Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Sunday at the Airport

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Are you kidding? When they announced a two hour delay at first, my husband wanted to leave the airport and stay overnight again, lol. He's like let's go back and go on the beach. I'm like are you kidding, and do this again? Besides, I missed my babies (3 cats).

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    No, I'm not kidding. There are people who don't have the luxury of direct flights but depend on connection flights. I live in Texas and since 2010, there are not even flights going directly from Texas to Aruba (I still would need one connection flight, either from Houston or Dallas). In addition, those flights were only on weekends! Once I had booked a Sunday flight to Aruba and my flight connection to Houston was canceled out of the blue, there was a tornado in Houston the night before and the plane never made it to my airport in Central Texas. I was told to came back NEXT WEEK! But there was no way as I had booked my hotel, had arranged for a rental car and most important, had made arrangements to meet with friends in Aruba, one came as well from the US. I got to Aruba but lost a day (from my one week vacation), had to fly to Houston, spend the night in a hotel, fly to Newark the next morning, then to Aruba. Then my luggage didn't make it, I had to pick it up two days later at the airport.

As I mentioned, there are no flights from Texas to Aruba anymore. Many flights offers are now Dallas to Miami to Aruba or Dallas to Newark to Aruba. Not only close to 24 hours to get to Aruba but also the risk of delayed flights for whatever reason and the possibility of missing flight connections, meaning it could take two or three days to get to Aruba or home. IMO, that is when it can get stressful when people have to worry to miss their connection flights.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    I wasn't talking about connections. I was talking about my husband saw an opportunity to stay in Aruba. As a matter of fact, Jet Blue & Delta were going out of their way to help with connections or get people on direct flights. Two people we were at the bar with who had a connecting flight, thanks to Jet Blue, got on a direct flight. But when I said "Are you Kidding?", I wasn't referring to your post about connections or disparaging the problem people have. I was referring to people who were just mad at Aruba calling them names. And my husband was using it as an opportunity to get another day in Aruba. These people were getting mad at the people in Aruba basically calling them incompetent. It wasn't their fault. Truthfully, once the problem was fixed, they moved fast. Its the airline's job to help the people and I must say, with the exception of United, they did. Most people who had connecting flights that we dealt with got a new flight or a direct flight.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Thanks for clarifying.

Glad the airlines helped as much as possible.

As for the people calling Aruba incompetent: that's not nice. On the other hand, it's hard to tell if they were just arrogant or stressed out, who knows what their real-life situation is (illness etc). Just my thoughts.

Believe it or not, those with connecting flights immediately went & tried to get on other flights, etc. The ones who did the loudest complaining were those on direct flights.

We were in a situation last year where we had a connecting flight (AUA-JFK with a stop in MIA) that was cancelled due to storms in Miami. We were on Continental or United - whatever they were at that time. The Jet Blue agents worked so hard for us, I was really amazed. They got our entire party of 9 on a direct Jet Blue flight AUA to Newark. It was awesome
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

It's a shame people get stressed out for that reason, be grateful you weren't on that plane and that nobody was hurt! I was dropping my husband off at 1:30 for his jet blue flight at 4:40 and we saw the small plane and rescue vehicles and at that point I told my husband looks like you'll have a delay.. His response was ...now I'll have plenty of time to get thru customs and have time to get something to eat !!! I left him, went back to the beach and got his message about a 3 hr delay , yup he had plenty of time to eat !!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12