Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: SW Early Bird Check-in

SW Early Bird Check-in

This is our first experience flying with SW to AUA. We've used them to fly to cities in the U.S., but this is the first time with them out of the country. We had been using Airtran and were quite happy with their fares, assigned seats and service in general. When coming home last June there was a problem with our Airtran flight from Charlotte to Pittsburgh and we got switched to SW. When we got to the SW gate and the memories of the cattle call came flooding back, and I realized I didn't care for the SW system anymore.

That being said, we are using SW because of the fare, of course. I had been considering the early-bird check-in, which is an additional charge. Yesterday, I couldn't take it anymore. The thought of being group B or C, being in the back of the plane and possibly being separated was all I could take. I purchased the early-bird check-in, which I said I wouldn't do, which almost guarantees group A

Being seated apart I could handle, but when traveling to Aruba, I hate being in the back of the plane when we land, especially if there are inexperienced travelers who have stowed their bags BEHIND them (sometimes unavoidable, I know). I just want to get off the plane.

I just wondered if anyone else had used SW, paid for early-bird check-in and if they thought it was worth it

I absolutely think it is worth it. We have used it twice. The first time we got the exit row that only had 2 seats, and the second time we ended up with an empty middle seat.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Also wanted to note, the carry on baggage space doesn't seem to be as much of an issue with southwest because everyone gets 2 free bags.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Aruba since 1979
    have bought early bird for our travel on swa and recommend it.

last summer using swa to fly orlando to mancher nh, for some reason i only bought early bird for my husband when i booked.
    we checked in online 24 hrs prior to departure and we were both in A, he was just a couple ahead of me. (he was the one with the early bird)
    returning, similar ..we both got in group A and he was a few ahead of me in group A.

we were lucky.

I thought the same thing about overhead bins; probably plenty of space because of the free checked bags. I will only have a small tote, so I won't even be needing an overhead bin. Just need money, i.d., phone, swimsuit.

One advantage of flying SW is their super friendly flight attendants! My experience is if you check-in exactly 24 hours before departure, you usually get to board in A! Good luck and please let us know your experience flying out of the country with this airline.

Usually travel southwest due to the free bags and cheaper prices..
    Yes we always get the early bird... nice to know you will be one of the first to board.
    Remember ... handicap gets to board first, and then business.
    Last time we were A 7
    With early bird you can check in 36 hours before boarding.. not a minute earlier.. lol
    We are traveling next month to Aruba with them..
    Cathi

How would I check in 36 hours ahead when I am in Aruba? We are staying at ABC and will not have our laptop with us on vacation.i did pay for the early bird but I just assumed we didn't have to check in at all.

Aruba since 1979
    welcome to the aruba.com community forum

no you do not have to check in 24 hrs ahead of time if you are an early bird with swa
    many of the resorts have a business ctr or internet ctr for you to print you boarding passes, but for you quite unnecessary.
    when you get to the airport, you will get your boarding passes and check your bags

not to worry, you are good

and i thought that the early bird check in was 24 hrs not 36?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayshea View Post
    How would I check in 36 hours ahead when I am in Aruba? We are staying at ABC and will not have our laptop with us on vacation.i did pay for the early bird but I just assumed we didn't have to check in at all.

Thanks Andrea! I actually read this board just about daily and never realized I wasn't signed in-LOL. We are going back to Aruba for our 6th visit the end of April. So excited! I feel like a little kid on Christmas morning!the best part is we get to go back in November because my hubby has a big birthday this year and nixed the party for another visit to paradise! We usually fly jet blue but because their prices were so ridiculously high for a direct we decided to save some $$ and come home on SW.now I know to book our flights the first day they get released on jet blue for November- love the direct flight from Boston so we still have half the first day on the island!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast