Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Thursdays @ Airport

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything

Thursdays @ Airport

Has anyone or does anyone regularly fly home on Thursdays from Aruba? I'm curious what the airport is like for a Thursday afternoon flight. We usually come home on a Sunday and well, you can imagine. But I was curious what Thursdays were like. Our flight I think is like 3 o'clock. Thanks

We often fly home on Thursdays. I can think of only once that we had a backup. Our flights are generally at 2;15. We fly JetBlue,get to the airport 2 1/2 to 3 hours prior and grab a bite at the Dutch Bar to kill time.

Aruba since 1979
    yup
    we are usually thurs or friday departures

airport is pretty quiet compared to a weekend.

however, it is still a good idea to be there when your airline recommends.....(as well as the AAA) 3 hours prior.

Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    Has anyone or does anyone regularly fly home on Thursdays from Aruba? I'm curious what the airport is like for a Thursday afternoon flight. We usually come home on a Sunday and well, you can imagine. But I was curious what Thursdays were like. Our flight I think is like 3 o'clock. Thanks

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Thanks Peg & Andrea.

We just flew home yesterday (Wed.) Our flight was at 3:40pm. Got to the airport after dropping off the rental car at 1:30pm. From check-in to our gate it was about 20-25 minutes total. No lines (maybe a couple of people in front of you) anywhere. Smooth sailing. We were flying first class so we had the priority check-in line at the airline counter but that still only saved us about 5 minutes since the regular line was not that long at all. Even U.S. Customs was a breeze - barely a wait.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --
    36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

We don't check luggage and do fly first class and have the global entry. I'm thinking if we got there by one, we would have more than enough time.

2 hours is plenty of time during off season and mid-week. The airport seemed "dead" yesterday.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --
    36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Thanks Amy, we will be coming back in Dec, the 15th, I think, still considered low season.

We got through quickly even on a Sunday on our last visit, but I can't imagine us ever not giving ourselves the full 3 hours. I don't want to ruin my relaxation with a rushed feeling, not worth an extra hour at the resort to me. I'd rather be sitting at the gate reflecting on my trip, than taking a chance of getting caught in an unexpected delay. Anything can happen - traffic getting to the airport, long lines at the airline counters, a security issue, a couple customs officers are out sick, any unexpected delay. I will never forget the time in the US Security line when we had a good 30 minutes of Mrs. Running Late reminding Mr. Running Late that she told him so and she knew it was going to be a lot of lines and its his fault if they miss the plane for not getting there early enough. It went on and on and on. I felt a little bad for him, but even worse for us for having to listen to her constant nagging. We always seem to be surrounded by complaining people in the airport, always.

I know everyone feels differently, and I am posting this more for first timers, and not those who've been through the process enough to have their own comfort zone.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

We always arrive at least 3 hours ahead of time, my preferable arrival time is 3.5 hours. This amount of time allows me to relax no matter what the lines are looking like. I hate being late for things so things works for me. I now have a lounge pass of some type thru my Ritz card that allows me free access the lounges at the airport. The one in Aruba has great AC pumping, free mixed drinks, wine, small sandwiches and chips all free. Its a nice way to relax, just don't fall asleep in the comfy chairs, lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast