Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: United Airlines Cracks Down On Oversized Carry-Ons

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    I only take carry on for our two weeks. Its not a matter of paying or being cheap, I just do not like to wait for luggage or guess whether it will get there with me. I also always upgrade to first class so I would not be paying for the luggage fees anyway. I actually went and checked the size of our carry on and it is well within the 9x14x22. I do truly feel a lot of the problems were created by the airlines trying to nickel and dime everyone. I truly believe they created this mess. There was never a problem before they started as Walt said charging "luggage extortion fees", lol, (great analogy, Walt).

Good for United! I always wondered how people got away with those carry ons and they delay everyone trying to get to their seats because they try to squeeze it in the overhead bin.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    it always did annoy me as someone said on one of the posts about people putting their carry on at the beginning of the plane. I would get on the plane and be like the 20th person and my bin would be filled. I use to think How is that Possible?

Also, I wouldn't throw a party for United. Nothing they do is for the benefit of the customers. They are probably just realizing the money they are losing because so many people are bringing a carry on so they figure most people will either now bring a suitcase and pay the fee or if the airline is lucky, the carry on will at least get them another $25 because it doesn't fit. They are not now or ever thinking of the customer trying to get on the plane. They are thinking of the bottom line, which of course is "show me the money".....

I am always amazed that some folks travel for one or more weeks to Aruba and can manage to do so with only a carry-on. I am lucky to fit what I bring into a carry-on AND one checked bag!

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Quote Originally Posted by rpumpire View Post
    I am always amazed that some folks travel for one or more weeks to Aruba and can manage to do so with only a carry-on. I am lucky to fit what I bring into a carry-on AND one checked bag!
    On our first trip to Aruba, my wife had 2 checked bags and 2 carryons, I had 1 checked bag. We were there for 7 days. We are down to a total of 2 checked bags and 1 carryon for 11 days to 2 weeks. It would be 1 checked bag if it weren't for the snorkel gear. Then, of course, there are my golf clubs, which don't count.

Having been subjected to travellers who try to bring pretty much all their personal belongings onboard a flight, I wholeheartedly agree with the stand United is taking. However . . . as someone who works with the biggest brands on customer experience design, there is a systemic root cause issue with this - first it is called "checked baggage fees" which drives customer behavior to . . . well, NOT check baggage and second it is having to wait for your bag around the baggage carousel for endless period of time like some psychological experiment . . . not to mention waiting and then finding out after 30 minutes your bags decided to stay behind! With technology nowadays, the airline should know your bag never made the flight and be able to tell you while onboard or when you arrive . . . that would save ALL the counter lineups and frustration . . . not to mention drama!

Quote Originally Posted by mmattalo View Post
    Having been subjected to travellers who try to bring pretty much all their personal belongings onboard a flight, I wholeheartedly agree with the stand United is taking. However . . . as someone who works with the biggest brands on customer experience design, there is a systemic root cause issue with this - first it is called "checked baggage fees" which drives customer behavior to . . . well, NOT check baggage and second it is having to wait for your bag around the baggage carousel for endless period of time like some psychological experiment . . . not to mention waiting and then finding out after 30 minutes your bags decided to stay behind! With technology nowadays, the airline should know your bag never made the flight and be able to tell you while onboard or when you arrive . . . that would save ALL the counter lineups and frustration . . . not to mention drama!

Unfortunately Michael, this is too logical an approach. The technology is there but the will to implement it is not. Airlines continue to grow in size and capacity based upon demand. Those creating the demand do not demand enough of the airlines. If the behaviour of the airline is what you experienced from your doctor, then I wonder.....would you stay with that doctor

unfortunately, aquaman, its pretty much the only game in town for us. yes, I could fly an airline that makes stop overs but seriously, when you have a choice of going non-stop as opposed to adding an additional 8 hours to your trip for a stop over to make a point to a company who could care less, its like they say, I'm cutting my nose off to spite my face. I keep hoping other airlines will fly out of Newark non-stop to Aruba. For us to go to Kennedy or LaGuardia with traffic takes longer than flying to Florida. Its not worth it. There is no competition for United at Newark. They can do whatever they want.

I will just say that wheels are the worst thing in the history of luggage. If you can't actually carry your bag, you shouldn't be able to call it a carry-on bag.

I (shudder) actually think checked luggage fees are fair and reasonable. If you add weight to the plane (fuel) and create work for luggage handlers you should pay.

However, I am staunchly opposed to those who break the carry-on rules. Those bags should not get as far as TSA; if they do, those individuals should get turned back before they're even allowed into the TSA line and returned to the airline counter to check them in and then have to go back to TSA a second time. Basically, over-sized "carry-ons" shouldn't get past airline check-in.

The idiots who try to take their life's belongings on board might argue with a defenseless stewardess, but TSA is a different matter.
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast