Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Thank you westjet!

Yes this is a really good thing Michael and looking forward to leaving from Toronto as our drive home will be only 45 min....lol

Since 1980, and throughout the many changes, we still love going downtown in Oranjestad.
    Thanks for the information about departure times.

For us in Winnipeg, it will continue to be Winnipeg - Chicago (United)

Chicago - Miami (American)

Miami - Aruba (American)

The 9:15am departure means an o/night in T.O., which adds another $200 or $300 to the cost of the trip.

Despite the fact that we likely won't use the Westjet option, anything that gets more Canadians to Aruba is great in my opinion. More Jets fans, more Sens fans, more long-suffering Leaf fans. Aruba needs all of them!! Lol

Glenn

got to thinking about the times shown on their schedule. Something does not make sense to me. Even with the 1 hour time difference for Daylight savings, leaving at 9:15 and arriving at 4:05 ( with the adjustment for the 1 hour difference) means a 6 hr flight. Normally it is 41/2 to 5hrs max. Maybe WestJet are putting DC3's back into service

Since 1980, and throughout the many changes, we still love going downtown in Oranjestad.
    Maybe Mayor Bob has demanded that all departing flights make a couple of passes over the "safest city in the world" before being allowed to continue on to their destination. That would add an hour onto the flight to Aruba

Keep in mind, this observation is coming from someone who lives in Winnipeg, the murder capital of Canada for the fifth straight year.

As an aside, I see that Westjet, in the same announcement about year-round service to Aruba, will begin seasonal service to Curacao this winter.

Have a good one.

Glenn

I think the additional flight time has more to do with the plane taking off from the Gardiner Expressway at 9:15 am than with daylight savings time :-)

All kidding aside, isn't it just GREAT to know we finally have a choice for direct flights to our paradise than our "old red" national airline who thinks it is just proper to charge $1,800 round trip to the average Canadian . . .

Aruba since 1979

More choice of departure dates/times + lower airfares through increased competition (that's the theory anyway)= more Canadians to Aruba. Wouldn't it be great to be in a bar in Aruba in mid-January, and the place is packed with Canadians watching the Jets or Senators throttle the Leafs!

Canadians like us have done our part in telling others here at home about the place, and now the airlines have responded.

And mmattalo, you are absolutely right. I know all about supply and demand, but I always thought AC's airfares to Aruba were outrageous. Two years ago a colleague of mine here at work flew from Winnipeg to New Zealand for less than what we used to pay to go to Aruba through Toronto.

Everybody have a super day.

Glenn

Aruba since 1979
    one of the things i always found amazing was the "tax" that you fine folks in canada pay on airfares YIKES
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    More choice of departure dates/times + lower airfares through increased competition (that's the theory anyway)= more Canadians to Aruba. Wouldn't it be great to be in a bar in Aruba in mid-January, and the place is packed with Canadians watching the Jets or Senators throttle the Leafs!

Canadians like us have done our part in telling others here at home about the place, and now the airlines have responded.

And mmattalo, you are absolutely right. I know all about supply and demand, but I always thought AC's airfares to Aruba were outrageous. Two years ago a colleague of mine here at work flew from Winnipeg to New Zealand for less than what we used to pay to go to Aruba through Toronto.

Everybody have a super day.

Glenn

hurray and yet waahh

So excited to see West jet stepping up the services to Aruba, and the price is certainly more affordable the the red and white!!! but sad for me as i'm disappointed that we booked sunwing for our Nov trip and now WJ flies there. More Canuks to Aruba is a great thing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    one of the things i always found amazing was the "tax" that you fine folks in canada pay on airfares YIKES
    Hi Andrea

Absolutely, the taxes we pay on airfares in Canada are, in a word, punishing. Advertised seat sale prices in Canada are often meaningless, because the taxes and fees can double the price.

Glenn

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast