Aruba Beach

Thread: Spirit Airlines- Plattsburgh flights to Aruba via Ft Lauderdale

Arrow Spirit Airlines- Plattsburgh flights to Aruba via Ft Lauderdale

"Spirit Airlines to launch Plattsburgh flights

Montreal Gazette
    October 28, 2010 3:21 PM

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/...006/story.html

Plattsburgh International Airport announced Thursday a new low-cost carrier service to the Caribbean region and Latin America.

Spirit Airlines will fly non-stop to Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and Myrtle Beach, S.C., to connect travellers to its flights to the Caribbean and Latin American destinations. The airport indicated these include the Bahamas, Aruba, Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic and Mexico.

Spirit will offer four non-stop flights per week from Plattsburgh to Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport starting Jan. 14, and four non-stop flights per week (on a seasonal basis) to Myrtle Beach starting May 5.

"This is powerful recognition of our status as Montreal's U.S. Airport and our ability to accommodate market options like late-night flights that can't be done in Montreal or Burlington," said Garry Douglas, president of the Plattsburgh-North County Chamber of Commerce.

"We expect a very strong response to this new service from both sides of the border," he added.

Plattsburgh is a one-hour drive south from Montreal via the Champlain-Lacolle border crossing. Allegiant Air flies to Fort Lauderdale, Orlando and St. Petersburg and Direct Air to Myrtle Beach and Punta Gorda/Fort Myers, Fla.

Plattsburgh International, owned and operated by the Clinton County government, is a multi-aviation centre of 5,000 acres created from the former Plattsburgh Air Force Base.

Copyright (c) The Montreal Gazette

Perhaps this will help some of our Canadian members.

Burlinton VT is huge with Quebec residents, probably more French than English spoken on the flights out of there.

Being a Plattsburgh NY native, I do know that Plattsburgh does not charge for parking at the airport, and that is a huge attraction to Canadians. (and everyone for that matter). That being said, my sister just booked a flight on Spirit from Plattsburgh to Ft. Lauderdale in April for $1 EACH WAY!!! Total with taxes, it's costing her $39 RT!! The downside? She takes off from Plattsburgh at 1:30 am. If I were to fly from Plattsburgh to Aruba, total travel time would be 24 hours. Not for me!!

I flew to Aruba on Spirit a few years back and they treated me very well. They throw out a bunch of super cheap fares for flights that have a lot of empty seats and you can get a great deal, especially if you are part of their $9 fare club. Just bear in mind that these guys are the airline that really started the add-on fee push here in the US. Last I heard they were still following through with their plan to charge a fee for carry on bags. Just like any airline, you need to be aware of the hidden costs of flying on them. From what I've seen in the specials they send via email, Aruba is not usually one of the extremely cheap tickets.