Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trouble finding a flight

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    the only planes that i won't fly are the commuter props
    Statistically speaking, some of them are among the safest in the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadd View Post
    Statistically speaking, some of them are among the safest in the industry.
    Out of curiousity , since this has become an airline safety thread, what about the Bombadiers and Embraer's? How safe are they in comparison? I personally like them , but it does dawn on me, that the pilots of these two types of jets may have less experience than the "jumbo jet" or whatever you call them, pilots.

Aruba since 1979
    yup chadd that is whay i have been told.
    it is a "mental thing" that i cannot get beyond.

i wish i could get beyond it as august airport has the usairways express commuter props to places where i want to go !

chadd what airline do you work for and what is your opinion on all of the airlines that fly to aruba?

I'd rather not mention my employer publicly as I'd hate for anyone to hold my opinions or behavior against them.

I haven't had any problems with the airlines that fly into Aruba, though I haven't flown on all of the airlines. A lot of people complain about Spirit but they treated me very well. That could just have been professional courtesy and not standard customer service though.

The regional jets and turboprops do tend to have pilots with less experience than their mainline counterparts in many cases, as that is often where pilots build their hours for the better paying jobs. Then again, you also have Northwest (now owned by Delta) flying DC9s that were built in the 60s or 70s.

Most recent incidents seem to have happened early in the morning or late at night. Fatigue is the biggest safety problem in the industry and that isn't limited to any particular carrier.

Aruba since 1979
    totally understand your request for privacy.

we all have our likes and dislikes

i remember years ago, we took a charter flight to aruba as the fare was real cheap.
    my husband had half a seat belt.
    flight attendant was horrified, and gave my husband his "jumpseat" thingy with the harness and he took the half of seat belt. i forget the name............something like allegra or allegro air?
    but, there were free drinks.............or so they told me.
    i was sound asleep from my xanax.

Why won't you use US Air I booked direct flights both way's $374.00 each from Aug. 2nd to Aug. 16th I have had good luck with them I have had some bad luck with American.
    Next Aruba trip in

Rob o

still laughing at that # 2, got to love it and I couldn't agree with you more

[quote=Andrea J.;140192]totally understand your request for privacy.

forget the name............something like allegra or allegro air?

Andrea, I took the same airline....it was horrible. We had to stop in Philly so the plane was only 1/2 full. Anyhow, one of the flight attendants asked if I would move to the other side of the plane to "balance" it. I was horrified!!!! At the time I was only about 140 lbs so I wasn't large but he wanted my then fiancÚ to stay where he was. Now, I am terrified of flying...the first sign of turbulence can send me into a panic attack so needless to say that did not sit well. That was my first ever trip to Aruba and after he said that I told my fiancÚ I was getting off the plane because I was so scared. Thankfully he calmed me down. However, the plane had seats from Continental, drink cart was from TWA etc. On the return trip they asked some people to get off and take another flight because the plane was "too heavy." Never again with that airline!

Chad, are you a pilot?

An aircraft never needs to be balance from side to side, though it may need to be balanced from front to to back if it is not full. As for the aircraft being too heavy, it could have been a couple different things. If a lot of bags were on board, it could have exceeded the maximum takeoff weight or the maximum gross weight. That isn't very common and likely was due to the aircraft carrying a full fuel load, in addition to a full load of passengers and bags.

Charter airlines are much more common in Europe than in the US. It's a tougher industry here, much more difficult to turn a profit.
    Last edited by Chadd; 05-27-2009 at 12:24 PM.

i decided this time to take spirit air to aruba...the only thing i did not like they only fly in and out on saturdays....but a quick flight but usually they have layovers in miami

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast