Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: United Airlines Cracks Down On Oversized Carry-Ons

My 2 cents……..great idea !!!
    Have been hit in the head many times as people try to put a bag bigger than they are in an overhead bin,,,,,or if a short tiny woman has a suitcase so heavy she can't get it up over head !!!!
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Costa Linda, Renaissance Ocean Suites, any place where there is a beach and tiki hut I am good 8)
    Quote Originally Posted by DiviDiviFan View Post
    Boy o Boy what a hot topic! I too agree with all of you and like TraceyD pay extra $$$$ just to be able to board USAIR in Zone 2. If I do not pay extra for my choice seats and Zone 2 boarding it is possible that by the time we board all the overhead space will be taken up by the people who feel they do not need to obey the rules! I do blame this on the airlines for charging for checked bags, but in reality they should be enforcing the carry-on rules and if someone has more than allowed or oversized they need to be charged like the rest of us honest folks. Bottom line, some people are just too darn cheap!!!! I realize some people may be hurting moneywise, but I do believe there are too many cheap and ignorant people out there (trust me I know some) who don't mind spending $$$$ on silly things so why not spend it on bags and start playing by the rules the rest of us do
    DiviDiviFan - I think that a valid point here is that people who are budgeting for a vacation and are tight on money should also be budgeting for bag fees. These fees have been in place long enough to where people are very aware of them, and should budget and plan accordingly. If they cannot afford to fly, and this includes baggage fees, they need to either suspend their vacation until they can save enough money, or not go at all. If part of the cost of flying now includes baggage fees, then that is the cost to fly. Period.

Costa Linda, Renaissance Ocean Suites, any place where there is a beach and tiki hut I am good 8)
    Quote Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
    I don't fly United but I can tell you that South West, American and Delta all enforce this rule. They have had the carry on size check thingies for a very long time. I see people arguing with the gate attendants about their large carry-ons all the time. They get very angry when they are forced to check it. Its not that hard to find a carry-on that's the right size.
    Where are you flying out of? Because DFW - which is an American Airlines hub - definitely does NOT enforce this rule. I see more and more people every time I fly abuse the bag size rule and it is enough to drive me up the wall! I wish American would enforce the rules at DFW airport more.

I am not the biggest fan of southwest but the two free checked luggage minimizes the amount of carryons people bring. We flew one leg of our Aruba trip in June with them (the other AirTran) and there was plenty of room in the overhead compartments. We only brought one small carryon for the three of us with some emergency clothing essentials. We will be flying them next June also and will again only carry one small bag since we can each check two if we want.
    Last edited by dmconn1; 08-07-2014 at 12:09 PM. Reason: My phone auto corrected incorrectly!

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    We are flying with United in two weeks. We received an email stating the new allowable carry on size. I measured our carry ons, which fit perfectly in the overhead bin, and they are a couple inches over the allowable size. These are the standard 21 in carry ons that come in most luggage sets that are on the market today. They are including the wheels and handle in the measurements. I have been going to stores all week and measuring the carry ons, trying to find something that will work. I was all for a requirement that restricted people from bringing oversized luggage on board, and trying to cram them in the overhead bins, but this is a little extreme.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    I agree, I did the same thing. There is absolutely nothing that is that size. I think what will happen is they will enforce it enough for people to stop being greedy with their carry ons. once that happens, they won't bother you if your carry on is an inch longer. my carry on is 21 x 12 x 9.75. I'm pretty sure they won't bother me. my husband's is 21 x 14 x 10. we are also flying 1st class so I'm just getting on the 1st class line and i'm sure they won't bother us. but there are no carry ons that fit their criteria unless you get something really small which is useless. it use to be linear inches so i'm not sure if they are still doing that. it use to be 44 linear inches.

Here are decent lists of carry-ons which comply.
    http://www.tombihn.com/blog/united-a...-bihn-bags-fit
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...2014-a-50.html

http://thepointsguy.com/2014/03/unit...o-into-effect/
    "What you need to know about the new policy:
    All passengers may be required to place both their carry-on and personal item into one of the new sizers before boarding. Expect no exceptions for elite level travelers and those traveling in business or first class. Do not expect staff to be swayed by protests from travelers who have flown with their bags for decades and know that it will fit easily in the overhead bins.
    United will collect checked baggage fees from passengers whose bags do not fit in the sizers. According to the United Hub web site: “Once they’re at the gate, bags that exceed carry-on size limits will need to be checked to your final destination, and will be subject to the standard checked-baggage fee.” Whereas United used to gate-check bags at no cost, passengers can now expect to be presented with the choice of paying for their bag or leaving it behind."

"Have a backup plan. Even when the dimensions of your bag appear to be compliant with the new policy, there is no accounting for the whim of gate agents under pressure to enforce this new policy who might find that your bag doesn’t fit easily enough, or that its handle is too large. Therefore, it would be wise to include a small cloth backpack or bag with your valuables, just in case you are forced to check your bag at the gate."

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Lisa, What's interesting about the United info is that one of the carry ons that United recommends does not meet their own requirements. They are now punishing the very people who have followed the rules all along. I talked with a sales person when I was measuring luggage at Macy's this week, and she stated that a lot of people have been in recently, trying to find new carry ons that will comply. She said that she was going to talk to the luggage reps to see how they were going to handle this, since almost none of the carry ons in their luggage sets meets the new requirements. I'm sure that will amount to nothing, since they are all mass manufactured over seas. I always include a small bag in my carry on to stash my necessary items, in case my carry on is taken away at the gate. That happened to us a few years ago on the way to Aruba when the overhead was full, and we were not happy campers. Ofcourse, on this particular trip to Alaska we are taking, we need more clothes than we usually need (including coats, hats, formal wear), and we really need that extra carry on space. However, we'll comply and do as we are told.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    lisa, that was a wonderful link. i saved it. i have a duffle style carry on. it does meet the requirements and i see it would definitely fit in the "real" sizer but what i intend to do since it is a duffle style is use bungee cords to squeeze it if the bulk is a bit too much. you can always count on lisa to find the real "FYI". thank you

Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    is use bungee cords to squeeze it if the bulk is a bit too much.
    You are welcome. I guess space bags would also serve the same purpose?

hatteras I found these bags mentioned as qualifying- Briggs and Riley U122CX Baseline, Travelpro Platinum Magna and CalPak Valley 20-Inch Carry-On Spinner. Briggs and Riley are REALLY expensive but come with a lifetime warranty. They will repair or replace anytime it is damaged. So kind of like its own insurance policy.

When we fly to NJ we are often on an Embraer and have to gate check even carry-ons, so something I had written up for my website...

The only guarantee against loss or damage to your valuables is to keep them with you.

Pack your carry-on in a way that if it must be gate checked, you can quickly remove your priority items:
    • Small valuables: electronics, an expensive camera.
    • Critical items: prescription medication, keys, passport, tour vouchers, business papers.
    • Irreplaceable items: jewelry, heirlooms.
    • Fragile items: eyeglasses, glass containers, liquids.

Take the items described above and pack them in a small soft bag, have them easily accessible in your carry-on bag. Then if need be, this small bag can go into your personal item- purse, back pack, laptop bag, tote bag- you will be carrying aboard with you. This can then easily fit under the seat in front of you.

Day to day I normally do not carry a large purse. I do not use a purse in Aruba, instead relying on dh to carry our room key. Instead of taking along a purse which will go unused, when flying to Aruba:

• From my purse which gets left at home, I carry my wallet, passport and other small items- aspirin, antacid, lip balm- in a cosmetics bag.
    • The cosmetics bag then goes into a large tote bag which serves as my personal item.
    • The tote bag holds my Kindle, noise cancelling headphones, iPod, jewelry and cell phone.
    • The tote is stored under the seat in front of me during the flight.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast