Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: United Customer NO SERVICE

Thumbs down United Customer NO SERVICE

My parents flew with United yesterday, though only a domestic flight, customer service is just that customer service. I would chalk this up to one bad experience or one bad day, but I know of at least one fellow forum member who had a bad experience with United. I hope they share their story here as well.

My parents both have difficulty walking and had requested wheel chairs in advance.

Upon arrival at the airport in Newark, they approached the United customer service rep and told her that they had requested wheelchairs. The unsympathetic employee told them that they needed to walk the length of the terminal to find someone to call for wheelchairs. It is obvious looking at both of them that they have difficulty walking.

They finally got aboard their flight and there was no beverage service offered, only glasses of water.

De-planing my mother cut her leg on a jagged piece of the seat which was clearly sticking out into the aisle. Blood began gushing everywhere and a male flight attendant was able to get my mother to a place where she could elevate her leg while he applied pressure and they awaited the paramedics. The paramedics arrived and transported my mother to the emergency room where she received a number of interior and exterior stitches.

INSTEAD of filling out the accident report for my father, who was obviously upset, a female flight attendent thrust it in front of him and demanded he fill it out. Needless to say that did not happen and it will be delivered by mail.

My parents have only had terrific experiences with Delta. When you are a wheelchair customer with Delta, you simply need to request a wheelchair rep from a
    skycap and they are wheelchairs are prompt in picking them up. My parents have vowed to use Delta exclusively in the future when at all possible due to the way in which they were treated by United.
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 10-14-2012 at 09:53 PM.

Aruba since 1979
    terrible :-(
    how is your mother doing?

She has to go for further evaluation with her local wound care center tomorrow.

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Oh my gosh! Lisa, This is horrible!! We've flown on United many times and have had some small issues, but nothing like what happened to your parents. The people involved really need to be held accountable for this. I hope your mom (and your dad too) are ok.

Lisa,

You know I know exactly what you are saying,, United Airlines has treated me also the same, as far as having proper care for their handicap people.they ceertainly do not pay enough attention. Being I am one who needs wheelchair assistance, my trip in June, left myself, paying extra for 1st class, and exiting plane, no wheelchair, had to struggle up walkway, where I meant with a customer service rep, who said I called for one, so DH and I sat there waiting and waiting while the whole plane, pilots, all exit and still no wheelchair,, finally DH managed to flag down one of those big golf cart type things, and the guy couldn't believe that never send a wheelchair, anyway, he brought us all the way up to where there was a girl with a wheelchair, who was able to bring us down to the luggage area,, anyway , bottom line, gave us some points and I'm sorry kind of letter..Hope all is good with your Mom , please keep us informed

Aruba since 1979
    was there poor customer service prior to the continental united merger?

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Kathy, if you are in a wheelchair, the airline attendant should be able to take you to the end of the gate's gangway (the flexible canopy which leads from the building to the actual aircraft) where you can either walk onto the plane and presumably the short distance to your seat or, in the case of my 99 yo grandmother when she flew to Aruba in July, transfer to an aisle chair which actually fits down the aisle of the airplane and takes you to your row where you can then be transferred to your seat.

My parents have decided that it is easier for them to use Delta as often as possible and make use of their excellent special needs customer service, even if it involves changing planes in Atlanta.

As an aside I will also mention how much quicker luggage delivery was in Atlanta vs. Newark. Atlanta is a much larger airport...
    We'll see if we have the same experience next month comparing Atlanta and Newark airports.

Lisa, I am so sorry to hear what your parents went through. I am your mother is well soon!

My sister travelled up from New Zealand to L.A and then on to Canada. She experiencd a dizziness and low blood pressure before landing in L.A. United took her off the ongoing flight and refused to allow her to travel on to Canada. They did not offer assistance once the flight landed in L.A. until she created a real scene

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    was there poor customer service prior to the continental united merger?
    Continental service was actually quite good before the merger. We have a good friend who has been a Continental ticket agent at the intenational counter in Newark for years and she was telling us that the Continental employees have really been frustrated since the merger and feel that United's standards are well below what they have been accustomed to providing. Still no excuse for not having a wheelchair available and NEVER an excuse for being rude to your customers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast