Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: United Airlines changed our Aruba Plans

United Airlines changed our Aruba Plans

Even with 7 months planning, and 5 years of same flight itinerary we hit a big bump in the road. Had to book even earlier this year to finally get to use my UnIted miles. Came home yesterday to find that United just cancelled our 5:30 Sunday flight out of Aruba. They combined the 2:30 and 5:30 Aruba to Newark to just a single 3:50 flight out. The 5:30 flight out was always booked solid last 5 years, so we never even thought of this scenario. They also took away the aisle seat I had reserved on the 5:30 fligbt and i had to choose again. Now only 2 aisle seats left, the last 2 seat in the back of plane right next to bathroom door. Im a little chunky so that aisle seat really helps out. Also flight went from $600 to a $1,071. That screwed up my girlfriend who was waiting to book flight. Without last flight out, the usual drop in price was a no go, that she usually gets about 4 months out for the past 5 years. They stated they are not going to add another flight back, due to to lack of bookings on the 3 Sunday flights out. Now if I wanted to change my flight a week ago, they would have charged me a $200 fee and a milage penalty for changing. They change, and no consequences. Several other bumps in the road came up because of this change but you get the idea. Girlfriend had to bite the $1,071 bullet so we could fly together, that's part of the fun, flying together. I used United miles so I'm locked in.
    I called United and they were apologetic, but the flight was cancelled. Its written somewhere in the rules ( that they wrote) that we have no rights if flight is cancelled. They got us over a barrel because we love Aruba and time off from work, dog sitter, hotel and miles as well as many other factors come into the equation.
    I calmly told a supervisor my woes and he offered that United could give us 2 aisle seats across from each other near front of plane in economy plus for our inconvenience. We took the gift, because not going to beautiful Aruba was out of the question. So, to sum it up, even with 7 months planning, the best of plans can change. All will be forgotten when we are back on Eagle Beach swimming in that torquois blue water. Sorry, just venting- guys.
    Sean and Susan

Glad you were able to get the aisle seat you wanted

We had a very bad experience with both United and Chase customer service over a credit for using the miles card - it didn't turn out as well as your scenario - ended with me yelling and cancelling the card.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

GRRRRRRR. The same thing happened with us on Air Canada a few years ago - we booked months in advance and then AC decided that they weren't going to do the Saturday and Sunday flights anymore... just the Sunday... we then we had to scramble to move the villa reservation, re-book the seats, dog sitter, house sitter, car rental etc.

And Air Canada was completely indifferent - the guy I was dealing with - you could hear him rolling his eyes over the phone.

Air Canada also cancelled a flight I was booked on from Berlin a few years ago and tried to punt me to an economy seat on Lufthansa - I was booked in business class (it was a business trip). And, yet again, another indifferent AC employee, said, "Do you want to get home or not?" I completely lost it on him. Hung up the phone and called Lufthansa - they remedied the whole thing (there's that German efficiency!) and said, "You're not the first passenger that's told us about trouble with Air Canada." What did AC offer up as compensation? A travel voucher for $100 for a future flight. I won't get into the language I used at either of these junctures.

I'll take any other airline if there's an alternative but, frankly, most everybody has one of these stories regardless of which airline they fly. The industry's a mess.

When are the tele-porters going to be ready?!?

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    We have United Mileage Plus also. We absolutely HATE it! They rarely have any flights available when we want to travel, without having to take a 17 - 22 hr. flight time. We can usually get to Aruba in about 8 hrs. on other flights. I am trying to book flights right now, and it is horrible. Delta is about $1,000.00 one way for the two of us. Southwest canceled all flights from our area, so we have no low cost providers any more, so there is no competition. Right now, the only thing that looks even reasonable is coming back on United a day early, and we REALLY don't want to lose a day in Aruba! I feel your pain. They have also moved our seats before, to very undesirable seats, and have changed our flights numerous times.

Love the title of the article:

http://www.bloomberg.com/features/20...nes-struggles/

An interesting read.

Aruba since 1979
    venting is good.
    it lets others know to "be aware"

has united always been problematic OR is since they merged with continental?

Quote Originally Posted by crimms View Post
    Even with 7 months planning, and 5 years of same flight itinerary we hit a big bump in the road. Had to book even earlier this year to finally get to use my UnIted miles. Came home yesterday to find that United just cancelled our 5:30 Sunday flight out of Aruba. They combined the 2:30 and 5:30 Aruba to Newark to just a single 3:50 flight out. The 5:30 flight out was always booked solid last 5 years, so we never even thought of this scenario. They also took away the aisle seat I had reserved on the 5:30 fligbt and i had to choose again. Now only 2 aisle seats left, the last 2 seat in the back of plane right next to bathroom door. Im a little chunky so that aisle seat really helps out. Also flight went from $600 to a $1,071. That screwed up my girlfriend who was waiting to book flight. Without last flight out, the usual drop in price was a no go, that she usually gets about 4 months out for the past 5 years. They stated they are not going to add another flight back, due to to lack of bookings on the 3 Sunday flights out. Now if I wanted to change my flight a week ago, they would have charged me a $200 fee and a milage penalty for changing. They change, and no consequences. Several other bumps in the road came up because of this change but you get the idea. Girlfriend had to bite the $1,071 bullet so we could fly together, that's part of the fun, flying together. I used United miles so I'm locked in.
    I called United and they were apologetic, but the flight was cancelled. Its written somewhere in the rules ( that they wrote) that we have no rights if flight is cancelled. They got us over a barrel because we love Aruba and time off from work, dog sitter, hotel and miles as well as many other factors come into the equation.
    I calmly told a supervisor my woes and he offered that United could give us 2 aisle seats across from each other near front of plane in economy plus for our inconvenience. We took the gift, because not going to beautiful Aruba was out of the question. So, to sum it up, even with 7 months planning, the best of plans can change. All will be forgotten when we are back on Eagle Beach swimming in that torquois blue water. Sorry, just venting- guys.
    Sean and Susan

Aruba since 1979
    wow...interesting to say the least!
    thanks for the link

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    Love the title of the article:

http://www.bloomberg.com/features/20...nes-struggles/

An interesting read.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    I can't answer if they have always been problematic. all i know is Continental was a great airline, never ever a problem. United is run by idiots. They are probably going to run for president next, that would be par for the course.

Loved Continental. Never had a problem. United, on the other hand....

GREAT title to that article and even better first paragraph! Holy!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Back in the day, when I was working in the US (yes, legally, President Trump)... American, Continental and Delta were all fantastic.

All good things come to an end.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast