Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Stuck on Aruba??

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    149

    Stuck on Aruba??

    Hi all,

    Been really enjoying our two weeks here. We are to fly into Newark Monday night at 7:55PM. That looks highly unlikely. I am looking at options right now and it appears that Mon/Tues are probably not good. What would you do? Scoot out one day early tomorrow to beat storm, or hold til Wed/Thurs? United is allowing changes with no charge and hotels are plentiful.

    ** Please note that I am not looking for an excuse to extend my vacation.

    Looking for the smart approach and looking for some input.

    Thanks!

    Ted
    Next Aruba trip in

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Posts
    2,071
    if you can, i would opt to just decide to stay for a couple of extra days if the airlines aren't penalizing you. this way you won't be in limbo about whether your flight is leaving or not. you'll just enjoy your extra couple of days at peace and then when its time to leave, everything will be cleared up. its so much better than the guessing game, going to the airport to find out the flight's been cancelled, flying in turbulent weather. i'd rather stay the extra days and avoid the hassle that will surely be at the airports, even just the unknown anticipation of the storm.

  3. #3
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,925
    if you choose to extend, and you change your air reservations now, there may be a chance again that the new flight be cancelled as well and you will have to reschedule again.

    save ALL of your receipts because your additional lodging, car and food will be covered using your trip insurance.

    we had issues about 15 mos ago w/ a storm (irene?) that cancelled our flight aruba to miami. the flight was cancelled and we were able to book another 4 days later. all additional expenses were reimbursable by the insurance co.

    has your airline (united?) made a statement about waiving change fees yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by thadius65 View Post
    Hi all,

    Been really enjoying our two weeks here. We are to fly into Newark Monday night at 7:55PM. That looks highly unlikely. I am looking at options right now and it appears that Mon/Tues are probably not good. What would you do? Scoot out one day early tomorrow to beat storm, or hold til Wed/Thurs? United is allowing changes with no charge and hotels are plentiful.

    ** Please note that I am not looking for an excuse to extend my vacation.

    Looking for the smart approach and looking for some input.

    Thanks!

    Ted

  4. #4
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,925
    from UNited's site
    Hurricane Sandy - East Coast Airports:
    Allentown, PA (ABE)
    Albany, NY (ALB)
    Boston, MA (BOS)
    Burlington, VT (BTV)
    Buffalo, NY (BUF)
    Baltimore, MD (BWI)
    Charleston, SC (CHS)
    Charleston, WV (CRW)
    Erie, PA (ERI)
    Hartford, CT (BDL)
    Harrisburg, PA (MDT)
    Manchester, NH (MHT)
    Newark, NJ (EWR)
    New York, NY (JFK)
    New York, NY (LGA)
    Norfolk, VA (ORF)
    Philadelphia, PA (PHL)
    Pittsburgh, PA (PIT)
    Providence, RI (PVD)
    Portland, ME (PWM)
    Raleigh/Durham, NC (RDU)
    Richmond, VA (RIC)
    Roanoke, VA (ROA)
    Rochester, NY (ROC)
    Syracuse, NY (SYR)
    Washington, DC (DCA - Reagan National)
    Washington, DC (IAD - Dulles)
    White Plains, NY (HPN)
    Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, PA (AVP)

    Original Travel Dates: October 28, 2012 - October 31, 2012

    Final Travel must be completed by:
    End of Validity of ticket (one year from date of issue)​​
    Flight Changes:
    When rescheduled travel commences by November 4, 2012, change fees and fare differences will be waived.
    For all other dates and ticket uses, the change fee will be waived, but a difference in fare may apply.

    ​​​Refunds:
    Refunds are permitted only if your flight is cancelled or delayed at least 2 hours.
    Policies also apply to consolidator, internet tickets, and MileagePlus® award tickets.
    ​​​

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    149
    Yes, we are all good with no change fees. Just looking to see what others think best approach is with what is currently known with storm. So much over dramatization with these things, it is hard to know how to react.

    Also we don't have trip insurance. My dime.

    Thanks!
    Next Aruba trip in

  6. #6
    Senior Member danadog56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    everywhere and anywhere
    Posts
    2,798
    Since you have the luxury of no fees to change your ticket (bonus), plenty of hotels to choose from, I assume that the extra time is not a problem for work (????), then I would take advantage of the opportunity to stay a few days....I realize you will have to pay for the additional days but if it will not be a financial burden, and you love aruba....seems like a no-brainer to me !!!! Especially since if you do fly out and get stuck half way home you are then at the mercy of the airlines you are flying......I'd rather suffer in aruba then say a cheap hotel in atlanta or charlotte or philly...(no offense to anyone from those cities, just saying.....)
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    149
    We have changed flight from Mon to Thursday. Thanks for all the input. Few more days on this great island. So many restaurants and so little time!!
    Next Aruba trip in

  8. #8
    Senior Member SanNic44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Savaneta
    Posts
    1,162
    HOLD FAST!

    While away a couple of days by rum shop hopping, chowing down on copious amounts of Colombian food, and dodge the sunburn.

    Employment situation permitting of course.

    44
    Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

  9. #9
    Senior Member Arubalisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Any Aruba beach...
    Posts
    13,177
    To anyone in the predicament...Say want you want about hype, but as of this moment the threat of the storm is very real.

    Will your property at home be secure?
    Do you have someone who can secure it for you?
    Will it be a burden financially for not only extra nights hotel, but food and beverage?

    IF you are going to change your flight do it sooner rather than later.

    Should your flight be canceled you would essentially be rescheduled the same time as EVERYONE else.

    Think of it like everyone who gets canceled as flying on stand by.
    In other words if Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday flights are canceled, those ALREADY scheduled on Thursday will ALREADY have their seats.
    People from Mon., Tues. & Wed. do NOT have priority over those already ticketed for Thursday, Friday, Saturday etc.

    By rescheduling now, before the flights are canceled, you will have first dibs as to flight day and times what is still available.
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 10-27-2012 at 03:16 PM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    149
    My thoughts exactly Lisa! We are locked!
    Next Aruba trip in

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO