Aruba Beach
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: United Airlines Cracks Down On Oversized Carry-Ons

Tumi Luggage differentiates between International and Domestic (North American) carry on at the website (with bag measurements). Yes, the luggage is on the expensive side but it's indestructible. I've traveled, Mon-Fri, with their bags for over twenty years (all five bags are still intact and working) and they watch changing flight laws pretty closely. Really good warranty as well - they'll repair it all at any location in the world. They have outlet stores in the U.S. I couldn't travel without their two-wheel, carry-on duffel.

Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    is use bungee cords to squeeze it if the bulk is a bit too much.
    You are welcome. I guess space bags would also serve the same purpose?

hatteras I found these bags mentioned as qualifying- Briggs and Riley U122CX Baseline, Travelpro Platinum Magna and CalPak Valley 20-Inch Carry-On Spinner. Briggs and Riley are REALLY expensive but come with a lifetime warranty. They will repair or replace anytime it is damaged. So kind of like its own insurance policy.

When we fly to NJ we are often on an Embraer and have to gate check even carry-ons, so something I had written up for my website...

The only guarantee against loss or damage to your valuables is to keep them with you.

Pack your carry-on in a way that if it must be gate checked, you can quickly remove your priority items:
    • Small valuables: electronics, an expensive camera.
    • Critical items: prescription medication, keys, passport, tour vouchers, business papers.
    • Irreplaceable items: jewelry, heirlooms.
    • Fragile items: eyeglasses, glass containers, liquids.

Take the items described above and pack them in a small soft bag, have them easily accessible in your carry-on bag. Then if need be, this small bag can go into your personal item- purse, back pack, laptop bag, tote bag- you will be carrying aboard with you. This can then easily fit under the seat in front of you.

Day to day I normally do not carry a large purse. I do not use a purse in Aruba, instead relying on dh to carry our room key. Instead of taking along a purse which will go unused, when flying to Aruba:

• From my purse which gets left at home, I carry my wallet, passport and other small items- aspirin, antacid, lip balm- in a cosmetics bag.
    • The cosmetics bag then goes into a large tote bag which serves as my personal item.
    • The tote bag holds my Kindle, noise cancelling headphones, iPod, jewelry and cell phone.
    • The tote is stored under the seat in front of me during the flight.

Since I travel so much for work I have given up on carry-on altogether ....got so tired of dashing to get to my next flight only to find out there was no room for my carryon....Or, I would be on the plane in my seat, stored my computer bag overhead (and I do mean only a small computer bag), reading my kindle, and then am asked to put my ONLY bag under the seat because some lug with an oversized carryon needs to put his bag in my spot !!!!!!
    So, I gave up and now check my bags even if it is for an overnight stay. Plus, if when on vacation I try to buy my ticket far enough out that I can pick an exit aisle for Dh and I....so I absolutely want to put my stuff overhead...
    I did fly Spirit once and had to check my bags. The folks that had carryons had to pay also, but they had the luxury of being the first ones to board. Then, when the rest of us boarded if there was room overhead you were allowed to put your smaller bag in the overhead. Had I known that ahead of time I would have just stuffed my little bag more and carried it on.
    But, Hopefully the other airlines will follow suit and force the abusers to suck it up and quit bringing on oversized bags !!!!!
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    I'm reporting in to inform everyone about our experience with United's new carry on ruling on our recent trip. Altogether, we were on five different flights (counting the one where we sat in the plane on the tarmac for 90 minutes and were all herded off when they decided that they couldn't fix a mechanical issue). Most of the people appeared to be following the new regulations, but I did see a few people with larger carry ons. We never saw anyone checking the carry on sizes on any of our flights.

It's about time. I'm so happy to hear this I hope all airlines follow suit.

We were looking for a good value on new carry-ons that fit the American Airlines regulation - 22x14x9. It was not easy! It seems as though the luggage manufacturers have not caught up with these newly enforced rules. Everything seems to be an inch over one way or another. I'm super paranoid about not being able to keep my carry on with me. I wear plus size clothing (I hate that description, but it is what it is), so I am really nervous about having to check my bag on the way to Aruba. We've had a bag delayed before, so I'm always worried that I won't be able to just run out and buy replacement items that I am comfortable wearing. I'm happy with the bags we found today...and I'm ready to start packing them!
    Last edited by Traceyd14; 10-05-2014 at 03:28 PM. Reason: corrected size
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Aruba since 1979
    i hear ya tracey! what kind of luggage did you find today?
    and where?

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    We were looking for a good value on new carry-ons that fit the American Airlines regulation - 22x14x9. It was not easy! It seems as though the luggage manufacturers have not caught up with these newly enforced rules. Everything seems to be an inch over one way or another. I'm super paranoid about not being able to keep my carry on with me. I wear plus size clothing (I hate that description, but it is what it is), so I am really nervous about having to check my bag on the way to Aruba. We've had a bag delayed before, so I'm always worried that I won't be able to just run out and buy replacement items that I am comfortable wearing. I'm happy with the bags we found today...and I'm ready to start packing them!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    i hear ya tracey! what kind of luggage did you find today?
    and where?
    We bought two 22" carry-ons at JC Penney. The brand is High Sierra Sport. It was the only carry on we found in 3 different department stores that matched the size requirements. Our total for 2 was around $200 with sale/coupon prices.

Update - decent reviews on ebags.com and they are cheaper - $70 each with free shipping. They only have black though, we got the orange ones that will be easy to spot since we usually check on the way home when we don't have bag fees.
    Last edited by Traceyd14; 10-05-2014 at 04:11 PM. Reason: add info on reviews and price

Aruba since 1979
    Thanks good to know. We have been on the lookout for 1 rolling carryon.

It only has 2 wheels, no spinners. They are very light. Hopefully they will hold up, but we will only be using them 2-3 times a year which will help with durability.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast