this case, they are simply transferring the AirTran flights from one brand to another under the same corporate banner.

Southwest generates more revenue per passenger than other airlines in the US. More often than not, their fares are actually higher than the other major airlines, even after bag fees are factored in. The $59 and $79 fares are very few and far between today, unlike 5-10 (or more) years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    i am wondering if the name SOUTHWEST is a better aname and more recognizable than Air Tran?

when we flew Air Tran few times to Aruba a few years ago, i associated Air Tran w/ Valu Jet which had a horrendous reputation. Did Air Tran take over Value Jet?

I hope the pricing will continue to be competitive with whatever name they will use and my guess is that the name Air Tran will be phased out and SWA will be the name.

Chadd may know more and have different thoughts.

michelle/danadog....fair skies and wonderful breezes. safe travels!
    Actually, ValuJet bought AirTran and changed their name to AirTran to avoid the association with the fatal crash in the Everglades. If I remember correctly, the conditions that created that crash (oxygen generators jumbled into cardboard boxes) are now prohibited by the FAA. I think the overall effect will be an increase in fares for those that have been flying AirTran over the last couple years.

My husband has a companion pass with Southwest that allows me to fly free wherever he flies so this would be awesome news!!

as a fellow rochesterian, we need choices.......

Quote Originally Posted by ricky59 View Post
    as a fellow rochesterian, we need choices.......
    Don't Delta, United, US Airways and JetBlue offer connections to Aruba from there?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast