Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Thoughts on american Airlines...

Question Thoughts on american Airlines...

In the past we have always flown USAir or Delta from Norfolk, VA to Aruba but this year American Airlines has much better prices for our August trip. I have have not flown American in a very long time... anyone have any recent experience withe them? If we go with American we wil connect in Miami... another unfamiliar airport to me... are flights generally on time?

Aruba since 1979
    we fly american tampa or orlando thru miami and then on to aruba.

we find the flights ok and the connection easy.
    miami airport is big but they do have the train/shuttle thing that runs frequently

the flights running on time or not are weather related.

our august fight was delayed (30 min) due to weather from wherever the miami flight originated from. our december flight was on time.

best bet is to do the earlier miami to aruba flight.

my chief complaint with the miami airport are the prices at some of the food places AND lack of elec outlets near seating/gate areas.

air tran is also our other option and we have found them good too.

Quote Originally Posted by dipeblnd View Post
    In the past we have always flown USAir or Delta from Norfolk, VA to Aruba but this year American Airlines has much better prices for our August trip. I have have not flown American in a very long time... anyone have any recent experience withe them? If we go with American we wil connect in Miami... another unfamiliar airport to me... are flights generally on time?

I would check out air tran as well. (i am currently on the flight right now from atlanta to aruba on air tran!!) i have flown the miami/aruba flight many times. the only thing i don't like about it that they only have 2 flights out and if you can't connect to the morning flight you can't get to aruba until almost midnight on the second flight. Otherwise, never had any problems going thru miami on america.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Quote Originally Posted by dipeblnd View Post
    We recently did the boston to miami to aruba flight. BOY, that airport in Miami is big. Be aware that you have to take trams to and from terminal hubs.
    Little or nothing to eat in the Am A wing that was of interest to me.
    The connection went without a hitch, however, the mere size of the place blew me away. I can't say we had any problems with the airline.

Thanks guys this is reassuring... I am used to traveling to Atlanta for work so the airport doesn't bother me... but getting to Aruba on time is a big deal! I cherish every second on the island!

I flew with American yesterday. The same route I've been taking for years now: PHL-MIA-AUA. If you want to be on time to the island, take the earlier flight, departs around 11:10 or so, from MIA to AUA. The later flight is much less likely to be on time as things stack up in the afternoon thunderstorms around Miami.

As for American's service. I've always been treated very well and yesterday was the perfect example, great cabin staff, on-time flights. Are the planes a little older on this route, yes, especially compared to the trans-Atlantic runs. Still, the people make the difference, and I've found the cabin staff and pilots to be much more interested in taking care of things aboard American.

Just my experience, yours may be different.

Bon dia.

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

great advice on traveling earlier to avoid delays, it's a huge factor when connecting.

Aruba since 1979
    especially during the summer out of miami.
    here in FLA, we typically get thundershowers daily between 4 - 7 pm.
    when those storms are present, everything gets delayed.

MIA to Aruba isn't a bad flight. Me and my husband flew it in December for our honeymoon and everything was great! We even got there early

Aruba since 1979
    welcome to the aruba.com community forum danielle.
    Quote Originally Posted by daniellemueller825 View Post
    MIA to Aruba isn't a bad flight. Me and my husband flew it in December for our honeymoon and everything was great! We even got there early

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast