Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: United Airlines Cracks Down On Oversized Carry-Ons

Exclamation United Airlines Cracks Down On Oversized Carry-Ons

United Airlines Cracks Down On Oversized Carry-On Bags http://nation.time.com/2014/03/04/un...carry-on-bags/

"United Airlines is taking a tough stance on oversized carry-on bags.

The Chicago-based airline’s policies haven’t changed, but the company is enforcing its existing rules much more strictly.

United has installed bag-sizers at most airports and emailed its frequent fliers to remind them of carry-on size rules. As of Saturday, any passenger whose bag exceeds the dimensions for carry-ons will be sent back to ticket counters to pay a $25 fee, the Associated Press reports.

The carry-on size limits of 9 inches by 14 inches by 22 inches or smaller have been in place for years, but airlines haven’t consistently enforced them. A 2008 rule that charged passengers $25 to check a suitcase encouraged many passengers to bring their bags into overstuffed airplane cabins."

Full Associated Press Story- Carry-on crackdown: United enforces bag size limit

United Carry-on baggage Policy http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/trav...eCarry-On.aspx

It is going to be unpopular with some, but imo, good for United. I can only imagine all the poor slobs who have been paying the checked baggage fee only to arrive at the gate and be told that the flight is full, there won’t be enough room for everyone’s carry-ons, and they will check your bags for free.

I was reading this earlier, and I think its great. We try our best to follow the rules and stay within limits, so it is annoying to see people getting on the plane with a duffle bag sized "purse", a laptop bag, a large overstuffed carryon, and a coat that they are putting in the overhead. I think its great when the flight attendants call them out on it. When you are rushing to make a connection sometimes every minute counts. We often end up paying extra for the seats close to the front because it takes longer for people to get all of their extras out of the bins and then when they are full and people aren't able to put their bags over their seats it becomes even more of a pain for everyone.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

playa linda, aruba beach club, wacky wahoos, driftwood,french steakhouse, any happy hour
    about time !! hopefully all airlines will follow suit (case).

Aruba since 1979
    well said traceyd
    it is amazing at the size of the stuff that sneaks thru as carryon.

we were on a flight in sept on SWA where a woman had a large stuffed animal (Mickey) and it was too large for the overhead.
    it really messed up the seating process and people were greatly annoyed.
    it was quite an interesting chain of events as she balked about it going under the plane in cargo…bottom line is Mickey ended up sitting in a middle seat beside the woman.
    some of the nonsense is just beyond belief.
    forum member chadd is an employee of usairways/aa and i bet he has some very interesting comments of carry on stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    I was reading this earlier, and I think its great. We try our best to follow the rules and stay within limits, so it is annoying to see people getting on the plane with a duffle bag sized "purse", a laptop bag, a large overstuffed carryon, and a coat that they are putting in the overhead. I think its great when the flight attendants call them out on it. When you are rushing to make a connection sometimes every minute counts. We often end up paying extra for the seats close to the front because it takes longer for people to get all of their extras out of the bins and then when they are full and people aren't able to put their bags over their seats it becomes even more of a pain for everyone.

I travel for business, and it is irritating the amount of people that try to stuff all of their worldly possessions in that little overhead bin. I am glad United stepped up to the plate and will start monitoring it. I hope every airline has the guts to follow suit. Of course this wouldn't be a problem if they would get rid of the luggage extortion, I mean baggage fee, in the first place.

The last time we flew, a college age girl was trying to "carry-on" two small suitcases. Neither of which fit in the overhead bin nor down the aisle. I was wondering how she even got as far as she did with both of them. Unfortunately, take-off was delayed while she argued with the flight attendants about putting them with checked luggage. She even cried saying she was a first time flier. My hubby (who is not as patient as I), 19 yo daughter and 17 yo son were very annoyed and now make a game of finding the "rookie" fliers (especially those who wear boots that tie and buckle trying to go through security) when we are awaiting flights at airports ).

waltVB is spot on. Airlines have created this problem by charging such large amounts for a piece of luggage. I'm not sure how many airlines do it, but Allegiant Air, which services smaller markets, also charges for carry-ons.

My sister can travel from Chicago to Hawaii with one carry-on. I'm going to try to accomplish that feat this June when we head to Aruba. Hahahahaha

My pet peeve is the people who put their carry-on luggage at the front of the plane when they are sitting at the back of the plane!!!! I see that so often and then the people who are sitting by those seats can't find a place for their carry on. Their luggage is placed in another location, which causes major headaches when they are trying to deplane (especially when you have a connection to catch). The people just don't want to have to bring it to the back of the plane. AND THE FLIGHT ATTENDANTS DON'T STOP THEM!!!

With regards to the topic at hand, once baggage fees started, more people are bringing more carry on the plane to avoid the fees. Please, airlines don't start charging for this too!! Many times the airlines will announce that they will put carry on for no charge when they have a full plane and worry about finding space for the carry on and I think some wait for this. Personally, we always travel with a carry on with some clothing in case our luggage is lost and we have some clothing until bag is found.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    I don't fly United but I can tell you that South West, American and Delta all enforce this rule. They have had the carry on size check thingies for a very long time. I see people arguing with the gate attendants about their large carry-ons all the time. They get very angry when they are forced to check it. Its not that hard to find a carry-on that's the right size.

Pelican Pier at sunset with a bucket of Brights! Sunsets at Bunker Bar LG Smith Steakhouse, Paddock
    Boy o Boy what a hot topic! I too agree with all of you and like TraceyD pay extra $$$$ just to be able to board USAIR in Zone 2. If I do not pay extra for my choice seats and Zone 2 boarding it is possible that by the time we board all the overhead space will be taken up by the people who feel they do not need to obey the rules! I do blame this on the airlines for charging for checked bags, but in reality they should be enforcing the carry-on rules and if someone has more than allowed or oversized they need to be charged like the rest of us honest folks. Bottom line, some people are just too darn cheap!!!! I realize some people may be hurting moneywise, but I do believe there are too many cheap and ignorant people out there (trust me I know some) who don't mind spending $$$$ on silly things so why not spend it on bags and start playing by the rules the rest of us do

It looks like everyone who commented is in agreement....I am too. To state my opinion in a not so eloquent manner....some flyers are pigs and care only about themselves. I wish all airlines would strictly, consistently and equitably enforce the rules related to carry-ons.
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast