Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: TSA implementing 'enhanced security measures' on international flights

TSA implementing 'enhanced security measures' on international flights

TSA implementing 'enhanced security measures' on international flights

By Keith Laing - 07/02/14 03:34 PM EDT

"The Department of Homeland Security has directed the Transportation Security Administration to implement "enhanced security measures" at overseas airports where planes fly directly to the United States amid concerns about potential summer terrorist attacks.

The announcement comes after military officials raised concerns about al Qaeda affiliated foreign fighters using Western passports to evade terrorist watch lists.

Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson said the agency would take steps to minimize the inconvenience to airline passengers as the busy Fourth of July holiday weekend approaches.

"DHS continually assesses the global threat environment and reevaluates the measures we take to promote aviation security," Johnson said in a statement. "As part of this ongoing process, I have directed TSA to implement enhanced security measures in the coming days at certain overseas airports with direct flights to the United States. We will work to ensure these necessary steps pose as few disruptions to travelers as possible."
    Air Force Gen. Philip Breedlove said earlier this week that he had "great concern" about a possible terrorist attack emanating in Syria that could involve an American or European-passport holder.

"The flow from western Iraq and eastern Syria into Europe is a very distinct problem, and we are working to address that flow," Breedlove said.

Johnson said Wednesday that the Homeland Security department was "sharing recent and relevant information with our foreign allies and are consulting the aviation industry.

"These communications are an important part of our commitment to providing our security partners with situational awareness about the current environment and protecting the traveling public," he said. "Aviation security includes a number of measures, both seen and unseen, informed by an evolving environment. As always, we will continue to adjust security measures to promote aviation security without unnecessary disruptions to the traveling public." "

Aruba since 1979
    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/u-...rports-n149186

I guess this is the thread i will add this too. Yesterday the TSA implemented new "electronics screening" http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/u-...rports-n149186 Make sure all devices are charged.

While listening to the news about this it mentioned that the screenings will be random.....IMO (humbly submitted)...I think they should just make u turn everything on as you go through the "fuzz busters". Since we have to take computers out anyway, I say just take it all out. Let it be seen as on....save us being on an airplane with a bomb in someone's cell phone that wasn't on the "random check ".....
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Agreed. Much easier than pulling a "random" few out and having them complaining about it! Just make the rule and we'll all have to deal with it.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Aruba since 1979
    agree.

imagine that you are pulled from the line and asked to turn on your devices, only to find that the cell phone is dead.
    you are given a choice...toss the phone or go charge it and then get another flight.
    then....the person behind you in line does not have to power up his/her devices and sails right through.
    hmmm what's wrong with that picture?

again, as i have been saying for a long time..... the security procedures should be the same as EL AL

Will this affect those of us when leaving Aruba?

Aruba since 1979
    unknown walt.
    it is supposedly for international flights going to the usa.
    and it is random

so, a crapshoot?
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    Will this affect those of us when leaving Aruba?

I hope someone travelling back soon will tell us if they are doing this screening in Aruba. CNN reports that it is primarily for European and Middle East airports, so maybe Aruba will be somewhat exempt. Can you imagine how that could affect airport times? You'll have to get to the airport a day before your flight.

I wonder if TSA still considers it an international flight being that USA agents are at QB airport.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Interesting questions.....I always make sure my cell is charged before heading to the airport so that when I get back on US soil I can call and check with family about being picked up at airport, same goes for tablet (of course I charge that to play games on flight home).....I think they (TSA) are concerned with flights originating from airports that may be easy access for terror groups, which is why they are focusing on European airports. Of course that is not to say Aruba is exempt from this new policy, but I can't imagine someone planning on bringing back a bomb after a week or two of vacation on the coolest island in the Caribbean....
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast