Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: United - Checked Bag Fees

United - Checked Bag Fees

Anyone recently fly with checked bags on United? If yes, are they charging for checked bags when departing Aruba? New fees have united charging for all checked bags.

In the past, 1st bag was no charge. Additional bags were $25. Although we were charged for additional bags on the flight down, we were never charged on the return flight. Wondering if they have now started charging for checked bags in Aruba.
    Joe & Mimi

LIFE IS GOOD

Here's the US to Caribbean fees for United/Continental from their website:

Baggage fees for travel between the U.S. or Canada and the Caribbean, and for travel wholly within the Caribbean Departure location: $25 1st bag/$40 2nd bag. The fees apply in both directions.

If you are either a Continental/United Elite or Premier FF, you get 2 checked bags for free.
    Last edited by jeffnev; 02-21-2012 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffnev View Post
    Here's the US to Caribbean fees for United/Continental from their website:

Baggage fees for travel between the U.S. or Canada and the Caribbean, and for travel wholly within the Caribbean Departure location: $25 1st bag/$40 2nd bag. The fees apply in both directions.

If you are either a Continental/United Elite or Premier FF, you get 2 checked bags for free.
    Thanks Jeff. Am aware the fee policy is stated for both directions. It was that way in the past when 1st bag was free and a charge applied for additional bags. In the past however, we were never charged for the additional bag when leaving Aruba.

Thats the reason for me asking "has anyone recently been actually been charged for checked bags when leaving Aruba via a UNited flight?".
    Joe & Mimi

LIFE IS GOOD

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    I'll be leaving Aruba on United on Sunday. I'll let you know what happens. If you don't hear from me in a few days after, email me as a reminder.

They're all doing it now, with the exception of JetBlue. I also think American currently gives you one free bag, but that's sure to disappear as their bankruptcy progresses. What a shame.

I left Aruba a week ago today and flew home on Continental (which is now partnered with United) and was charged the additional $25.00 for my bag to be checked. I paid by credit card at the Aruba check-in counter. What a shame that just checking the one bag both ways added an additional $50.00 to the flight cost.

American also charges $25 each way for bags. They started that like 3 years ago. They don't charge you if you fly business or first class.

I stand corrected. I was on American Airlines website and tickets that were purchased after Feb 8th are allowed 1 free checks bag and $30 for the second checked bag.

That's good news!

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    I just got back from Aruba on United. Our first bag was free for each of us.

Quote Originally Posted by hatteras View Post
    I just got back from Aruba on United. Our first bag was free for each of us.

Thanks Hatteras for the update.
    Joe & Mimi

LIFE IS GOOD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast