Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: spirit airlines to Aruba

Question spirit airlines to Aruba

Okay, so even though I fly usair exclusively to aruba I am going in april with a girlfriend and since she lives within an hour or so of Baltimore I decided to see what was the deal with spirit airlines.....got tickets for 336 roundtrip....did buy into the $9 fare club since it would save me $40 in fees for luggage (figured I would fly again to make up the extra 20 somewhere.....), anyway...it cost each of us an additional 40 round trip for bags (you pay for checked or carryon) but that still brings the fare to 376.....excellent.....
    so my question is....has anyone flown them and how reliable are they ????

Chadd, the first person I thought of was you when I booked these flights, figured you would probably be able to answer most of my questions....
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

As long as you do not expect any frills

I am not Chadd but in the past 3 months my brother has flown them 6 times round trip from Atlantic City to Fort Lauderdale. He has only paid over $125 round trip once ($179 rt at Christmas) and he has never had any problems. They are always on time, if not early.

He is flying them again this weekend to Fort Lauderdale and a $125 round trip fare is pretty darn nice with NJ high's hovering near freezing
    It costs us more money than that in gas in our car to drive to Florida from Georgia.

Let's face it, unless you are flying first class nowadays, isn't an airplane just a mode of transportation? Go and enjoy and think of that money you saved going towards your dives and Balashi's!

Thanks Arubalisa......makes me feel much better......My sis-in-law and niece have flown from Pittsburgh (Latrobe actually) to Ft. Lauderdale a few times and they insisted it was worth a try, but never told me about the bag fees...or the fees you have to pay if you want to choose your own seat...(I am neurotic and hate not getting my choice).
    But all that being said....you are right, I can use that money for other things, like diving as you said, or rum (teeheehee).....!!!!

BTW.....how did you get that license plate .............I AM SO JEALOUS !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by danadog56 View Post
    BTW.....how did you get that license plate .............I AM SO JEALOUS !!!!

A gift from a dear friend

Contact Andrea and she can give you the details, I believe she knows where the friend ordered it from.

Aruba since 1979
    the license plate can be ordered at SCOTT's BRATS on the beach in front of the Playa Linda.

talk to Leslie or Scott for details. or private message leslie known as LUVSUN on this forum

i believe they are priced at about $15

Lisa...did you forget that this is where they could be purchased?

license plates on aruba are not made by prisoners

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    Lisa...did you forget that this is where they could be purchased?
    Not sure I ever really knew? Maybe?

Sorry, I haven't been around much lately. Job, website, auditions and organizing a hockey tournament have kept me pretty busy for some reason.

Spirit is fine, as long as you know what you are getting into with fees and bags. The only free space, is under the seat in front of you. Using the overhead costs more than checked bags last time I looked too. Last time I heard they were in the process of having all of their seats set to a fixed recline, no movement either way. Some people don't like the ads on the tray tables, I really didn't care.

The staff at DCA and FLL were both polite to me and actually upgraded me to the big front seat on both flights. There is no difference in service, just a larger and more comfortable seat. If the difference is reasonable, it is worth the cost. The buy on board product was ok, nothing special, but I bought something on each leg simply because they upgraded me. I guess it was just inter-airline courtesy on their part.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadd View Post
    Sorry, I haven't been around much lately. Job, website, auditions and organizing a hockey tournament have kept me pretty busy for some reason.

Spirit is fine, as long as you know what you are getting into with fees and bags. The only free space, is under the seat in front of you. Using the overhead costs more than checked bags last time I looked too. Last time I heard they were in the process of having all of their seats set to a fixed recline, no movement either way. Some people don't like the ads on the tray tables, I really didn't care.

The staff at DCA and FLL were both polite to me and actually upgraded me to the big front seat on both flights. There is no difference in service, just a larger and more comfortable seat. If the difference is reasonable, it is worth the cost. The buy on board product was ok, nothing special, but I bought something on each leg simply because they upgraded me. I guess it was just inter-airline courtesy on their part.
    Thanks Chadd.....I actually checked in-detail about all the fees.....If you are not careful can end up paying the same price as a ticket on USAir...which is usually the airlines I use since 1...live near pit airport and 2...cheapest flights to Aruba....amazing, I know...I am not sure why they are the cheapest, but even airtran can't beat the prices for Aruba....sorry, I digress...

I did upgrade myself from Ft.Lauderdate to aua and then from aua back to Lauderdale to the bigger seats closer to front since I am a bit anal and hate not to pick my own seat.....I figured since I was flying with a girlfriend I would see what decent seats they would give me from baltimore to lauderdale and back......hopefully they will give me aisle seats....

Spirit Airlines

One other thing to keep in mind. Spirit only allows you a maximum of 40 lbs in your checked bag. This 10 lb difference could force you to take a second suitcase. As for carry ons, I usually don't pay and take it to the gate. If there is space you can take it on for no charge. If not they will charge you at the gate. They are VERY strick.

Also, I have had flights cancelled out of Atlantic City to Ft. Lauderdale twice. They cancel a flight on a whim it seems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast